Heat & Air Conditioning

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hermitlady, Jul 6, 2011.

1. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I cannot handle the summer heat and am finding that the AC makes me feel ill also...headaches galore. Anyone else have this problem? I feel like I need to wear a hat inside the house (always have to wear warm hats in the winter).

My family tends to want to freeze themselves out and I'm always turning up the temp to 80 or so. What's a girl to do? I need to get out some fans, altho they're all covered in dust since last summer and being stored in the garage! That means I have to clean all of them first, grr.

Summer is my least fav time of the yr....too much heat, kid stress and my depr always kicks in harder. Just had to adjust meds once again to avoid being locked up so to speak! I can't wait for fall!
  2. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Just had to reply when I saw your post because I too cannot tolerate air-conditioning! To make a long story short my dad said, why don't you try a swamp cooler they actually work better and don't "freeze you out"! So.....my hubby actually found one at a yard sale that was pretty new for only $25 dollars. He came home and installed it and OMG, it is just wonderful! It cools down the house really great but doesn't feel like it's as cold and dry as airconditioning! It feels nice and cool and adds moisture to the air as well! We now have 2 in our home and I never get too cold during the summer! I'm so happy to finally be "comfortable" and to also not be too cold anymore!

Maybe you can borrow someone's just to try it out! Good luck and I hope you get lots of replies.

Best of luck, Julie
  3. Jittle

Jittle Member

I cant stand the summer more and more each year.
    I go outside and feel like I am living on the sun, and then I begin to itch (is this normal?). I am ok in the air if it not too low except for when I sleep, and sometimes I need to shut it off because i can't take it anymore. We also have an energy efficent house: Unfortuatley for that our air runs through on main wall of the house (its wierd) and it is loud. By August I am ready to go nuts.; Cant wait.[This Message was Edited on 07/07/2011]
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I live down here in the jungle, SW FL, and cannot do without it. Even if it weren't hotter 'n Hades, we have to run it to control the humidity so we don't get mold growing. I don't turn down the thermostat, just enough to be comfortable. I'm used to it. Just had to replace the air handler part of the system. Oy! Expensive!

I don't think A/C is good for us. It dries out the skin and sinuses. I have found that an electrostatic air cleaner helps and also makes the air feel cooler at a higher temp.

Love, Mikie
  5. rickj44

rickj44 Member

Try a dehumidifer for the hot humid weather..
  6. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for posting about the swamp coolers. I had never heard of these before, so I googled it. This is the perfect solution for my daughters in their warm apartments and they can totally take them with them when they move. Thanks so much for the information!!

7. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I would gladly take some of those 60 degree days we had a month ago. We have a/c at home and it is ancient--wish the landlord would update it--would save a ton in electricity, but its better than nothing.

I grew up with swamp coolers and I remember them always keeping the house at a nice temp.

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just adding an attic fan will do the trick. It takes all the heat out of the space overhead and vents it outside. In CO, it's all we used in the old days. Of course, now, houses all have A/C. A dehumidifier is a good idea but we still need A/C here due to the heat itself. That the A/C dries out the air is just another benefit. Most of us have humidistats which we can set so that the A/C will only come on when the humidity reaches a certain saturation point. Paradoxically, in the summertime when the A/C is on, I have to run a humidifier in my bedroom at night to keep my sinuses from drying out.

Love, Mikie
  9. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Yep, tried the swamp cooler last summer. Spent a chunk of money on a good portable one but it didn't last long unfortunately. I just have to keep my AC thermo up to about 80 or so, any less than that is too chilly unless I'm up and moving around a lot. Gotta have it a bit cooler when I attempt to vac and do housework.

The humidifier idea is a good one. My dh has a lot of sinus/allergy problems so that would be a good idea for him too.

Stay cool, but not tooooo cooooool.........
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Change the water in the humidifier and keep it clean. The last thing that those of us with sinus problems need is a fungal infection. Oy! It's a balancing act. Too many balls in the air.

With my new air handler, I can get by with 78 degrees unless, as you mentioned, I need to move around more. At night, I like it a bit cooler and usually set it for 77. Most of the time, it's cool enough that it doesn't run through the night. The fan in the new air handler is much more powerful and I can really feel the air moving around when it's running.

Love, Mikie