heart arrhthmias

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by valliali, Jan 31, 2009.

1. valliali

valliali New Member

how common is it to develop heart arrythmias with cfs? would anyone describe that as their main symptom?
  2. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

pretty common, at least from what i read on here, and my own expierence, i have a lot of heart issues!!!scary to say the least. if you havent already you should get that checked to see just whats goin on, theres lots of heart related things we come down with, good Luck, Kat
  3. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

I'm not sure how common heart arrythmia is with CFS, but it's very very common in M.E.

I would not say it is my primary symptom, but my nervous system generally fails at regulating my heart rate in all ways, arrhythmia often being a part of it.
  4. valliali

valliali New Member

thanks for that suggestion, karyn. i thought, however, that me and cfs were the same thing???

i would definitely say that my heart problems are the worst of my symptoms.
  5. star273

star273 New Member

My Dr. prescribed Atenalol. I take 25 mg every morning and it helps so much with feeling like I am going to hyperventilate and the rythm is good again... I can tell when I go without it.. maybe ask your doc for that..

good luck
  6. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Hello again, val.

Unfortunately (as it hurts all categories) M.E. and CFS are not the same thing. The government agencies are trying to correct their mistakes after they've caused them, by trying to do the "ME/CFS" thing, but the fact of the matter is, they are not, and everyone with M.E. is waiting for them to realize that. I am one of them.

There were several outbreaks of M.E.--a viral-initiated neurological disease--back in the 1980s which alerted the government that something was up, so they created very loose diagnostic criteria and termed it "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" to do research on it. Those criteria were NEVER meant to be used as diagnostic criteria, but they were anyway, and now millions of people are getting the diagnosis of "CFS" based on these criteria alone:

* Severe fatigue without any other KNOWN medical condition (I capitalize that to note that this excludes any condition that the patient doesn't know they have yet, or hasn't had the proper testing to find)
    * Four (ONLY FOUR) of these: Substantial impairment in short-term memory or concentration; sore throat; tender lymph nodes; muscle pain; multi-joint pain without swelling or redness; headaches of a new type, pattern or severity; unrefreshing sleep; and post-exertional malaise lasting more than 24 hours.

So, for example: Someone who is fatigued for six months, has trouble thinking, multi-joint pain, unrefreshing sleep, and a new type of headache can be diagnosed with CFS. But, someone who is fatigued for six months, has tender lymph nodes, muscle pain, sore throat, and post-exertional malaise also has CFS. That alone can show that two people who have completely different symptoms, but only the similar symptom of fatigue, can be diagnosed as having the same illness. Even THAT doesn't make sense, but it gets worse. When someone has M.E., they always have an acute-onset viral infection that initiated it (though there have been cases of vaccinations followed by acute-onset viral infection that had also led to the disease). Note how that isn't even a determining factor for CFS. In M.E., there will always be neurological involvement, which includes cardiac irregularity and orthostatic intolerance, and there will always be immune dysfunction. Again, note that these aren't anywhere in the CFS criteria. In M.E., there is an incidence where too much sensory input, trivial physical activity, and even thinking too much, causes ALL symptoms to worsen, not just the fatigue. And muscle weakness is a major part of M.E. Neither of those things -need- to be present for a diagnosis of CFS, yet they are ALWAYS present in M.E... And yet, CFS and M.E. are supposedly the same thing? I think you see my point here.

M.E. is a neurological disease. CFS is a category of illness--not a specific disease--that M.E. sometimes gets thrown into. Hypothyroidism also gets thrown in there. Nutritional deficiencies. Hormone imbalances. Lyme disease. Psychiatric problems, rarely, but it does happen (just like any other misdiagnosis). CFS is either going to turn out to be M.E., or some other health problem, but it is not its own illness, which is why research keeps failing to pick up any consistent trend (you have a bunch of people who are very sick, but get stopped at the CFS diagnosis because their doctors pretty much tell them that's the end of the road). The reason M.E. gets thrown in the CFS category is because originally, that's what CFS was: the criteria the government used to research those M.E. outbreaks. But now, everyone has gotten grouped together, and only recently are these government agencies that we are depend on starting to figure out that there needs to subgroups of CFS to organize the mess they've made. It's really quite awful. But the seventh subgroup they've come up with does seem to apply to M.E., so there may be hope that they'll give M.E. its own criteria soon.

I hope this has been easy-to-follow and enlightening. =)

Back to your original point, and as an addition to my little bit of advocacy up there, there are many people with CFS who have never had any heart-regulation symptoms. However, I don't know a person who M.E. who doesn't have them. I hope you have had the proper testing to make sure nothing immediately life-threatening is going on!