Heartburn from Drinking Water

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, May 30, 2003.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I know a lot of people with FMS also have acid reflux disease (GERD), and I know that for most people, the acid is worst after meals and sometimes when lying down or sleeping. I seem to get it frequently from drinking water! This can be a big problem, since everybody seems to say you should drink a lot of water during the day. I try, but lately even just taking a swallow of water seems to kick up the acid. That makes it very hard for me to drink anywhere near the amount of water I'm supposed to drink.

I already try to watch what I eat, and I take Prilosec (and Tums and sometimes generic Zantac 75) to try to control the acid. As I said in another post, my doctor has referred me for an endoscopic exam to rule out Barrett's Esophogus, but I'm just wondering whether anybody else gets "the burn" from just drinking water.

--Laura R.M.
  2. tansy

tansy New Member

I used to be very chemically sensitive. Could not swim in chlorinated pools, I would have a red burning rash all over my body, so the doc I saw then suggested I stick to bottled water or bought a filter jug. The filter will remove most of the chlorine.

Just a thought but perhaps that's why you're having problems.

Cheers

Tansy
  3. wildchild224

wildchild224 New Member

Yes, I have gotten heartburn from water for many years.
    People look at me like Im nuts. Dont worry - happens to some people - you not a freak! lol
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

When I first started drinking water, I had all kinds of problems swollering it. It would feel like a chunk of meat in my throat, or it would choke me, or come back up sour.

I tried a few brands of bottled water, finally tried the Evian, its the only one I can drink. Maybe because its very light and sparkly, don't know.

I also bought the Brita filter, its not too bad.

You might be drinking too much at a time. Try just sipping it and see what happens.

I can't drink large amounts of anything at once. I have to just keep taking small amounts untill I get my two bottles a day down! I also have acid reflux. Same goes with food.

Hope you find what works, the water is important for you.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. healing

healing New Member

I find that drinking everything with a straw helps.
  6. tansy

tansy New Member

It's the only one that feels like it's quenching any real thirst I might have. It's also the only one that leaves my mouth and throat feeling as if I have had a drink. Only Spa water comes anywhere near it, my filtered water is better than the others. Evian isn't thought to be the purest but my body clearly thinks it is.

I too use a britta jug, we have special filters in the UK for hard water areas and it's more effective here. Use it because I like to cook with relatively chlorine free water and it's cheaper than drinking Evian all the time.

Cheers

Tansy

7. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Thanks for responding, everybody. I use bottled water and Brita-filtered water, though not exckusively. I haven't tried Evian, but now I think maybe I will. At least I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who gets heartburn from drinking water!

--Laura R.M.