Heat Intolerance

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ceen, Jun 19, 2012.

1. ceen

ceen New Member

Does anyone have heat intolerance, sweating, weakness, anxiety, short of breath, and nausea with fibro?
  2. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I hate the summer, it's always the roughest for me. Heat just increases my weakness and I always end up in a bad stretch of depression during the summer due to several factors.

I also can't tolerate much A/C, can only have it on for a little bit. My dh loves to freeze us out and it makes me crazy!!

I am much more prone to feeling faint and exhausted in the heat...not a good thing.
  3. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

I growl when the temperature goes over 60. We are planning on buying a house in Altanta, and I already know I'm going to have to have the ceiling fans. an a/c and a dehumidifier going non-stop. My daughter was walking around with a furry hat and mittens when it was 55. I was in jeans and a t-shirt. I know that after 5 years, I have acclimated to a climate where 30 degrees is not cold. So I spent a week in the car with the heat on, and thought I was going to die. Right now it is 67 degrees, humidity 91 and I feel like I am going to drop down dead. I can dress up when it's -30, but where do you go from naked? And we don't have the cover of night to cool things off. We now have 22 hours of daylight. I love my Alaska, but I'm HOT!

Soft hugs
  4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi ceen, yes, the summertime is the most challenging season for me, and I live in Texas, where our summers are prolonged and the temps well over 100 degrees. My energy levels go down noticeably, and if it's too hot, I will get nauseated.

Stores often aren't ventilated and cold enough here when it's that hot, and we're often at risk of power outages, so we're also told to conserve electricity. It's not fun.

Here's a website that gives tips for beating the heat:

Hope it helps. I would also add putting sun protecting shades on your car, parking in shady places whenever possibly and running errands early in the day when you can. As the website states, staying hydrated with water is critical as well as staying indoors during the hottest time of the day.

Feel good,

5. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

I will be traveling to las Vegas next week to visit my in-laws. It is well over 100 there. We stay indoors most of the time and it doesn't help at all. The air still feels suffocating even when the air conditioning is on. The air is so dry that my eyes burn like crazy! I just hate it!
  6. Nikki

Nikki Member

I've lived my entire life in Louisiana. The heat is crazy hot. So you leave the house with the lightest clothes you have, then go to a resturant to freeze your b*** off (but that's way better than dripping sweat while you eat). The heat is so oppressive. If I were sweet enough (hehe) I'd melt.

When Hurricane Gustav (sp) came thru Baton Rouge (a few yrs back), we lost trees (that provided much needed shade), none on our house, thank heavens; but, worst of all, we lost electricty for over a week. We did have a small generator that let us run a fan at night . . . my husband and I just sat in a chair for that week, trying not to even yawn . . . couldn't afford to "waste" our energy. I pray, we don't have any hurricanes this yr. Wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Went to Las Vegas some yrs. back , in the summer, that's so much worse to me. Walking out of the hotel felt like walking into an fire pit. The constant wind (can't call it a breeze) just fanned the flames for me.
    And, so dry, I must have used a whole bottle of lotion a day.

Ceen, summers are way worse for me, too. I think it's just one more thing fibromites can't take.

Soft hugs,
    Sharon (Nikki)

[This Message was Edited on 06/25/2012]
  7. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Me and the Heat do not get along either.

I had a heat stroke 14 years ago --before I knew I had Fibro but a friend thought back then I did have it.

I drink lots of water and sometimes I also drink deluited (sp?) Gatoraid or PowerAid too--that helps me when I feel weak & shaky.

I also have those flexiable blue ice packs in the freezer at all times--home, both jobs and at my friend's houses--they really help to cool me off.

I also have issues with dry & burning eyes. The best thing I have found is Thera Tears lubrican eye drops. They are preservative free drops and I have tried alot of different kinds of drops over the best year.

I drink very little caffiene if any and rarely do I drink soda--sometimes it sounds good, I drink a few swallows and then I'm done with it.

Water with a slice of lemon, orange or lime is the best thing for me.

Depending where I'm going I try to wear a tank top and a light weight blouse over it with capris or pants. If I am really hot I take off the blouse, get it wet and lightly wring it out and put it back on and let it air dry on me.

Some people wear hats---I'm not much of a hat person.

I always try to remember to wear my sunglasses. I don't have prescription sun glasses--yet, but I use a clip on sunglasses and they do help alot.

I hope some of my ideas help you.

***Edited for this***Now would be a good time to find out if any of your meds make you extra senstive to the sun or heat. And sunscreen can be a good or a bad thing. Some people are allergic to things used in them.