Heart palpatations after T3-has this happened

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ulala, Jan 12, 2006.

1. ulala

ulala New Member

to anyone else? The first day that I took 50 mcg of T3 I was feeling so strange that I couldn't go out all day. I called the FFC and they told me to stop taking it and then they re-started me on T3/4. That also made me feel a little strange but not as bad as the T3.

The T3/4 did stop me from feeling so cold, but my heart is still poudning from the T3 and now I've stopped the T3/4.

Last night I woke up very startled, thought I was going to die. My heart was pounding 104 times a minute for several hours.

An thoughts on this? I'm afraid to go to sleep tonight!
  2. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Hasn't happened to me. I take a very low dose of T3, but I understand this can happen and should be taken very seriously!

Sounds like it was very uncomfortable for you. Hope you feel better soon.

3. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

As I recall T3 speeds up metabolism by stimulating the adrenals and that would cause the palpitations (just like drinking too much coffee). Even though T3 is metabolized very quickly, if enough is converted to T4 I think it could cause symptoms for several days.

One thing that can really help is taking magnesium. That has always calmed a strong adrenalin reaction for me.

I take Thyrolar (synthetic T3/T4) and never have a problem. My dose is equivalent to 1 grain of natural thyroid and contains 12.5 mcg T3. Are you sure you were taking 50 mcg? That's so much...that's even higher than the normal dose for someone who's had their thyroid completely removed. The correct ratio should be 12.5 mcg T3 for every 50 mcg T4.

Jan
  4. ulala

ulala New Member

good wishes!

Hangingthere the idea of coconut oil is something I wish I could take, but I am allergic to coconut. I will try the kelp and see if that helps. I'm glad that you're having such good results with the coconut oil, it's better to go natural and then you can judge for yourself how much and when you need to take it.

Jan-I agree that 50 mcg of T3 is very high. My FFC Dr. seems to be very aggressive in his treatments. He started me on 3 grains of T3/4 before I got the results of my thyroid tests. The 3 grains was high for me and I opened up the capsules and divided them in thirds and took 1/3 per day.

He then gave me the 50 mcg of T3. I took one felt so uncomfortable that I had to stay home that day. I called his office and he was out for almost two weeks so they told me to stop taking the T3 and have more thyroid labs done. I did that and then they told me that they could not give me the results, that I had to go in to see the Dr. the folowwing week. That would have meant a $385.00 visit so I tried to get his assistant to tell me how much T3 to take over the phone. She wouldn't do it and wouldn't even return my tel. call.

The doctor called back the following week and said they were going to send me 37.5 mcg. of T3. The next day, instead of waiting for the 37.5 In the meantime I opened up a capsule and took less than 1/3 of the cap which would have been about 15 mcg. of T3. My heart was pounding so I called the doctor's office and they told me to stop taking the thyroid med. and call if the rapid heart beats didn't stop. That night is when I had the palpitations.

I still think I need some thyroid medicine but probably a very low dose. I read another thread about making sure the adrenals were supported before or during T3 treatment. My Dr. did prescribe Cortef but I don't want to start taking that steroid as I have taken it for years previously and it was difficult to stop it.

I hope I can get this straightened out soon!
    Thanks again!
  5. Wasabi

Wasabi New Member

Ulala,

50 mcg of T3 is a lot! Especially to jump right in and start at that high dose.

My doctor started me at 7.5 mcg and had me increase it by that much up each day until I reached 22.5 mcg. I am currently taking 22.5 mcg in the morning and 7.5 in the late afternoon.

Your resting heart rate should never go above 100. If it does, you're taking too much T3. In my opinion, your doctor should have you start at a very low dose to see if you tolerate it and then have you increase it in small increments.

You should also be closely monitoring your heart rate by taking your pulse 2-4 hours after you take your T3. If you're feeling jittery (like you're caffeinated) or have heart palpitations frequently or that last for more than a few minutes, you are probably taking too much T3.

At least, these are things my doctor told me, and he said that it's important to be very careful with this. I hope your doctor will perhaps have you start with a much lower dose.

Good luck! I hope it all works out well. T3 helps tremendously with energy when given at the correct dosage. Hopefully you'll be able to figure out the right dose for yourself.
  6. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Yes, I have had palpitations when the thyroid medicine dose was to high. Call them and tell them what`s going on. Its a scary feeling when that happens, I hate it. They`ll work with you.
  7. elsa

elsa New Member

I don't know what your T4/T3 med dose was, but starting right at 50mcgs is alot.

I started at 10, 25, 37.5 then 50. I am at 75mcgs now and will soon start taking another 25mcgs early afternoon.

It is complete trial and error. Heart racing is a sign that the dose is too high.

If you are an FFC patient then your T3 is time released. Openning up a capsule and taking part of it delivers a whamy to you. Tempted as we may be, timed or sustained released medication has to be taken in it's whole form.

I hope you are feeling better. Why would they charge you another 325.00 (or there abouts)? I thought that after the initial two visits that are paid up front, the follow up consults are 165.00.

Either way, stay on this. Thyroid treament can make a world of difference in how we feel in many of our CFS/FMS symptoms. You just have to find the right dose for you.

Be alittle proactive. Tell them you want to start lower ... ask for a specific dose ... in your case maybe 25mcgs.

Elsa
  8. sofy

sofy New Member

it is screaming at you and you need to listen to it.

I tried t3 and wound up having a whole cardio work up befor it dawned on my fuzzy brain what the cause was.

I started out with 5mgs and slowly built up but making even the slightest physical effort and my heart would pound out of my chest.

This can be very dangerous and not good for your long term health. If your body does not need or cannot tolerate t3 it will tell you.

I seriously wonder about the thought process of a doc who would give you such a high dose right off of a potentially dangerous drug.

Like anything else it can be a life saver or killer.

9. ulala

ulala New Member

your heart pound. Mine does the same thing, it also seems to start poounding after I eat and any rushing around, which is always.

elsa-I get T3 capsules from ITC Compounding, I don't think they are time release? What makes you think that they are?

wasabi-I question 50 mcg of T3 also as a starting dosage. My TSH was low and % positive cells was high. I don't know what that means but I looked up low TSH evels and that seems to indicaate hyperthyroid. I will have to check further.

I will have to check on the cost of visits after the first two initial visits.

Thanks!
  10. elsa

elsa New Member

My sister is a bio-identical anti aging HRT patient at the FFC (she does not have fibro) and her T3 comes from ITC Compounding pharmacy. On the label of her T3 it says S.R. ... That stands for "sustained release".

I get mine from a local compounding pharmacy and it says the same thing ... S.R.. I assumed based on that that your rx is also sustained release.

Take care,

Elsa
  11. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I too have problems with heart palpitations with any excertion, and afer eating. It comes and goes, depending on my over all fatigue level, and alway worse around PMS time.

However i do not take any meds. I don't hear too many talk of heart palp. so my ears alway perk up when i do.

Good luck Ulala
  12. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

And I'm doing okay. I do need to lose a lot of weight. I've had hypothyroidism since I was 9 years old and I'm 56 now.

I'm wondering if the heart pounding could be anxiety or nerves. I had that fron a new med I took on Monday and Tuesday and had to stop the med. I was having chest pain and fluttering. It was awful trying to sleep. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Took more Xanax and that helped me a lot.

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Faye
  13. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Yes, I've felt my heart beating too fast after I have taken too much thyroid medicine. Especially T3, since it is the active form of the thyroid hormone.

I agree with wasabi. Your doctor sounds like an idiot. (sorry to be blunt) Any time you're changing any hormone you take, it should be done very, very gradually to avoid shocking your body.

Hormones are really powerful, and everyone has a different sensitivity to them.

I happen to be extremely sensitive to hormones. I've had doctors prescribe me dosages that would have given me a heart attack, most likely. Luckily I know myself and I always start very slowly.

I completely ignore whatever the doctor tells me to take. I start gradually and figure out what dosage is right for me. I use basal temperature tests done at home to fine tune the dose.

Now I've worked with one good doctor for many years. I tell HER what dosage I'm taking, not the other way around. She just nods and says "okay". As long as my thyroid tests are okay, then she's fine. If my TSH is a bit high, she'll suggest I increase the dose.

I think you have to take your own well-being into your own hands, and not depend on doctors to do it for you. They are busy and some of them are clueless.

If you're interested, I take Armour thyroid (so great) and Thytrophin PMG, made by Standard Process. The Armour has T1-4 from pigs and the Thytrophin has just T1-3 from cows.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to say that this works for Cortef, too. I crush a 5mg Cortef pill and take a speck of the powder. You can break, cut or crush those pills. If you take only what you need, instead of an overdose, then it should be easier to handle.

Good luck!

Love,
    Forebearance
  14. ulala

ulala New Member

and the T3 does say S.R., the T4/T3 does not say S.R. Somehow I'm not sure if the T3 is really slow release because I opened the capsule and it seems like it is all the same powder.

Slow release meds from the pharmacy usually have tiny encapsulated granules that, I assume, dissolve at different rates. How can straight powder be slow release? Anybody? Thanks for pointing this out to me!

morningsonshine-heart palpitations after eating can mean allergies to something that you just ate. The are allergy tests that are based on heart rates after eating. These tests are supposedly the most accurate way to tell if you are allergic to something.

My heart used to race after eating a lot of things but it seemed to have stopped for years until just recently when I took the T3. The same thing is happening after mild exertion or stress.

Yours could very well be from allergies since you have not started any new meds.

Faye-what new med did you take that started your heart palpitations? Having the heart racing while trying to sleep is very scary, I'm glad that the Xanax helps you, I tried Xanax years ago but I woke up soaking wet in the middle of the night, had to change the sheets and then take a hot bath, only to have it happen again several hours later. Needless to say my Xanax days only lasted two nights.

I remember the doctor trying to tell me that the sweating was from hot flashes. Strange how I only had them on those two nights and never again.

Forebearance-I am like you in that I react to tiny amounts of meds. I usually cut any new tablet in quarters before I try it. I don’t' know why I took the whole 50 mcg. of T3. I know what you mean about having to take care of yourself, as far as dosages of meds, regardless of what the doctors say.

They seem to prescribe the "normal" amount. They don't realize that we are not normal! We should have a "fibro" normal coined for us. Then we could judge from that instead of the "normal" normal!

Is Armour different from T3? I'll look up the thytrophin-PMG.

I'm still having palpitations even after having not taken any thyroid for three days.

Stress?-yes that could also be contributing to the racing heart but I think the T3 has set this off.

Thanks for all of the great ideas and thoughts!

15. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

The med I started on was Vasotec to protect my kidneys from diabetic damage. I was on 5 mg. but the chest pains were really scary and then I got panic attacks from that. It is a BP med, an Ace Inhibitor. I was only on it for 2 days.

Speaking of sleep, that is where I'm going right now. :)

Hugs,
    Faye
  16. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

I have just had to come off T3 because it was making me soooo much worse. In my case, it is due to low adrenal function, even though I was, and am, having lots of adrenal support stuff. I have had about 7 days almost totally in bed and today is the first day this year that I have been able to get out for a social lunch.

If you have not had your adrenals checked, please do so. The doc. should not have put you on T3 without ensuring that your adrenals could handle the medication. If your adrenal function is too low, the T3 can really make you very sick. A 24 hour saliva test for cortisol levels is the most accurate.

Also 50 mcg is a bit high for a start dosage in my opinion - but I am not a doc., just a patient who is learning from personal experience.
  17. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I'm sorry to hear you're still having palpitations. Scary!

Armour thyroid has T1, T2, T3, and T4 in it, plus whatever undiscovered things exist in thyroid glands, because it is made from whole pig thyroid glands.

I find that it treats my symptoms better than synthetic thyroid drugs. I tried it because I heard other people with CFS saying this, too.

Love,
    Forebearance
  18. Frecker777

Frecker777 New Member

Ulala,
    Hey there. I have tried thyroid meds probably ten times in the past four years—different dosages, brands, and mixes of T3/T4. Every time I tried to take it, no matter how small a dosage, I got horrible heart palps, worsening anxiety, and insomnia (scary stuff). And every time I complained to my doctor it was some new excuse—either I was deficient in some vitamin or my adrenals were too low. I can tell you confidently that for me it was all BS—adrenal meds do the same thing to me as thyroid meds do (make me feel horrid).

Thyroid and adrenal medications are energy boosters and for us with CFIDS it seems like both a probable and uncomplicated solution. I suggest you push your doctor to look beyond the thyroid, since it may not be an issue for you. I also go the FFC and had to go through this—they are unlikely to stray from the thyroid issue. Wishing you the best of luck.
    -Carrie
  19. jane32

jane32 New Member

I just started the 50 and have felt ill for days. I called them on Thurs. told her that my heart was racing around 100 and she told me it was fine to stick with it. I think I took two by accident yesterday and I felt HORRIBLE -I thought I was dying. Mt heart beats that fast at rest. I think I will call again tomorrow and go back down to the 37.5 She acted like the 50 was not high though and that I shouldn't be concerned but now I am really worried after reading the messages.
  20. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

The reason I ask is because a few people are very, very sensitive to hormones. I'm one of them.

Did you try crushing your pill into powder? And then taking only a speck?

You would not believe how small a dose of Cortef I take. I said I crush a 5 mg pill and take a speck of the powder. Well, I used to do that. That's usually what I tell people because it's too hard to explain what I actually do.

Even that dose became too high for me, eventually. So now I go to a compounding pharmacy, get Cortef in 1/100 mg capsules, and then open them and take a speck of THAT.

So what would that be? Like 1/1,000,000 of a mg?

I go to all this effort because it does make a difference in how I feel. I can tell if I miss it.

My doctor, bless her heart, takes my word for it that that's what I need.

What most people consider a "small" dose is not nearly as small as you can go.

It is economical, at least. One bottle of hormone pills is like a lifetime supply for me. (except that they would expire before then, of course :) )

Good luck!
    Forebearance