Heart Pauses

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by asilnna, Jun 16, 2003.

1. asilnna

asilnna New Member

Does anyone else get heart pauses?? My heart actually seems to pause for a beat or two and then goes again. This happens about once a month for a few days, off an on throughout the day but mostly at night. Anyone??

Thanks,
    asil
  2. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hi Asil! I too get those heart pauses. I'm 38 and had fibro since I was a kid. I had many tests on my heart especially EKG's, I could probably set up the EKG myself. Medications have made this problem worse for me, especially Elavil and Paxil, but I'm not on them anymore. You might want to check out any medications you are on because they might make this problem worse. Cutting out caffeine completely and taking magnesium is what helped me with the heart pauses and the palpitations, I barely have them anymore. Obviously, you should talk to your doctor about this, but cutting out caffeine I feel would be good for everyone, not just fibro people. Take care and good luck. Hugs, Chelz.
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

75% of Fibromyalgia patients have a Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP), and a good portion of us have Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome (MVPS).
    The feelings (called palpitations) you percieve as pauses, really aren't! They just seem that way. They are called Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVC's for short). If they happen at night when you lie on your left side, they are almost certainly due to an MVP.
    You need to see a Cardiologist and have an Echocardiogram done. This is a quick and painless test which will let you know if you have an MVP. It is important to know, since the valve may leak a bit, and though this is not serious, if yours leaks, you will need to take antiboitics before all dental work, even cleanings, and all other operations that involve blood, in order to avoid the small risk of bacterial Endocarditis that is posed by the leaking valve. Be sure to drink as little as possible for 12 hrs. prior to the Echocardiogram so the MVP will show up if it is there.
    There are meds that can help if the palpitations from the PVC's get bad, but there are some things you can do to help yourself before resorting to meds.
    Once you have a diagnosis, be sure to drink at least a quart of water for every 50 lbs. you weigh per day. In otherwords, if you weigh 100 lbs. you should drink at least 1/2 gallon of water daily.
    Take at least 60 mgs. of COQ10 every morning with some food that has fat in it. It requires fat to be absorbed. It will help ease palpitations, increase energy and keep your heart strong. If you are under 30, you can ignore this part, as you are probably not deficient in COQ10 as most over 30 are.
    Take 400 mgs. Magnesium daily, preferabbly at bedtime. take any form of it except oxide or carbonate. Glycinate or asporotate or citrate are good sources. Work up to the dosage slowly to avoid diarreha. Do not take calcium within 2 hrs. of taking the magnesium.
    You can do a websearch to find out more about MVP and MVPS. MVPS is a syndrome of the nervous system, which includes Fibromyalgia as one of it's symptoms.
    Klutzo

P.S. to Chelz - I see you have had EKG's, but have you had an Echocardiopgram, and did you avoid drinking much before the test? MVP's are missed 40% of the time, and it is usually due to the patient being well-hydrated, which helps keep the valve looking and acting more normal. While it's true that drugs like Elavil can make this worse for sure, the underlying problem is still usually an MVP. Because I did not know about sparing fluids before the test until I'd had Fibro for 12 yrs., it took FOUR Echocardiograms and much suffering from palpitations, tachycardia and panic attacks (which is what this can progress to, esp. in patients that have MVPS not plain MVP) before my MVPS was finally diagnosed.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/16/2003]
  4. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Thanks to Klutzo's suggestions I haven't felt it at night for about 2 weeks - I was getting them every few days. I know how distressing it can be to feel like your heart has stopped or skipping beats. I have had the PVCs show up on a 24-hr heart monitor but all other tests were normal. The cardio I saw said they were nothing to worry about - I didn't go back to him. I bet he wouldn't say that if he felt them!!

I've always drank a lot of water but I've increased it in the evening now, taking the CQ10 (30mg w/breakfast and 30 w/dinner) and taking ZMA which has magnesium (purchased from the store on this site) before bed. Not only do I not feel the heart irregularities but I'm sleeping much better!

My advice is to please try this before taking meds.
    Thanks again Klutzo!

Hugs,
    Shaky
  5. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

That's not actually what it is. The way my doctor explained it was that normally your heart goes ka chug, ka chug, ka chug, very regular and even beats, then out of the blue the "ka" will only be half of what it usually is, so the "chug" is twice as hard to make up for the weak "Ka". Now is that as plain as dirt? I understood it, at least enough that it didn't scare me anymore. It happens to everyone, even people that aren't sick, it's just that most don't notice it....Doc said it even happens to her.

Marilyn :)
  6. lease79

lease79 New Member

having horrible heart palpitations when I was pregnant with Ethan. I mean I get them here & there anyways, but we are talking everytime I did something. And I was having alot of them :(
    They scared me SOOOOOOO much.
    Thankfully since he was born they have settled down again.
    I think Marilyn explained it well ;)

Lease
  7. ragamuffin

ragamuffin New Member

Greetings! About "heart pauses" and (seeming?) to stop breathing: I've had CFIDS since 1980 and have had these two symptoms for the past 22.5 years, but MOSTLY IN HOT WEATHER *or* when I overexert myself (gardening in summer, doing Christmas things in winter). While it can sneak up on us for no apparent good reason, it does seem to be aggravated a lot at times by pushing ourselves too hard.

I just in the past week started my summertime bouts of the oh-so-disconcerting heart pauses/stopping breathing (the weather here only recently turned hot) and only just tonight joined this messageboard . . . I am sorry that others of you suffer from the same things, but it was good for me tonight to find that I am not alone with these symptoms! Thanks, everybody!

Peace,
    Christine (we are one day closer to a cure/cures for CFIDS/FMS! Yippee!!:))
    [This Message was Edited on 06/17/2003]
  8. patchwork

patchwork New Member

i.e that it happens generally once a month ,then it's possible that its due to a tiny point of inflammation on the heart and that when you have a high hormonal level the higher level passes thru at this point and stimulates the heart more than normal. Usually hormones,especially adrenaline pass thru into the heart at sites called Beta receptors. You should see a cardiologist and if it is due to inflammation he/she may put you on Beta blockers which stop so much of any stimulant in your blood passing thru.If possible get the cardiologist to give you a 24 hour test with a holter moniter as although you don;t feel them you may be having more events than you realise.
  9. asilnna

asilnna New Member

Thanks everyone for the advice and tips. I will definitely look into the information provided. I have an apointment on Tuesday and will now have a basic knowledge of what to expect thanks to you all!!

asil