Heart Cath...this week!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by granmama, Oct 17, 2002.

1. granmama

granmama New Member

Monday morning I started having chest pains, formerly dx as coronary spasms. But this time was different, the pain went into my left arm and the pain was more intense and sudden. It took 3 nitros to relieve the pains.

My primary wanted me to go to the ER and be checked out by their doctor and be evaluated. Everything, cardiac enzymes, ekg and blood labs came back normal. They called in a cardiologist and he suggested a heart cath to once and for all determine if I had a narrowing vessel or blockage. He called it the "gold standard" of cardiac tests. Other tests I had done a year and half ago showed normal as well. I was told to take nitro if the spasms returned.

My experience in the ER was awful! My back and hips started hurting and they would not give me anything for pain. Finally, before going up to a room they told me I could take one of my own Darvocet. They were aware of the Fibro and someone ordered me Tyl. 3 and Darvocet for my pain. Even though my bed was much more comfortable in a private room I still was in extreme pain. By 3am the next morning, I was given an injection of morphine into my IV.
    Wow, it really helped! I never got to sleep because they kept coming in to get more blood, which usually took 3 tries.
    By 10am, I was headed for the cath lab for my procedure. They moved me onto a narrow hard table to do the procedure. I was given Valium through the IV, but it did not relax me because I was still hurting from my Fibro. After the cath,
    the nurses moved me with the sheet back to my own bed. They sort of dropped me a couple of inches and I screamed with pain. I felt my back and hips had just dislocated from each other!
    I asked for Morphine and they gave me more then earlier, and it did relieve the pain.
    The cardiologist came out to speak with my family and told them that I had a young heart and no narrowing or blockage, and he believed it was the Fibromyalgia causing the spasms.
    Also, he did not want me to take nitro again!
    These spasms are very painful, heartattack like pain and I'm not to use nitro?
    I got to go home that evening, sore, tired and weak.
    But, at least I know that I have a healthy heart!

If ever I have hated FM the most, it was that day.
    My fibro still has not recovered from the trauma of the experience. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Thanks for listening,
    granmama
  2. granmama

granmama New Member

Monday morning I started having chest pains, formerly dx as coronary spasms. But this time was different, the pain went into my left arm and the pain was more intense and sudden. It took 3 nitros to relieve the pains.

My primary wanted me to go to the ER and be checked out by their doctor and be evaluated. Everything, cardiac enzymes, ekg and blood labs came back normal. They called in a cardiologist and he suggested a heart cath to once and for all determine if I had a narrowing vessel or blockage. He called it the "gold standard" of cardiac tests. Other tests I had done a year and half ago showed normal as well. I was told to take nitro if the spasms returned.

My experience in the ER was awful! My back and hips started hurting and they would not give me anything for pain. Finally, before going up to a room they told me I could take one of my own Darvocet. They were aware of the Fibro and someone ordered me Tyl. 3 and Darvocet for my pain. Even though my bed was much more comfortable in a private room I still was in extreme pain. By 3am the next morning, I was given an injection of morphine into my IV.
    Wow, it really helped! I never got to sleep because they kept coming in to get more blood, which usually took 3 tries.
    By 10am, I was headed for the cath lab for my procedure. They moved me onto a narrow hard table to do the procedure. I was given Valium through the IV, but it did not relax me because I was still hurting from my Fibro. After the cath,
    the nurses moved me with the sheet back to my own bed. They sort of dropped me a couple of inches and I screamed with pain. I felt my back and hips had just dislocated from each other!
    I asked for Morphine and they gave me more then earlier, and it did relieve the pain.
    The cardiologist came out to speak with my family and told them that I had a young heart and no narrowing or blockage, and he believed it was the Fibromyalgia causing the spasms.
    Also, he did not want me to take nitro again!
    These spasms are very painful, heartattack like pain and I'm not to use nitro?
    I got to go home that evening, sore, tired and weak.
    But, at least I know that I have a healthy heart!

If ever I have hated FM the most, it was that day.
    My fibro still has not recovered from the trauma of the experience. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Thanks for listening,
    granmama
  3. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

I am so very sorry to hear that you had to go through so much. I do hope you are on your way to recovering from your ordeal. I guess it makes sense that your heart muscles could be affected too..very scarey stuff sometimes. Thank you for sharing your experience with the board.
    Praying you have a comfortable night and a better day tomorrow.
  4. Girlof41

Girlof41 New Member

I'm am glad you have a young heart but sorry to hear of your pain. I hope you feel better soon!
  5. domesticgoddess

domesticgoddess New Member

2 weeks ago on a Monday - I was visiting my PCP has my doppler tests of my legs showed obstructions in both legs.

While at PCP I had what I called a 'Hot Flash' because I quit taking hormones on 7/16 because of the hype concerning breast cancer and strokes.

My birthmom (who found me in 9/00) had all her breast tissue removed (in the 70s'). Her sister (my Aunt) had a masectomy in the 80's. Both my birthmom and her sister had strokes.

PCP did an EKG & it was abnormal along with my blood pressure (180/118). He called my hubby on his cell phone & told him to come get me and take me to ER around 5 pm.

Long story short in ER from around 5:30 pm to about 8:30 pm.
    Gawd those ole black boards in the ER are AWFUL & the hospital bed I slept in Monday nite until Tuesday around 5:30 pm put me in a 'Major Flare'!

I'm unable to take any pain meds BUT rely on my Good Ole Muscle Relaxer - Flexeril (2 at dinner & 1 at bed time).
    However, was unable to get my meds Mon. nite or Tuesday (Bextra, Verapamil, Atacand, Lasix, Evista & alternate between Pamelor and Ambien at nite time.)

Cardio did order a shot of Morphine with Phenegran before my Nuclear Study of the heart. Didn't put a dent in my pain. During my Nuclear Study I was in so much pain, Cardio ordered Valium to be placed in my IV from my nurses' station. Needless to say, It arrived after my Test.
    And was released from the hospital 2 hours after heart test.

My Cardio also stated the "Myalgia" got so bad it gave me symptoms of a Heart Attack!

My PCP, Cardiologist and Myself are still perplexed concerning the doppler showing obstructions in both legs.

Me? I've had enough doctor visits & going to Ignore the doppler results as my dear hubby of 30 yrs this past June suprised me with a 7 day cruise with 2 other couples. We fly out on the 26th.

I Know I Know Not Good To Ignore!
    But Dang It - I want to enjoy my cruise!

Gentleness
  6. granmama

granmama New Member

Domesticgoddess,
    I would opt for the cruise. Heck, I go to a hotel again just for the experience of the whirlpool!

We must pamper ourselves and it sounds like your husband is catering to you and your relationship...so go for it!
    Where are you going? I would love to visit Alaska.
    Let's see: 6 pairs of thermals, down jacket, boots, gloves, hat, dramamine and lots of pain meds. Oh yeah, don't forget the wireless mattress pad. I think I would be set and ready to go, well we all need to dream occasionally!

take care,
    granmama
  7. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I don't know how much your doctors told you about the spasms and what causes them, but there was a heart surgeon on Oprah one day and he had alot of very interesting information for us. He said spasms are often caused by what we eat. If we eat lots of fast-food and food at home that is similar to fast food, our arteries spasm for up to 6 hours after the meal. He said some people can die from these spasms if they have narrowing of the arteries and there is a clot somewhere that won't be able to get through during the spasm. One thing to do besides improve our diets by stopping all fast foods, all starches, and all sugars, is to take magnesisum on a daily basis. Magnesium relaxes the muscles and it also relaxes the walls of the arteries, thus preventing spasms'. Magnesium is also used in ER in that it is directly injected into the bloodstreams of people having asthma attacks. It relaxes the airways, allowing the person to breathe again. Magnesium seems to be a magic bullet, so to speak, when it comes to our hearts and our airways. If you don't take it now, then get out, buy some and take it on a daily basis. It "could" very well be the answer to your problem. If it is, won't that be wonderful???

By the way, do you recall what you ate just before you had the spasms? That would be interesting to know.

Take care,
    Marilyn :)
    [This Message was Edited on 10/17/2002]