Heat or Ice (Cold) for Muscles

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kurt, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Kurt

Kurt New Member

I was wondering what is better for people with FM. Is it better to put heat on your muscles or an ice pack? What has worked best for everyone? Thanks in advance!

Kurt
  2. Kurt

Kurt New Member

I was wondering what is better for people with FM. Is it better to put heat on your muscles or an ice pack? What has worked best for everyone? Thanks in advance!

Kurt
  3. Renee T

Renee T New Member

I try both, and most times heat feels better, if it's muscle pain, however, for my back pain, which is "bone" oriented, Ice feels much better.

My Physical Therapist has said that whether a person uses heat or ice, it should be applied 20 minutes on and then 20 minutes off. Or rotate the heat and ice.

Hope this helps

Renee T
  4. mistyb

mistyb New Member

I use both. Mostly heat though. I find I use ice when it is nerve related. Heat seems to aggravate things for me when the nerve is pinched off. Good luck
    Misty
  5. granmama

granmama New Member

Hi Kurt,
    I personally have better results with a moist/heat pad. It helps my muscle pain and seems to calm down nerve pain in my back or hip.

Years ago, when I first started having lower back pain with pain down my leg, I went to a chiro.
    He suggested after my treatment, I use the ice/heat-on/off method. I found this method irritating.

I do know when I am cold, it makes my FM symptoms worse, so I definetely would not use ice now.

be well,
    granmama
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I use heat, heating pad, wireless mattress heating pad, rice socks heated in the microwave, I also have a padded chair pad that fits on the back of my computer chair that also has heat and vibrates too, its great for back pain.

I tried ice, does not work, I get a chill from the coldness and the pain is worst.

I also use hot bathtub soaks, with epson salts and peroxide, for twenty minutes, talk about great, it will give you one great nights sleep if noting else!

I use ice rice socks for headaches, not Fibro pain.

Hope this is of some help for you.

Shalom, Shirl

7. dlizard

dlizard New Member

rotate the ice and heat.... start with ice then moist heat and I too use the famous rice sock! Good stretches help too!