heart palpitations when trying to sleep

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by jman1987, Feb 24, 2012.

1. jman1987

jman1987 New Member

About four years ago I began having some heart palpitations and I went and got some tests done. I had a normal ekg and echo and nothing showed up on the holter monitor I had to wear so my doctor concluded that I was taking in to much caffeine as I was drinking a lot of soda every day. I layed off the soda and the problem went away.

However, this week I began having more sever palpitations and shortness of breath when trying to fall asleep. I can't fall asleep and if I do I am awoken by the palpitations every 5-10 minutes or so. It is worrying me because these are more frequent than four years ago. There's no pain or anything but just a general discomfort in my chest area and a little light headedness. I should say that I was very exhausted when it started because I drank a lot this weekend and had a really bad hangover and couldn't eat much. I also began taking a vitamin supplement every day beginning a couple of months ago. Do you think that could have something to do with it? Or maybe sugar intake? I still drink a lot of soda but caffeine free.

by the way, I am a 25 year old male in pretty good shape.
    l
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is a new, or worsened, symptom and they should always be reported. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  3. misskoji

misskoji Member

I agree, this should be reported to your doctor.

I have had bad palpitations before, from dehydration. This is possibly what happened here, since alcohol can easily dehydrate us.

I hope you find answers soon. Please let us know.
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

I think you need to be evaluated again by your doctor.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Mine went away when I got my hormones and thyroid balanced. My daughter, who is a nurse, said to bear down while holding your breath for just a few seconds to stop the palpitations. It works!

Love, Mikie