Heart Pains..Result of ECG

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Diva55, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

I was recenly suffering more than usually severe "heart attack" pains. I have had mild bouts of these before but had got used to to the fact that they were FM related.

But recently they've been so bad that I couldn't do anything but shallow breathe for a long time and the awful pain stayed for ages. Then I was left with what felt like severe brusing. I very nearly called an ambulance out on one occassion.

So my doctor sent me for an ECG...well, it came back as normal!!

Now I should be pleased that everything is o.k. but how can pains this bad not be anything!!

Yes! I know I should count my blessings but in a way I wish they could find something that tests positive so they can treat me for it!!

I have to wait a week for the results of my blood tests to see what (if anything besides FM) is causing severe pains in my liver & spleen areas.

2. partlysunny

partlysunny Member

I also get these pains. My ECG was fine also (I had one Feb. 2006 with pre-op tests for back surgery). I get more discomfort om my left side than the right....I was worried about this, as I also have red cheeks and thought maybe lupus, but blood work was negative so I guess it's FMS.I'm curious to know how many others experience this.
  3. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Hi
    Yes I too get them mainly on my left side - in the heart area & spleen area.

It's just too weird, isn't it! That we should have such severe pains which seem related to the organs & the tests come back fine.

I don't normally panic over pains, as after all these years, I'm used to the random nature but these seemed more severe than normal & stayed longer & the pain management aids were not working.

I know a lot of people on the board do suffer with the heart attack type pains as I've seen a post previously. You might want to seach something like chest pains.

Best wishes

4. cczub

cczub New Member

Back in 2001 I started experiencing pain in my chest. I was on the left side and felt like a very bad stabbing pain that increased when I would breathe in... My first cardiologist missed it but the second on did and echo. I had pericarditis which is an inflamtion of the lining of the heart.

I suffered from this for about a year as it kept coming back. I was on and off predinisone for a year. Knock on wood I haven't had a problem since 2002. I also had a nuclear stress test and a cardiac catherazation done as well.

After this I started with my Fibro symptoms. At the time I didn't know it was fibro or even what fibro was. I actually believe the pericarditis is what started me down this wonderful road of living with fibro..

Good luck!
  5. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

You could try getting an impedance cardiogram. It is the latest thing in heart tests, so not every doctor has the machine. The machine that does it is called a BioZ machine. You have to call the company, Cardiodynamics, to find out who in your area has the machine.

This kind of test has been showing abnormalities in people with CFS. It shows how weak our hearts are.

It's a thought, anyway.
    Best wishes,
    Forebearance
  6. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

EKGs will only show changes if you are having a heart attack(MI) at that moment. Cardiac enzemes are a blood test that is done to see if your heart muscle is being damaged due to a heart attack. What I am trying to say is if your hurting and think its a heart attack you need to ask for cardiac enzemes to be ran along with a EKG..this is a standard of care. Having baby aspirin at home so you can take one if you start having pain is also something you should have. Women have differnet symptoms than men, but the normal symptoms are shortness of breath,nausea/vomiting, sweating, chest pressure or pain with or without radiating to the neck, a feeling of impeding doom. Women can also have back pain or no symptoms. You do not have to have all these symptoms to be having a heart attack. when in doubt it is better to go to the hospital as soon as possible...
  7. JustinD

JustinD New Member

Froggy EKGs will show more than whether you are having a hear attack at the moment. Many people have EKG abnormalities but are not having heart attacks. Additionally many who have had a heart attack will show abnormalities on a EKG. Actually the same is not true of the cardiac enzymes you mentioned. These are thrown off when damage is done to your heart and are usually only detectable for 24 hours or so.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/06/2007]
  8. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Thanks to all for the info given.

In the UK an ECG is a standard test to detect any heart problems. We have limited resources available in our National Health System so I don't know if I would get anymore tests unless I really insisted.

I'll see the doctor & talk to him.

Many thanks again
  9. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

I was talking strictly about a heart attack and realize that there are other things that a EKG will show like a bundle branch block or A-fib, etc...She had said her EKG was normal so I was addressing the fact that cardiac enzemes(especailly CK-MB) need to be drawn also. I have worked as a RN in Critcal Care for many years and did not write everything due to space but just directed it to what was not mentioned that needed to be done.Below I cut and pasted info on cardiac enzemes so I would not leave anyting out. A person does NOT have to wait 24 hours for these to appear in the lab work. Sorry if my message was not clear. If you read below this is the perfered method NOT the only method for detecting a MI. Sorry my SP is off, having a bad flare today...like always.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are several enzymes that are released when heart cells are damaged. A specific, sensitive marker that is present in 1-2 hours after the cardiac muscle injury continues to be sought.

Troponin T and I
    These are contractile proteins of the myofibril. The cardiac isoforms are very specific for cardiac injury and are not present in serum from healthy people. Current guidelines from the American College of Cardiology Committee state that cardiac troponins are the prefered markers for detecting myocardial cell injury.

Troponin I (cTnI) or T (cTnT) are the forms frequently assessed.

§ Rises 2 - 6 hours after injury
    § Peaks in 12 - 16 hours
    § cTnI stays elevated for 5-10 days, cTnT for 5-14 days

Creatine Kinase (creatine phosphokinase)
    This enzyme is found in heart muscle (CK-MB), skeletal muscle (CK-MM), and brain (CK-BB). Creatine kinase is increased in over 90% of myocardial infarctions. However, it can be increased in muscle trauma, physical exertion, postoperatively, convulsions, delirium tremens and other conditions.

Time sequence after myocardial infarction

§ begins to rise 4-6 hours
    § peaks 24 hours
    § returns to normal in 3-4 days

Creatine Phosphokinase Isoenzymes

§ MM fraction - skeletal muscle
    § MB fraction - heart muscle
    § BB fraction - brain

MB fraction

§ Rises and returns to normal sooner than total CK
    § Rises in 3-4 hours
    § Returns to normal in 2 days

CK - MB subforms

This test is becoming more popular. MB2 is released from heart muscle and converted in blood to MB1. A level of MB2 equal or greater than 1.0 U/L and an MB2/MB1 ratio equal or greater than 1.5 indicates myocardial infarction.

Myoglobin
    Found in striated muscle. Damage to skeletal or cardiac muscle releases myoglobin into circulation.

Time sequence after myocardial infarction

§ Rises fast (2 hours) after myocardial infarction
    § Peaks at 6 - 8 hours
    § Returns to normal in 20 - 36 hours

Have false positives with skeletal muscle injury and renal failure.