Heat and Lupus

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by keycals, Jul 3, 2009.

1. keycals

keycals New Member

I was wondering if anyone with lupus finds very hot summer weather like in Texas and Arizona affects your lupus? I have little problems with my lupus except the hot weather seems to definitely affect my breathing and fatigue. friends say it's all in my head, but it's not. I'm not talking about photosensitivity but just heat. Any response will be appreciated.
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

There is a wonderful Lupus board here and it has some really good people there. How about posting there and you'll be getting replies from people that all have lupus. Good luck and you'll get very informed answers there.
  3. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Have you had a complete thyroid panel workup? There's a higher incidence of thyroid disorder in lupus than in the general population, but typically only a TSH screen is done. Relevant tests would be free T3, free T4, and thyroid antibodies (3 diff aBs).

Endocrine abnormalities, esp. thyroid & adrenal, can really mess with heat tolerance.

Correcting even a small endocrine abnormality will not cure lupus, but it CAN in many cases improve fatigue, heat tolerance, and even pain levels -- thus making life much more pleasant.

Best wishes.