Heat Wave

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gapsych, Jun 22, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

There are many parts in the US right now experiencing a heat wave.

Where I live the heat index was over 100 degrees and tomorrow 110 degrees.

As many cities have, we have a shelter which provides air conditioning.

I was out doing some errands, did not think I was overdoing it and became very ill from the heat which of course has made me go into a flare. I was not out that long. I am reporting this not to get sympathy but to let you all know how quickly this heat can get to you.

As for me, I am not even going to go out tomorrow unless necessary.

Stay hydrated.

Check on your family and neighbors.

I am sure you all know the drill, but it never hurts to be reminded.

Take care everyone.

[This Message was Edited on 06/22/2009]
  2. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I hope you are feeling much better today. I live in TX, so I'm no stranger to the scorching heat, but gosh, it can sneak up on you. We have to drink a lot more water then we think we do, even when indoors. Reminds me to go get some now in fact.

Lydia, great reminder to take care of our furry friends too! Our neighbor has a cat that loves to come visit me. He's sooo cute. I put out a plastic dish of water for him to drink when he's at my house.

Stay cool everyone. Don't over do it!

Warm hugs,

3. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Yes, it is like that here in St. Louis too, and all over the radio and news about the shelters. I too hope whomever is without air conditioning will accept the help that is out there. My FIL, daughter and her boyfriend actually me for lunch today and my daughter and her boyfriend drove separately with no air conditioning and she was not feeling good at all, so i told her to ride back with my FIL and she is only 19 so yes, it effects everyone.

I also hope pet owners are not leaving their pets outside in this heat and that they have the sense to make sure they come in.
  4. mysticbrit

mysticbrit New Member

This heat is devastating for everyone and I feel so sorry for those without air conditioning including our wildlife. Living in the midwest we're forced to endure the worst of all extremes. You'd think I'd get used to it but it hasn't happened in 62 years so I'm doubting I ever will.

We've discovered a good idea for providing water for our pets, and the strays that count on us, is to put half water and half ice cubes in the bowl. That way the supply lasts longer as the ice melts and, of course, it keeps the water much cooler. For the strays I always put out a whole bowl of ice then whenever they show up they have a refreshing drink.

Prayers going out for all who have to survive in this horrible heat/humidity.

5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Normally here in Tx August is the worst month. What will it be then ?? I can only say thank God for air conditioning. I hope some of you do have it. I know I couldn't stand it . I used to but no more, even though the cold bothers me and alot of us with FM more.

Yes, I do not have any furry friends but they surely need to be taken care of in this oppressive heat. Lots of water for them and hopefully places where they can lie in the shade.

Gee JULIE that messy cool mud puddle sounds inviting but I'll stick to a cool shower instead. I could never stand it COLD. Most of us here go out early to do whatever they need to do and then get back in the house. However, those who have to work outside in it also need out thoughts and prayers. You are right MYSTIC. YOU ARE DOING WONDERFUL THINGS PROVIDING WATER AND ICE FOR YOUR FURRY FRIENDS AND STRAYS.

TRY and stay Stay Cool Everydobby !!

God bless,

6. jole

jole Member

Living on a farm, my hubby is out in the heat all day. He drinks lots of water, and does okay for the most part, but on the hot, humid days over 100 with no breeze, he complains of feeling ill at night. I know it's the heat.

He tries to keep a damp cloth with him to wash down his face/neck with, which helps. I worry about heat stroke with him. No, we do not have the new, all airconditioned equipment some farmers have. It's not an easy life, especially since he's nearly 70, but he won't quit yet.

Myself, I feel much better in the warmer weather (80-90) with my fibro. Until it hits 80 out I hurt sooo bad..after 80 it lets up quite a bit.

Our doggy lays in the shade on the porch in the hot weather....and I try to keep the cement cool by spraying it down several times during the day for her. She's not an indoor dog...has to "protect" us from the outside beasties..lol...

7. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Just wondering if hubby has tried a mister. Just a spray tank of water with a hand pump and a very fine mist comes out and cools. Probably a hardware store would have one. They nice for camping in hot weather. Cheers, mr Bill
  8. jole

jole Member

Thanks for the suggestion! No, never thought of it, actually. Will have to try to find one though. Jole