Heart Palpitations Etc.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LostHearts, Dec 21, 2006.

1. LostHearts

LostHearts New Member

I was wondering if anyone else is having this very scary problem.

My heart seems to be having problems that are beginning to really frighten me. For the last 4 months or so, I not only get a lot of irregular heartbeats, but sometimes it feels like my heart is almost throwing itself against my ribcage. In addition, it seems to stop beating for a few seconds, and then it feels like a heavy thud and it will start beating again.

For a while, I was getting horribly out of breath but since taking up exercising again, that has gotten better. However, my heart beats very hard after I'm finished using my cardioglide machine. This had never happened when I used it previously, about 2 years ago.

I have had an EKG and had to wear that little monitor for 24 hours to check my heart rhythm. My doc says all is normal.

Both my hubby and I have been under almost unbearable stress for many years now, but lately as our lawsuit was coming to a head (it's finally settled and we STILL haven't gotten our money) I notice these problems have increased a lot. In addition, my husband sister was able to gain what should have been my hubby's portion of his inheritance (stolen is actually the right word), which would have helped us greatly in so many ways. In other words, plenty of stressors. There are more, but you get the idea.

Pain levels have reached heights never before experienced. Also the fatigue has increased to a great extent also. I have Fibro, RSD and the awful fatigue that goes along with these conditions. But my major concern is my heart--I really feel like I am going to keel over from a heart attack or something like that, yet the doc says all is well with my heart.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on. Could it really all be from the extreme stress? My father died at the age of 46 from a massive coronary, and he was very stressed by financial problems and depressed before he suddenly died. Of course, that is always in the back of my mind as well.

Any responses would be most appreciated. It is, as I stated, very scary thinking I might just drop anywhere, at any time. It just happened tonight as I was taking the trash containers to the curb. It felt like my heart was going to give out and I was in a panic trying to get back into the house.

Please help with any ideas you might have or similar experiences. It's not dying I'm afraid of, but right now I would like to be around a bit longer to at least get some enjoyment from our insurance settlement. After all these years of pain, fatigue and stress, I feel like if my heart will give out it would almost be a relief. As you can tell, my depression is quite high as well.

Many thanks to all. Hope everyone is feeling their best.
  2. kriket

kriket New Member

Can you go and get checked out by a cardiologist? I had similar symptoms and was referred to a cardiologist and was dx with rapid irregular heart beat.

I now take toprol, which is a beta blocker and it really helps with the crazy beats and takes pressure off the heart. Really though, you need to get to a heart doc. and get checked out, especially with your family history!!!!

Kriket
  3. Catseye

Catseye Member

I had a couple of EKGs or whatever, but nobody seemed concerned except me. Beating funny, stopping, too fast and just plain terrorizing me. Then I read Cheney's article about low blood volume and the heart. Sometimes I would be breathing normally but it would feel like I was drowining, not getting enough air. But nobody cared. Anyway, the way he said to fix it is simple: increase preload and reduce afterload. It has to do with the way the ventricles are loading. So increase your magnesium intake (make sure you are getting at least 400 mg of an easilty absorbable form of magnesium like magnesium glycinate. I take a chelated mineral supplement everyday, it's easily absorbed. And drink a good electrolyte solution (not gatorade) 2-4 times a day.

Also, magnesium, calcium and potassium are responsible for regulating heartbeat. And since we're all malnourished and can't absorb nutrients well, you have to search out the most absorbable forms of vitamins and minerals that you can find, even if they're more expensive. And take more of them than the regular RDA like normal folks can get away with. Like the Kreb's Cycle Chelated Mineral Supplement I take.

I also take magnesium aspartate and potassium aspartate, about 1000 mg of each everyday. They are easily absorbed and are known to increase energy in cfs patients. I now only have an occasional flutter, not even enough to bother me after the last 4 years of hell.

The mineral thing really put an end to the fake heart attacks and all, look into minerals!

have a nice xmas!

karen
  4. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

The picture in your bio is beautiful. I had to flip back to see it a second time. :)

The cardiologist sounds like a good idea. Your own impression of how your heart is doing is probably more accurate than the monitor thing. Plus, some docs say something's fine even if it's just barely within the acceptable range. Go with your guts.

((hugs)) Shannon
  5. jole

jole Member

If you have had it checked out, I agree with Karen. I have the same problems, worse with stress. I noticed if I am not hydrated enough it is definitely worse, and in times of stress we tend to forget to drink as much as usual.

Also, if you have anxiety, that may be some of the problem too. I found by taking a small amount of Xanax at the times it is the worst will sometiimes help also.

I feel for you. This is soooo scary, and I have worried about it for years also, then finally just decided that it is mostly anxiety or dehydration in my case, and I try not to let it worry me. Spending time thinking you are going to die is not fun or productive, and may actually lead us to other symptoms!!! We are our worst enemies at times.

Try the mag, etc., but don't overdo it. Stress can and does do strange things to our bodies. Best of luck to you.

Friends - Jole
  6. chloeuk

chloeuk New Member

I have had palpitations for a year now and saw cardiologist and had tests my resting heart rate was over 100 bpm. It was discovered that I have a b12 defiency and had an injection and my palpitations went away, after 8 weeks they returned and had my b12 checked again and it had gone lower than before, I had another injection and they went away again...palpitations are listed if you look up b12 defiencey...get yourself checked, we put so much down to stress and that isnt always the answer...hope you get something worked out..sometimes as hard as it is you have to let go of the stress that you have no control over...you dont have to be happy about it but if there is nothing you can do about it then you have to find some way of accepting it...good luck
  7. LostHearts

LostHearts New Member

I am most appreciative of all the responses here. To tell the truth, it did not occur to me that a deficiency of various nutritional substances might play a very important role in my problem.

You see, I have lost my appetite over the last several months due to both some of my meds and a lot of stress. And as so many of us know, it is often impossible to prepare meals a lot of the time. I do try to drink milk to keep my strength up, and do take vitamins made for those with fibro (when I remember to take them!), but as someone pointed out our bodies really don't process nutrients properly.

Last night it happened again as I dragged the empty trash container to the back of the house--felt like suddenly I was going to keel over and my heart simply POUNDED. Took some deep breaths and it settled down.

I had begun an exercise program about 3 months ago, and have reached 1/3 of my target number of reps. There has been improvement in breathing, but the heart still pounds too hard after I get done. That's what is so scary.

Good idea about the cardiologist. Although the tests done back in September were all normal, no stress test was performed. This is something which I feel should be done in order to show how the heart is working when it is pushed a bit.

All the suggestions here make sense and all are worthy of trying. Again, my appreciation goes out to all who responded. May everyone have a wonderful Holiday, and if there are any further developments I'll be sure to post.

Sharon

P.S. Like the comment about my profile pic! Couldn't resist putting that up. Love the look on my face; wonder what I was thinking at the time????

[This Message was Edited on 12/23/2006]
  8. Catseye

Catseye Member

Milk can make everything worse, including the heart issues. My heart was even worse on milk. When I finally realized it, I stopped drinking it and noticed I felt better in just a couple of days. It will make you feel good and strong at first, right when you drink it and it does have B vitamins, but after a few days, it makes me so ill that I think I'm dying. The only way to tell is to stop drinking it for weeks and see if you improve. It's not just because it's full of fat, or we could all drink skim milk. Milk is just one of those things like wheat, that are not well tolerated by people with these diseases. It's just too hard on the body, it absolutely does not do a body good!

It also makes your blood acidic which will make you feel crappy. I have even emailed the American Dairy Association myself asking questions and I asked them if they could guarantee that milk was not detrimental to my health. Their answers are strangely elusive. That means THEY even know it's bad.

It took me a long time to figure out milk was holding me back. It's not obvious, you don't have any of the traditional allergy symptoms like you would think. You will get lots more energy from veggies. Cut them up really small and boil a bunch of different colored ones together in chicken broth that doesn't contain msg. Or get canned ones from the health food store, stay away from cheap, crappy brands like Campbell's.

I think it has to do with a combined effect of the high saturated fat content, the reaction of the immune system to the milk proteins like casein and maybe even lactose intolerance. All these together means you can't get away with using Lactaid or skim milk. Besides, the cows are loaded up with hormones to make them produce 30 times as much milk as a normal cow and they give them antibiotics because they all are prone to teat infections, they don't even WAIT for them to get sick anymore.

You may love your milk and you may be able to drink it again one day, but for right now, absolutely stop drinking milk! If you need further encouragement, see notmilk.com. Don't switch to soy milk automatically, though, you can still have problems. Try rice milk, it's basically tolerated by everyone. Almond milk is good, too, but I seem to have developed an intolerance to almonds since I've been ill. This means no cheese, no yogurt and no ice cream until you recover! At least try it and make sure.

good wishes,

karen
  9. LostHearts

LostHearts New Member

Soy Milk. I really love the Silk brand Vanilla, especially if it is ice cold. It is soooo smooth. The rice product would be my second choice; pretty good but like soy better.

No ICE CREAM!!!!! I am addicted to it, no kidding..:(

BTW, do you know that other cultures, especially Asian, think we are crazy to drink milk. It is only for babies (mother's milk) and calves. They find it odd we would even touch the stuff.

I think the milk industry is afraid to go into the area of all those nasty additives they give the cows. Does give one food for thought!
  10. Catseye

Catseye Member

Oh, you're making me remember how much I tormented myself over the milk thing! I loved milk, I ate cereal and milk 3 times a day up until I got sick. And then when I was sick, I started drinking Horizon's organic milk and their organic chocolate milk and it was soooooooooooo good!!! I thought organic would be okay, but I was sadly mistaken. Raw, too, I have tried and it's not okay, either.

Unfortunately, soy is bad, too. The Silk one you're talking about was another one of my favorites, I switched to it after I realized regular milk was hurting me. And I can't tolerate it, either. It took another long time to figure THAT out, too. This is how they make soy:

" After presoaking beans in an alkaline solution, the resulting paste is cooked in a pressure cooker, eliminating key nutrients and producing low levels of the toxin lysinoalanine.

After that, the production process becomes a matter of cleaning up the undesirable, beany taste of soy milk, either by presoaking beans beforehand with baking soda or "deodorizing" them using a process similar to refining oil. Sweeteners (raw cane crystals, barley malt or brown rice syrup) and flavorings mask any remaining "beaniness." " - so it's basically just another "processed" food, and soy milk is the waste product of tofu!

So that's why they make it "vanilla", not for us vanilla lovers, but to mask the poison! That does give you a hint, though, try adding a tiny bit of vanilla extract to the rice milk to make it taste better. I never drank the rice milk by itself, I was using it for whey protein shakes and soy shakes. But, of course, I finally figured out I couldn't tolerate THOSE, either, and I wasn't crazy about rice milk alone. So I've just ditched milks altogether.

My diet has been cut down to nothing I used to like, little by little. Today, for example, I had 1/2 an apple and a few grapes for breakfast. I just finished a glass of veggie juice: spinach, beet, carrot, garlic and lemon. The apple and grapes will be the highlight of my day, next to the fish I'll have for lunch. The juice sucks. But I feel so good right now, I don't care. A small price to pay to be free from hell, is how I look at it.

I still go crazy when I see a Breyer's ice cream commercial, though. I used to love just plain vanilla and mint chocolate chip. We should sue the food companies for getting us addicted to all this tasty stuff and then having our quality of life "shattered" because we found out it was killing us! Food as a luxury is over for me, the food companies have profited by making me sick and then constantly tempting me!

Oh well, at least I had a good 30 years of ice cream and all.

If you look at mercola.com you can find all the reasons soy is bad if you want all the technical stuff.

sorry, I know this can't be making your day, but it will end up making your day another way: you'll feel better!

good luck

karen
  11. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

My guess is, you were thinking, "What? Me slow down? Okay, but just for a second!" :) Those running shoes you're wearing have a lot of wear on them. You must have been some little fireball! lol

((love)) Shannon
  12. limbo

limbo Member

I had been under extreme stress too with legal issue's with my ex but had noticed some palpitations after some event or was very tired and had a stress test, cat scan,the works and was told I had a irregular heartbeat and was put on 25 mg toprol and my cardio said it would cause fatigue. Well I couldn't function, so take half now. It took months before the stress level was somewhat better. We are hard wired for stress, and palpitations is a symptom of fibro, but docters are not aware of this. I drink soy milk for IBS and have had good results with homeopathic docter and DO, course decaf coffee is a must. Happy Holidays
  13. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Hi Losthearts,

Of course you already know to go see a good cardiologist. For many years I wondered if my heart played a role in my ill feelings but frankly, was too embarrased to go to a cardio because I felt like people already thought I was a hypochondriac.

Anyway, my neuro sent me to one this year I had a tilt table test and an echocardiogram done. The tilt was positive for orthostatic hypotension and positional orthostatic tacchicardia syndrome (POTS). The echo revealed a mitro valve prolapse.

These conditions cause symptoms like you describe so it might be worth looking into.

I take Toprol XL. It definitely helps the tacchicardia but I have to watch my BP as I already run hypotensive (usually around 95/55).

I hope you find answers soon.

Sofi
  14. LostHearts

LostHearts New Member

My mother was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse just last year, and I hear it can run in families as well as being a symptom connected with fibro. She was also so anemic (she could barely walk) that she was admitted to the hospital as an emergency case and given I don't know how many units of whole blood. Her problem was a silent, slow bleeding ulcer caused by one of her NSAID meds. I wanted to get her to sue her doctor for not ordering blood tests for over 1 1/2 years until it was almost too late.

Also the drug company--forget which drug it was. But she doesn't want to be bothered so what can I do. I don't take NSAIDS because I know that I can't, having had a bad experience many years ago after just one dose of Naproxen.

Gonna make a note of those tests and ask my doc after the New Year to order them for me. Thanks!

15. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

You're right Losthearts, MVP does run in families. In fact they say at least 30% of your primary relatives will have it if you have it.

Many times MVP causes no symptoms but then there are people like me (and maybe you) who fall into the syndrome category.

Good luck pursueing your testing.

Sofi
  16. Catseye

Catseye Member

I get everything at the Vitacost store and the company that makes them is Enzymatic Therapy, the Kreb's Cycle Chelates. I just did a long post about the chelates and other minerals I take, look at my post called "Kreb's" that I answered to "barrowinnovations".

Merry Christmas!

karen

17. Catseye

Catseye Member

thank you mcourtney!

You know who I'd wish would give me the time of day, though? My cat, Cleo. Ever since she grew up she's so unaffectionate. Any ideas? Any hope she'll change with age?

merry xmas!

karen
  18. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

By reading all the stress you've been under and the corrleation of the increased stress to your heart palpitations, I would say it's probably just your adrenals going overboard and creating too much cortisol. Cortisol makes your heart beat faster and too much can cause palpitations. Try to get some rest, relax. Take some L-theanine, it's very calming. Anything to slow you down. And no coffee or tea or anything with caffeine which will excite your adrenals. Also, try taking some Calcium with Magnesium 1000 to 2000mg before bed - it will slow down your adrenals.
  19. Catseye

Catseye Member

yeah, there is. Problem is, my blood levels of aminos may be normal like every other blood test I've ever had! ARGH!! Look at Mike's post "Anyone else helped by Tyrosine?" We've been posting about aminos and I just did a couple of long posts about them yesterday and today.

Every test I've ever done has shown I am fine, all levels normal, and all it did was earn me funny looks and get me labeled a "hypochondriac".

So I take my amino blend powder and a few high dosages of certain aminos and it's working for me.

metametrix.com does amino acid profiles that must be ordered by your healthcare professional, they won't say pricing so it's probably pretty scary.

Have you tried Dr. Teitelbaum's Daily Energy Enfusion powder? His special blend for cfs of vitamins, minerals and aminos. It's really great stuff. If you hadn't already heard, he had cfs himself when he was in med school. He's really one up on it.

happy xmas day!

karen
  20. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

Hi,
    I am sorry to hear that you are not feeling well right now. I have read the many posts you have recieved and there is alot of good info in them but I would not play around with suppliments when it comes to your heart. Please be sure to follow-up with the medical doctor on this. It could be something as simple as the stress that you have been under but it is better to be safe than sorry! I hope you feel better soon so you can enjoy that settlement!
    God Bless,
    Bob
    [This Message was Edited on 12/25/2006]