Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ohmygoodness, Jun 5, 2006.

1. ohmygoodness

ohmygoodness New Member

I titled everything as ohmygoodness, not realizing that the title should be something...oh well this is my first night and my feet hurt a lot...
    did anyone have a hearing loss in relation to fibro by taking OTC"S before diagnosis for pain? For two years I did this and then a mild bi-lateral loss was diagnosed.
  2. dleaning

dleaning New Member

Does fibro cause hearing loss??? I will be devastated if so, because I am already 1/2 deaf and have ringing in the ear in my good ear.

Please tell me this is not true!!

Dawn
  3. Line

Line New Member

I have fm for 21 years and tintinitis (sp), ringing in the ears. Last year I had to get a hearing aid and tomorrow I am getting a second.

My Dr. says hearing loss causes tintinitis, I don't know if FM causes the problem but I do know I had fm for a few years before the ringing and gradually my hearing became worse.

Hugs, Linda
  4. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

I suspect I've had disease this since childhood. Severe hearing loss, due to nerve damage of an undetermined cause, started in my teens and has been progressive with plateaus. I did a search on hearing on this site, and didn't see much about it, so if it is caused in some way by FM/CFS it does not appear to occur as frequently as some other symptoms. Tinnitus, not necessarily associated with hearing loss, seems to be a more common complaint.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/06/2006]
  5. ohmygoodness

ohmygoodness New Member

Hi all,

I didn't mean the fibro caused the loss! I meant using the OTC"S before the proper diagnosis..

Thankfully no tinnitus and I do have hearing aids, such as they are! What?

thanks for your responses.
  6. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I was diagnosed w/ FM back in 1996. In 1999, the right side of my body went numb, and I lost partial hearing in my left ear that day.

ER doctor told me tests didn't show anything wrong. (Must be all in my head.) LOL!

So, I've often wondered if the FM caused my hearing loss!
    I will be discussing this with my new primary care doctor at end of month.

7. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I too, wondered if FM caused hearing loss. I didn't take OTC meds due to thyroid problems so I can't say it was those. The strange thing is that I don't hear ringing but hear "clicking" in the right ear, periodically but not all the time. Also have lost some of my hearing and need to be checked but haven't.

The problem is, I keep the TV up really loud, which living alone is fine but if I don't hurry and get it checked, I'm going to have to buy some hearing aids for Mr. Jenks, my puppy, LOL!

I have noticed that you always begin with ohmygoodness, LOL! Cute but sorry your feet hurt.

BlueSky555