Heating pads? anything really good out there?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by butterfly83, Jul 2, 2006.

1. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Another of my heating pads bit the dust (i think i'm making my family crazy with my multiple heating pads. they usually last 6 months or so with all the use they get). So i'm looking into buying a new one. Is there any kind that you guys like that works really well?

This particular one that died was a massaging one, so i was thinking of getting another of those.
  2. namow

namow New Member

I love the one I got! I got it from a doctor in FL, I paid $100, to find out latter that I could get it online a lot cheaper.

It provides the heat and also moist without putting any water in it. Also the switch is convinient if you are the kind that leave it on and might wake up "roasted". You have to hold the switch and when it reaches the temperature you like you let go, I am enjoying mine quite a bit.

It is call THERMOPHORE. Just put that in the search engine and you will find it.

Good luck!
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Namow has the answer! I was posting just to remind you that it's important not to use dry heat alone which can actually make us worse!

Marta
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

butterfly:

I use a large Sunbeam one. What I like is that at 'HIGH': it really emits a good amount of heat.

nyrofan
  5. luhu

luhu New Member

I use mine like clock work in the morning before work in the afternoon after work and on the weekends.

My hubby gets upset with me saying that I use it to much he does not seem to understand that it hlps with my pain

The only complaint that I have about mine is that latley I have notice that it is leaving my back dis-colored almost like brusing.

I turn in on high untill it is hot and then turn it down to med to low heat and it turns it self off after 1 hour so it is not like I have it on me for hours and hours.

Any suggestions on this?

Thanks Luhu
  6. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Thanks guys! I had been looking at that Themophore one but i wasn't sure if it would be worth it. Since you guys say so, I guess i'll give it a try! Heating pads are the one thing i can't live without, so i might as well buy a nice one, right? :)
  7. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I love to curl up with my electric blanket when I get out of the shower.In a quite room with soft music and a magazine .
    I'll catch ya all tomorrow I'm going to do that! LOL Night
  8. SandraJean

SandraJean New Member

Hi,

I have the Thermaphore heating pad too and is really does help alot. I was worried about the high cost of it at first too, but found with using it regularly it was helped some of the worse pain and stiffness I've had, when nothing else would work. I highy suggest going ahead and getting one.

Sandy
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

My heating pad is my best friend, too!!!

I may have been one of the people talking about insurance paying for a heating pad!

Medicare paid for mine. I got a prescription from my doc for one. The doc has to write on the prescription "for arthritis pain relief" - that's what mine wrote--if you don't have arthritis, maybe he could write fibro!

I have all types of heating pads. Most are the regular types, but I do have a nice massaging heating pad that I like awfully well.

I started to get me one of the Thermophore ones, but you had to keep holding the "on" button on for heat--it's a safety feature so you don't get burned by it or you don't leave it on all night!

Speaking of which ..... I thought I had turned my off last night, but instead of turning the dial all the way over to one side to turn it off, I turned it all the way over the the opposite side to High and ended up leaving it on high all night long and did not discover it until 3:00 this afternoon!!!

I think Medicare will only pay for one every 2 years. My secondary insurer, Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield, paid their portion after Medicare paid theirs.

P.S. The Thermophore heating pads here are much cheaper than $100!!! Check prices before buying!! Competition is always the best way to make any purchase!! (I used to work in a Purchasing Department--we got 3 bids on almost everything!!!)
  10. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

and it an extra long one with the automatic shut off after an hour. I don't like the sponge sheet that came with it for the moist heat, so I just use a wet dish towel--the moist heat lasts longer.

I now have the same kind at work too--much better than to drag one back & forth.

If your insurance doesn't cover the cost and you are participating in a Medical Savings plan--you may be able to submit your receipt to that.

11. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

can you lie on top of a thermophore? Does it make your bedding damp? Do you have to hold the control down the whole time you are using it?

Raz
  12. netski101

netski101 New Member

My back is the same way....and what the doc told me, is that it is killing the skin tissue, literally burning your back. They told me that my skin will stay this way because it is damaged now, even if i stopped using heating pad! I don't use moist heat, which I was told to, but I don't want my shirt to be wet, so easier to just turn it on. What i find is i use on a lower setting, the lowest that still feels like it is working, and also get one that shuts off automatically. I sleep with mine, so auto shut off is great.
    Mine is a Dunlap large one, and auto shutoff.....i find it's the best one out there. For just under $20 at Walmart....can't beat it, and it lasts longer than others also......so try turning it down, and the docs said 20 minutes on at a time.....i don't but will pass that imfo, and moisten it if possible.
    goodluck
  13. netski101

netski101 New Member

I buy mine at Walmart, and it's a Dunlap, large one with auto shutoff...it is great if you use while your sleeping, that way you won't burn yourself...or forget to shut off and go somewhere. It's just under $20, and it lasts longer than any other that i have ever used....i used to have to keep buying new ones.....but these ones last longer.....
    goodluck.
  14. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

15. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

Mine is also a dunlap that I got at Walmart....it gets HOT too.