Hearing loss-related to fms???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by VickyB, Jan 11, 2003.

1. VickyB

VickyB New Member

Does anyone else have problems with hearing loss related to fms? My hearing seems to get worse and worse as time goes on. I am curious if anyone else has this symptom?
    Thanks, Sleeper01
  2. popgun

popgun New Member

I have ringing in my ears and my range of hearing depends on the volume of the ringing.
  3. VickyB

VickyB New Member

So do you just live with the ringing in your ears or can hearing aides help with this? I become very embarrassed when I cannot hear what someone is saying to me even when I ask them to repeat it. I know there is not alot that can be done for the ringing, I am just wondering if hearing aides help with this type of problem?
    Sleeper01
  4. KathyM

KathyM New Member

I recently had an ENT appt. becauce my rt.ear suddenly was plugged up/couldn't hear anything at all in that ear. So after the doctor used a suction device, I could hear again. The doctor wanted me to have a hearing test after asking me a few questions, and I was shocked to find out that, my left ear had a 60% loss, and my rt. ear had a 40% loss. The doctor said it was nerve related, and that it is more of a heriditary type of hearing loss. He wants to see me again in six months. Who knew??? I had been asking people to repeat themselves often, and asking "what" so now I know. I just hope it isin't too aggresive/progressive; I am 42, and like many others, don't want to lose my hearing.
    Take Care, Kathy
  5. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

My husband is an Audiologist. I asked him again, and he said he's never heard of hearing loss being caused by FMS. It's probably a coincidence. If you experience hearing loss and/or ringing in your ears, you should be checked out by an ENT physician and/or Audiologist.
  6. Seagull

Seagull New Member

My FM and MPS came on after the car crash 10 years ago, but I did not start having severe vertigo until about 3 years ago and last year it left me with tinnitus in my right ear. It never goes away. The noise is a roaring sound that fluctuates between low roar and loud roar on a daily basis. The level of my hearing is in direct proportion to the level of the roaring sound. It drives me crazy as well as my family, who have to repeat everything they say or leave the room when I have to turn up the volume on music or TV. A hearing aid is no help.

The ear doctor I went to two years ago for the vertigo said that all the tests he ran (mri, eng (not sure of initials), hearing, etc.) showed that I have 3 small bone chips deep in my inner ear fluid that move around periodically. And, when they move, so do I. He called it a type of positional vertigo and said there was no cure for it, but my PCP did put me on medicine which did help to lessen the frequency and severity of the attacks. It does nothing for the noise, though.
  7. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I had my ears checked too and that is what they said about my ears too. That it was probably caused from nerve damage. I know after I had the shingles, post herpetic neuralgia, fms that the hearing loss started. I wonder if shingles can cause nerve damage in the ear?
    Please let me know, Sleeper01