heat and humidity

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klar, May 28, 2012.

1. klar

klar Member

Anyone else feel horrible when the temperature and/or humidity levels rise?
  2. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Hi Klar, Yes I feel bad with heat and humidity. I cannot take it anymore. I'm considering a move to Alaska! No, no, now wait, I don't do well in the cold either. lol

3. klar

klar Member

Hi Michele,

I think Alaska sounds pretty good, too!! Especially when hot flashes combine with the heat and humidity--poof, I have exploded!!
  4. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Well, Klar, I think we are going to have to find a rich donor who will pay for us to live in Alaska in the summer and then come back home in the winter. I think that is a real good solution.

I too have tried the cold packs when it's too much. There are companies that sell cooling vests and other items for those like us who between the hot flashes from hormone loss and the intolerance to heat our illnesses cause, feel like we are a campfire half the time.

QVC use to sell and maybe still does, these neckerchiefs that have some kind of stuff in them that when you soak them in water and put them in the fridge, they get nice and cold. Then you just tie one "stylishly" around your neck and they keep you cool for a good 20-30minutes. I loved them so much I gave away all but two from a multi pack I bought. Then the next year of course the brain fog did not help me remember where I had put them away. Still haven't found them! I've been sweating ever since! So attractive! NOT! lol

Hugs,
    MicheleK
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Bed Bath & Beyond sells neck tubes, like the ones sold to take on airplanes, which can be put in the freezer or fridge or into the microwave for heat. I own two, one I keep in the freezer and one I can put in the microwave. I had a pinched nerve in my neck a while back and alternated cold and heat. The cold one would help when it's hot and humid. My Mom used to have me put my wrists or feet in cold water and that really helped. She put a tub of ice water in front of our fan, this was before the days of A/C, and it helped too.

I live in SW FL and it stays in the 90's for months on end. I acclimate to it every year after about a month. The other six months' weather is to die for. What makes it nice here is that we don't get a lot of fronts with vascillating pressure. It's nice in the mornings and evenings but afternoons, we all stay inside with the A/C, go to the pool or hang out at the beach. Even the beach is too hot for me as the sand gets really hot. Also, I can't tolerate prolonged sun exposure. I know drinking iced drinks isn't the best for us but it does cool me off.

A/C decreases humidity inside so guess I'll just wait it out until after Halloween, when our nice winter weather returns.

Love, Mikie
  6. klar

klar Member

Thanks for the responses. I guess we all have our issues--I am beginning to believe that every sweat gland in my body is located from the neck up. Everyone looks at me like I have 3 heads when I say I have grown to HATE summer. Oh well...what doesn't kill us makes us stronger (or so THEY say). We all must be super strong, eh?
  7. Sansofpa

Sansofpa New Member

Hi Klar,

I'm new to FMS, but for a week now, the humidity is horrible, and
    every day I feel worse. The AC is way too cold all day at work, so
    I go outside to sun for a few minutes, but it's not helping. At
    home I turn the AC on for about 5 minutes and then I get freezing.
    I don't know which way to turn and hopefully I'll figure myself out,
    real soon.

I always loved summer, even 100 degrees, mostly because I
    don't like winter weather. I'm not sure with FMS if I'm going to
    like any season.

Thanks for the reassurance, everyone :)

~Sans
  8. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Mickie, I am quite sure if I lived in the south I would be sweaty and crabby all year round. lol
  9. klar

klar Member

Hi,

So sorry that you have gotten this awful FM. I always try to tell myself, "it could be worse..." but some days that just doesn't cut it. At least this board provides kind of misery loves company type empathy. It's difficult for people who don't have this to understand the bizarre nature of FM--heck, after 11 years, I still don't understand all of the aspects and never will.

Just always maintain a sense of humor and try to cope!!
  10. klar

klar Member

Hey,

When you find that donor Michele suggested, please let me know and I will pack my bags for Alaska!
  11. klar

klar Member

Thanks for the tips, Mikie. I will head to Bed Bath & Beyond. I have worn out some of the ice packs I have used for a while, so I will stock up!

I don't envy you 90 degree temperatures at all. My favorite temp. in mid to high 60's. Fall and Spring are my favorite seasons here in New England. I can even take winter---just take away the summer heat!!!

Stay cool!
  12. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

Whether it's cold and humid or hot and humid, relative humidity is my personal nemesis as well! It makes me ache to the bone, and for that reason I am trying ever so hard to pull off this move to a more arid climate in the west. It still gets cold, although not sub-zero, but very rarely cold and humid or extremely hot and humid in Colorado. The hardest part will be getting there and completing the move...
    Angela
  13. Allen

Allen Member

Its very common for us Fibro folks to feel worse as weather changes.
    Allen