Heart palpitations, anyone else have them often?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lease79, Sep 14, 2002.

1. lease79

lease79 New Member

Of late they are driving me nutty.
    I have alot of 'skipped beats' & today I had to race down to the Fire Station to open it when the siren went off.
    It took me a very long time to calm down my racing pulse afterwards. I thought I might pass out & all I did was drive there!
    I am 22, but feel 102. I can have 'palps' a dozen times a day :( They don't really hurt, they just 'grab' me.
    When I had alot of trouble with it at Christmas I had two large blood work-ups done (including cardiac enzymes), & a chest CT to check the heart. I have since had an ECG & everything has come back normal. This SO can't be normal :(
    I get puffed out & dizzy sometimes from walking to the kitchen :(
    Any ideas??? Anyone else like this???
    I have to wear a heart monitor for a week soon to check for specific problems. Does it sound like MVP?

Lease
  2. lease79

lease79 New Member

Of late they are driving me nutty.
    I have alot of 'skipped beats' & today I had to race down to the Fire Station to open it when the siren went off.
    It took me a very long time to calm down my racing pulse afterwards. I thought I might pass out & all I did was drive there!
    I am 22, but feel 102. I can have 'palps' a dozen times a day :( They don't really hurt, they just 'grab' me.
    When I had alot of trouble with it at Christmas I had two large blood work-ups done (including cardiac enzymes), & a chest CT to check the heart. I have since had an ECG & everything has come back normal. This SO can't be normal :(
    I get puffed out & dizzy sometimes from walking to the kitchen :(
    Any ideas??? Anyone else like this???
    I have to wear a heart monitor for a week soon to check for specific problems. Does it sound like MVP?

Lease
  3. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I get those too and I usually break out into a sweat. I wore a heart monitor around for a week and nothing showed plus I've had EKG done and xrays and of course nothing showed. I have to go to Cleveland Clinic sept 24 for a bunch of tests that I've never had done yet but probably like always..nothing will show...Its an awful feeling and they come on at any time with me..heart pounds real fast and I can see my heart pounding thru my shirt, dizziness, sweats and I shake all over. Scarey feeling...
    [This Message was Edited on 09/15/2002]
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Yes, I have that sometimes too. Its been less frequent lately since I started taking Pro Energy (malic acid and Magnesium), I had an attack so bad that it lasted off and on for three days.

Cactus Lil had happend to email me for other reasons, and I asked her about it. I forgot what she said it was, but asked if I had any Xanax here, well she suggested that I take a low dose three times a day for a couple of days.

I did what she said, and in two days it was gone. Thats months ago, and I only had one attack since.

You get all your doctor can do for you checked, it could be something important. Mine was probably caused from some anxiety in my life at the time.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

The test you need is not an EKG. It is an echocardiogram,which is an ultrasound of your heart. Be sure to drink as little as possible for tweleve hours before you have it done, as sometimes well-hydrated valves will not show a prolapse if it is mild. If you do have an MVP, be sure to drink one quart of water per 50 lbs. body weight daily from now on. That and a supplement of at least 60 mgs. COQ10 daily and a magnesium supplement of at least 300 mgs. should reduce your palpitations a great deal. I found I needed the COQ10 as the Mg alone was not enough. Also, try not to lift anything heavy with an MVP as that causes a drastic rise in blood pressure which will make the valve leak more, triggering palpitations. I have found that making sure I keep a routine with regard to meals also helps because going hungry, or thirsty, or being too hot or too cold seems to trigger problems. The above measures, plus having Xanax on hand for when it really gets going and won't stop, have reduced my palpitations by about 80%. Also, if palpitations ever start to make you get dizzy or feel you may pass out, make yourself cough really, really hard. That should knock your rhythm back to normal. Of course, if it turns out you don't have an MVP, just ignore all this! It took docs 12 yrs. and four echocardiograms to find my MVP, because nobody ever told me to spare fluids before the test, and I'm a water drinking fool! So, be sure to go thirsty when having an echocardiogram. Best of luck,
    Klutzo
  6. tonijo

tonijo New Member

I have this sometimes also. Afterwards does it feel as if you have a small animal laying on your chest? I know that sounds dumb but it how it feels to me.
    tonijo
  7. Harmony

Harmony New Member

After having all the heart tests, because of having palpitations everyday, the Dr. said it is a combination of Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia, anxiety, and it is also a symptom of Fibro. At one time I was told I had MVP and another time the Dr. said I didn't. I was told mine was sinus tachycardia which is benign. Still it causes you to feel bad with lightheadness and dizzy.

I now take 1/4 atenolol (a beta blocker) each morning and it helps alot. When it is bad and I need more than the atenolol, I take a small dose of Klonopin. That usually takes care of it. When I am late in taking the atenolol, my heart races like crazy until I take it.

Harmony
  8. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Calcium, Magnesium and Selenium all help to regulate the heart beat and rhythm. It cold be that you are lacking some of those minerals and should maybe supplement them. What you eat can also cause palps. Many of us are sensitive to food additives and any processed foods are LOADED with them! When I eat anything with msg in it, my heart goes about 110 beats per minute, plus my bp goes up to about 140/80, and it normally runs 110 or less. Hotdogs, bread, pastas, boxed foods, junk food and more...all of these have msg in them in one form or another. Grocers are also spraying an msg liquid over vegy's and fruits to keep them looking fresh and attractive in their produce dept. If you were in your upper 20's or older, I would then suggest that peri-menopause might be a reason for your palps. Estrogen surges cause our hearts to get out of whack on occasion, and especially at our time of the month! I get palps on rare occasion these days and I used to get them on a daily basis. They used to scare the heck outta me and would ruin my entire day. I would get so scared that I didn't even dare leave the house! They controlled my lifestyle for awhile. Not anymore! I don't get them very much these days and am thankful for it! I also take my supplements on a daily basis and don't eat processed foods except for some occasional chocolate things.

Many doctors also think palps are part of FM and they are probably right since FM is a disorder of the muscles and our heart is a muscle. In any case, almost all palps are harmless, so just relax and they'll ease up.

P.S. I forgot to mention that my husband told me he gets palps on occasion too, and that's really odd because he doesn't have a period and he's never been sick a day in his life. This guy has never even had a headache!! He said the palps don't bother him at all, but then nothing does. I call him "Iceman" because sometimes it seems like he has no emotions or feelings. :)

Marilyn :)
  9. lease79

lease79 New Member

I think that being pregnant has a deffinate influence over this.
    I have had minor problems with tachycardia during my last pregnancy, but nothing like this.
    I am deffinately going to have to think about getting onto Magnesium. My calcium intake is pretty good though.
    I tried to walk down the street today with the kids, but I got giddy the moment I stepped out the driveway. I think there is an element of 'panic attack' involved now too :(
    Thankyou all, I feel alot better knowing I'm not alone ;)

Lease
  10. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

If you're pregnant, then there is the definite possibility that your hormone changes are causing the palps. I'm sure you're just fine, but your fear about them is justifiable. I don't think any of us are comfortable with them, because they just don't feel right....yet doctors say they are "BENIGN"! As far as you getting that feeling when going outside...that's a little bit of agoraphobia sneaking up on you and don't let it get control! You're gonna be just fine, so get out there and enjoy yourself. (When I get palps, I take a very deep breath and they stop immediately) Sometimes when pushing my cart down the grocery aisle I'll get a surge or palp and I inhale deeply and put my hand on my heart and say "you go Girl!". I think it's good for us to talk to our heart....even Oprah does it. She's just like me in that she places her hand over her heart and thanks it for serving her so well and so long. Makes for a good relationship I'd say!

Marilyn :)
  11. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I have had heart palpitations from my late 20's and now I'm 50. They are benign but very frightening. I take a calcium channel blocker (verapamil daily) and a dot dose of a beta blocker (topral xl). My cardiologist also has me on a dot dose of Xanax. My heart checks out fine, not really MVP but the trace regurge in the valves. It's basically that my autonomic nervous system is very sensitive and little things like hormones, noises, a cold or asthma gets my heart pounding. Even I notice if I eat a heavy meal, I feel the palps. So I eat small meals daily, not too much sugar, no caffeine and doing better.
    BTW--yes magnesium is a must, as well as the coQ10 and a good vitamin/mineral combo.
    Tania
  12. lease79

lease79 New Member

so much for that Marilyn, you gave me a great big smile :)
    I felt pretty cruddy today, so I'm going to get onto the vits as soon as I feel physically up to it.
    Thankyou all again.

Lease