Heart Palpitations?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ~Sibyle~, Dec 5, 2005.

1. ~Sibyle~

~Sibyle~ New Member

Hello all!

I have been a member here for about 3 years but I have not posted in a LOOONG time :)

I am looking for some information about heart palpitations. I juat recently started having this trouble after the birth of my youngest son. He is 6 months old now.

I have been told by my doctor that it is "harmless". I am scared though because it is such a wierd and scary feeling when it happens. Almost as though my heart stops beating for a few microseconds and then flutters back to life.

Does anyone else have this? Is it truly harmless?
    I am worried that my doctor is ignoring a serious symptom because that I am young (26).

2. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

3. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

A certain amount of heart palpitations ARE normal; however, I have developed Atrial Fibrillation which is NOT normal. If your Dr. has checked you out you should be ok. It is really hard to diagnose AF as the heart will race or miss beats and they have to catch it doing those things. It sometimes takes a long time.
  4. ~Sibyle~

~Sibyle~ New Member

I wouldn't worry so much except that it happens many times a day.

He didn't really check me out at all, just said that it is normal and nothing to worry about.
  5. chubby

chubby New Member

Hello,

I have had heart rythm problems for a long time, including atrial fibrilation and palpitations. I find that when I take a magnesium supplement my heartbeat is nice and steady, when I don't, it goes whacko. Intravenus magnesium is sometimes used to treat atrial fibrilation. Enough magnesium is vital to the heart functioning properly.

Magnesium oxide is not well absorbed, so use something better, like magnesium aspartate, citrate, or oratate, or a combination of all three. It should work in a day or two if it's absorbed properly.

Good luck.
  6. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

About this time last year I was having terrible heart palpatations. It was down right scary. My brother has them too ( must run in the family ).

Anyway, the doctor had me get an EKG, heart echo, and wear the monitor for a day of two.

All of it came out normal. Then, all of a sudden it went away.

I've only had a couple of palpatations lately, but not like before.

If your doctor checks you over, and finds nothing, then I wouldn't worry about it. My opinion, it's nerves. I didn't think I was stressed out, and nervous, but I had just started into another aspect of my job that I had never done before, and I think it had a bigger impact on me than I thought.

Kinsie
  7. justlikemom

justlikemom New Member

I spent some time in the ICU this summer because of the chest pain and palpitations I had. They ran a bunch of tests (EKG, echocardiogram, take home monitor...)

The cardiologist told me it was a heart block, but nothing to worry about. His theory was that it was a reaction to the Toporol XL I was taking... I have since stopped taking the Toporol but still get the palpitations. They come along with my herxing... for me the palpitations are related to my Lyme disease, but I have been assured they are not serious.

However, I have also been warned that if they get more frequent, or if the chest pain or shortness of breath comes back that I need to see a cardiologist again.

Get checked out by a cardio, just to be sure it's nothing serious.
  8. proteinlady

proteinlady New Member

Your doc needs to provide you with the basic standard of care for heart palpitations. You should be put on a holter monitor for at least 24 hr. If palpitations show up you need to have a stress echo to ensure that your heart funtions correctly with increased work load. Most of the time the palpitations are inoccuous but your doc neds to provide the standard of care for the problem. If the palpitations are bothersome to you, your doc can put you on a low dose of beta blocker to decrease ot totally eliminate them.
  9. Notonline

Notonline New Member

I had these too after having my son...they haven't gone away completely but have gotten much better. See if you can get your Dr to check you blood iron levels and maybe thyroid function also, if he hasn't already done so.

In my case my iron levels were very low and it contributed a great deal to them...

{{{Hugs}}}
    Danny
  10. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

I have associated my heart palpitations to caffeine intake. I also take Cymbalta and I think the two don't mix for me. Since I have stopped the caffeine there have been no palpitations or anxiety feelings. It's been great.
    Hope it's that easy for you.
    Hugs, Nanna
  11. CinCA

CinCA New Member

And also it has been in the past few years (I think since my 4 y.o. daughter was born, too). I know exactly what you mean...it's like my heart "skips a beat". I've mentioned it in passing to various doctors I've seen over the years, and none seemed concerned. It also doesn't happen for several months, then it's a few nights in a row (and it almost always is at night, when I am in bed trying to fall asleep). Those nights I often just feel "off" nutritionally (I haven't eaten much or well for a long time), so I also wonder if it's tied to mineral levels, magnesium, etc. You can always try taking a multimineral supplement and/or tracking your diet to see if that plays a role (if you think that could be a cause).

If you really are worried, I'd suggest discussing it more with your doctor or getting a second opinion. Good luck!

C.
  12. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I would see a cardiologist and have a 24 hour Holter Monitor test done.

Heart disease is a major problem with women, and unfortunately, some doctors still do not recognize it. Believe me, if a "man" complained of a arrythmia, they would give him all the tests.

Please don't give up, ask your doctor for a referral to a cardiologist. I found out a long time ago, it is up to us to look after ourselves.
  13. ~Sibyle~

~Sibyle~ New Member

I wanted to let you all know that I tried someones suggestion about caffine. I normally have 2 Cokes in the morning. This morning I only had one. So far I have had no trouble.

I still wanted to drink one because if I don't I will get a headache. Guess I need to wean off the sauce, LOL.
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't seem to have them as much and I'm wondering whether it's because I'm doing better. Just saw my cardio this morning and he is pleased with my progress. All my cardio testing came back perfect.

If I miss my hormones, I seem to have them. Perhaps changing hormones contribute to palpitations.

Love, Mikie
  15. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

I know this may be a sorta old post, but i wanted to say, i too, have suffered with these scary palps, that started after the birth of my youngest son, he will be 19 in March '06.
    Afters years of ER visits, thinking I'm dying, up to 20 or 30 papls a day, lots of tests, I have been off caffiene for 4 years, best move I've ever made, have recently had to go from 20mg of Toprol XL to 50mg. Potassium can also help. Mine or benign, not harmful but never the less scary and bothersome to say the least, YOU are not alone!
    Best Wishes, Karen
  16. unbalanced

unbalanced New Member

I get these flutters too, I was told that some people who have FM/CFS have an irregular heartbeat at times, I wore the holster monitor for 2 days & not once did my heart do that I was mad I wanted the doc to see this!