Heart or Chest Pains?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I experienced some mild but unusual (for me) pains in what seems to be at least vaguely near my heart.

Others with CFS seem to have experienced heart or chest pains as well.

Can you tell me how they feel to you?

Did you get them checked out?

This feels sort of like a combination of pressure and stretching, maybe toward the bottom of where I believe my heart to be. A "heart ache" might be a good way to describe it.

But very mild. I don't think I would have paid attention to it if people hadn't been talking about CFS and heart issues recently.

On the other hand, I don't recall feeling this symptom before.

Comments? Thanks!!

2. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Hi Lisa I saw you mention this on your famvir thread too but I thought I'd reply here.

I have had chest pains, along with SOB and palpitations. My pain was almost directly behind my sternum and was an ache that intensified on exertion. Mine was not mild although certainly not unbearable.

This really only occurs during crashes when I am so very sick and of course it was the worst during my initial acute triggering phase almost 3 years ago. Cardiologist couldn't find anything other than Tachycardia.

I would really follow you gut on this. Don't forget that heart disease is the leading killer of women and our symptoms are usually different from the classic male symptoms that the AHA touts.

BTW I'm fighting a bit of a sinus/cold thing too. When I first got CFS I seemed to catch every bug around. It has now been 2 years since I truly felt I had caught a cold or flu virus. Even when my husband has one I don't seem to get it.

Keep us posted,

Shar
  3. Catseye

Catseye Member

Hi Lisa, I had these. I finally described it as a tired, exhaustive type of ache that was centered in my chest. And when it was bad, I was bedridden. If I tried to do stuff, I got heart palps and made it worse. It wasn't the kind of pain you could take a pain pill for. In fact, meds made it worse. I kept complaining to the doc and going to the ER and they did a few tests, EKGs and stuff, but they always blew me off as a hypo.

I eventually figured out what was causing it: it was my liver. It wasn't happy. I had to do alot to fix it up, too. I ate only liver friendly foods, took some liver cleanse and liver support pills, digestive enzymes, lecithin to help digest fat and milk thistle. I noticed protein and fats made it worse because they overwork the liver. I finally figured it out when I came across "liver congestion", a TCM term.

Your liver is pretty high up in your abdomen. I was thinking it was my heart, too, at first. Lost of meds, protein or fats will do this to me still. I have to pretend mine is damaged and treat it accordingly. I did some liver posts awhile back mentioning, among other things, tylenol and NSAIDs; they'll do it, too.

good luck!

karen

maybe you're detoxing and it's getting overwhelmed
    and the TCM articles I read on liver congestion spoke of "chest tightness"

[This Message was Edited on 01/31/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/31/2007]
  4. balletdancer74

balletdancer74 New Member

Hi,

I've also experienced the "chest" pain which literally made me think many times that I was having a heart attack since my left arm often hurt too! Mind you, I was in my early twenties when this symptom started. I'm 32 now.

Turns out it's "just" CFIDS/M.E. and FM and tender/trigger points, etc.

Nevertheless, I had my heart checked out which I highly recommend. I really felt like I couldn't breathe and like an elephant was sitting on my chest.

Sometimes, the chest/heart pain is GERD...sounds crazy, but what's NOT crazy about CFIDS/M.E.?!?!? You may not have actual food/liquid reflux but still have GERD as you probably already know.

I hope your pain eases up and the doctors figure out what's going on.

Warmly,
    LB32 (Leeza)
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Lisa...

Usually I have no chest pains, but lately have had them.
    The other day i had to break one of blood pressure pills in half to take. I had taken my daily amount, but in the afternoon, what i thought was indegestion would not respond to Zantac.

i used the half of BP med and the chest pains ended.

This is all new for me.

I will have it checked next week.

nyrofan
  6. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

yes! I have chest pain on & off. I know it is a symptom. The other night the chest pain was due to a panic attack I suffered when I suddenly awoke from my RLS.
    You will still want to talk to your doctor about it.

fungirl
  7. suejackson

suejackson New Member

Hi, Lisa-

I've never had chest pains, but my younger son used to get them a lot (both of my sons have CFIDS also). Chest pains are very common in kids with CFIDS, less common in adults but not unheard of.

We've conferred with Dr. Rowe at Johns-Hopkins about both of our boys. He says that chest pains are usually a symptom caused by the Orthostatic Intolerance that is such a huge part of CFIDS. When we treated my younger son with Florinef and daily Gatorade for his OI, his chest pains pretty much went away. He only gets one occasionally now, if he's badly crashed.

You might be interested in checking out Dr. Rowe's very informative article on OI (it's located at the pediatric network but is also written for adults). It's filled with excellent advice on treating OI, which greatly reduces CFIDS symptoms. I don't know how to include a link, but here's the address:
    http://www.pediatricnetwork.org/medical/OI/johnshopkins.htm

Both of my boys benefitted greatly from treatment with Florinef. Unfortunately, it's rarely that effective for adults. Instead, I take Licorice Root three times a day, plus lots of fluids and salt. My kids carry Gatorade with them everywhere. I get my sodium and potassium from V-8 juice.

Of course, chest pains should always be taken seriously, even if you think you know what's causing them. My younger son had all sorts of tests done (all normal) before we started his Florinef. In the meantime, next time you get a chest pain, try drinking V-8 or Gatorade and see if the salt and fluids help a little.

Good luck!

Sue
  8. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I had all the heart stress tests done and had a catheter run some dye around the heart to verify no blockages. I gave my cardiologist a hard time but something was wierd.

It would get worse when I ate sugar or got cold (flaring?). This has improved now that I'm chelating out toxic metals.

There are lots of lymph nodes there around the lungs, are your armpits or under the chin swollen?

Do you snore? Hard breathing can cause a swollen cartilidge in the sternum. My wife gets that. My wife's problem seems to be due to an allergy to corn. When she eats a significant amount she snores terribly and the next day her cartilige is sore. The ER ran heart tests on her too.
  9. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

erosive esophagitis. I was having horrible chest pains after I ate certain foods and ended up getting pneumonia from GERD. I have been on PPI's since April 2006, and now I'm having to add Pepcid AC to that.

I have FMS and I knew it wasn't my heart because it was only after I ate and especially if I laid down within 4 or 5 hours. I would be up half the night a lot of times prior to meds.

I now have a wedge pillow that has been wonderful. I don't toss and turn like I used to so much anymore. My pain was a burning horrible pain that about drove me crazy. I would take a lot of Tums sugar free and a pain pill to stop the pain. Diet green tea seems to help with it too for some reason.

My doc did do an EKG and chest x-ray and some other tests.

I think anyone having these kind of pains should see a doctor and not do what I did and wait 4 months to get really ill.

For years I have a dry cough at night and was told it was allergies, but it was GERD all along.

I'm on a GERD diet and on a weight loss program to lose a lot of weight I gained since I was dx'd with FMS in 1996.

Hope you feel better. See your doc, just to be sure.

Take care,
    Faye

10. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I have had chest pains off and on with my CFS. Mine are also usually mild. I don't know how to explain them really. Maybe like a tightness not sure but it aches like you said.

When they are worse it really hurts to breathe in so I have to take short breaths but that is not the norm for me. Usually they are mild and just a discomfort.

I have had it checked several times since I also have heart palpitations and sometimes a racing heart. I have had EKG's and Echocardiograms but everything comes out normal. I guess it is just the CFS.

I would have it checked. Especially if you don't think that this is a usual symptom for you.

Take Care,
    Pam

11. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

In year 16 of my CFIDS, I began getting chest pains when I overdid and got really tired. It felt like my heart was aching, like any other tired muscle would ache.

At first, I ignored it, because it was very minor. I could still breathe just fine. But over the course of the year, the pain got worse and happened more easily. The pain radiated down my left arm and up into the left side of my neck.

So when I watched Dr. Cheney's DVD, I became very interested in getting an impedance cardiogram, and sure enough, the test showed that my heart is quite weak.

I guess I'll have to do some of the other kinds of heart tests to prove that it isn't being caused by my arteries clogging up. It's scary to have a symptom with such serious ramifications.

Since I increased my dose of Co Q-10 to 300 mg a day, and added L-Carnitine, my heart has been hurting a lot less. It hardly ever does now.

I like your idea, Karen, about the liver hurting. I think I've had that feeling too, at times. And I wondered what in the heck it was.

Love,
    Forebearance
  12. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I haven't had anything today in my heart area that seems strange, and so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I had no idea that this kind of pain is so common with CFS though.

Thanks for the information. I will see my internist if the problem returns.

Best, Lisa

13. kriket

kriket New Member

I am glad that you brought this subject up. I have had all of these same symptoms that everyone has described here, but was unaware that it could be attributed to CFS. I get stabbing chest pains, can't breathe, and have tachachardia and take med. for it.

I have been to the er with chest pains and had my heart checked out, but everthing seemed fine except the rapid heart rate.

Kriket
  14. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

What all of you are describing sounds very familiar. Does the below description of costochondritis sound familiar to any of you?

Costochondritis = Major & Chronic Chest Pain

The chest pain associated with fibromyalgia is referred to as costochondritis. It is an inflammation of the cartilage that joins the ribs to the chest bone. It is this inflammation that causes the sharp chest pains inside the chest wall. The pain of costochondritis often mimics the pain of cardiac problems, including heart attacks and stroke. This can be quite scary for some sufferers; however, costochondiritis rarely causes any physical complications. Its also frustrating due to the fact that mentioning any kind of chest pain in a medical center and they by law must check for a heart attach even when you know it is the pain from an extreme costo flare that has brought you into the ER.

What Does Costochondritis Pain Feel Like?
    Costochondritis pain is often described as a stabbing or aching pain in the ribs. This pain can wax and wane: some days it will be worse, while other days it will be much better. For me it is often like someone has beat my ribs with a whiffle bat while I slept. The mornings can be the worst time of the day for a costo sufferer. The sharp pain caused by costochondritis generally begins in the chest. This pain can then radiate outwards, attacking the shoulders, neck, and upper abdomen. Costochondritis pain can last for long periods of time and chronic costochondritis is not uncommon. However, most pain should be gone within 6 months to a year to years from the onset of symptoms.

Symptoms of Costochondritis
    If you have fibromyalgia, be on the lookout for these costochondritis symptoms:

sharp, stabbing pain in the front of the chest
    ribs that are sore to the touch
    pain on the left or right side of the chest
    upper chest pains
    burning pain in the ribs
    pain that radiates up the back of the neck and shoulders
    pain in your chest when you sneeze or cough
    pain that increases with activity, exertion, or deep breathing
    pain that decreases with rest, movement, or slow breathing

Costochondritis is also associated with other, secondary symptoms. These include:

rapid heart rate
    irregular heart rate
    shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
  15. sukis

sukis New Member

hi everyone,
    i get a pain near my heart, then the other side, for a few days like something pressing on me, i get it when i am doing nothing, i havent been docs for it i just but it down to ME love to you all sukis,
    ps i cant get on chat dont know why, it must be this new pc
  16. partlysunny

partlysunny Member

This is definately one of the more frightening symptoms I have had. The worst was during the onset of this DD. I had costochondritis about 18 years ago and this is different. It's not anxiety. Rheumie says it's muscles (surprise surprise). Total rest and ibuprofen helps me.

How it felt......When it was really bad I thought I was having a heart attack. I get a milder version of it now that I have realized my limitations......although I still tend to over do it at times. It's hard for me to give a description of the pains. It could be dull and uncomfortable to scary don't move painful.