Heart Palpitations with Infection

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by equanimous, Dec 3, 2010.

1. equanimous

equanimous New Member

I recently developed a racing heart and heart palpitations at the onset of a sinus infection. They still haven't gone away and the only thing that makes them better at all is antibiotics. Has anyone else experience heart problems in conjunction with a bacterial infection? Thanks.
  2. spacee

spacee Member

No, that sounds pretty bad. Are you seeing a cardiologist or infectious disease doc yet?

I have the racing heart (tachycardia) and palps all the time but not with the sinus infection.

I hope you get better really soon!!

3. equanimous

equanimous New Member

I saw a cardiologist, and he confirmed that I was having heart palpitations, but he didn't really know anything about CFIDS and was convinced that they would just go away on their own. I suppose an infectious disease doc would be the next course of action. I was hoping there might be some kind of supplement I could take. I know my coenzyme q10 levels are really low. Could that be contributing to the problem?
  4. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Hmmm ... I know that heart beat abnormalities can be brought on by electrolyte imbalances, to it's possible the sinus infection exhausted your immune system and the rest of your body and your minerals and electrolytes are depleted.

You could try adding electrolytes like diluted gatorade- not straight from container it's WAY too sugary- or EmergenC packets with water and keep that up for a bit and see if the heart palps go away.
  5. Jayna

Jayna New Member

Electrolytes are good. I have a basic powder that contains calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium and some other stuff (all natural) in easy-dissolving formula. It goes in all my water and helps keep my body's electrical signals working (that's what makes your heart beat on time).

Your body has an energy deficit. It's like a car engine with only enough power to either run the motor or the heater (or air conditioner, depending where you live) but not both at the same time. Every second of every day it has to choose to whether to keep some vital system - like your heart - running or make emergency repairs to something else - like your sinuses - that broke down.

Your body does the best it can with its limited resources to keep you alive. You can support that effort by giving it the supplies of nutrients and rest it needs to get on with the job, or you can oveload it with junk food, chemicals, socializing and other energy-drains and then whine when it breaks down.

Most of us do good at the first for a while, then blow it all on the second. Getting a balance is hard. I spend a lot of my limited brain power working out ways to have more fun/less misery while keeping the body's energy balance functioning. And one of those key ways is to be EXTRA NICE to your body when it's sick with a sinus infection or anything else.
  6. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Are you sure you haven't also developed an ear infection? That can cause heart symptoms indirectly, but it usually occurs in viral ear infections, not bacterial.
  7. spacee

spacee Member

Treating a know CoQ10 defienicy may help.

And putting the electrolites in may help.

I think you are in uncharted waters here. I have been reading this board for a number
    of years and don't remember reading about something like this. Heart palps yes, but
    stopped with antibiotics, no.

What kind of antibiotics. There is some evidence posted on another board that doxycycline
    effects XMRV virus to a certain degree. Fights it.

8. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

I think that was minocycline you're thinking about, but it'd be great if doxy did it as well :)
  9. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

an Impedance Cardiograph.

And, yes, I would see an Infectious Disease dr. immediately.

See post about Wash. Post Ad coming out MONDAY; XMRV
    has been in all the news, where HAVE you been?

Look, folks, I'm not saying this is caused by XMRV, but I think
    an Inf. Dis. Dr. should take a look, ok?

10. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

Search "Impedance Cardiography" here, in Search box above!