Heating Pads - for people on Medicare!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Jul 1, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

I am on SSDI; therefore, Medicare is my primary insurance (and I also have a secondary insurance).

I know all of us talk about using heating pads.

Well, did you know that if you are on Medicare, that they will pay for a heating pad - once every 2 years, I think. I'm not sure how often you can get one paid for.

All you have to do is get your doc to write a script for one, making sure he writes "FOR ARTHRITIS PAIN RELIEF" on the script.

I saw this heating pad advertised in a copy of the Arthritis Today magazine that I get, and it said in it that it was covered by Medicare if the above statement was on the script.

I got the script from my doc's office and went to my Home Health Care store where I get my oxygen and CPAP equipment from, and did not get the same heating pad that was advertised by got another one which was about $35.00.

It was just a "professional" heating pad vs. the type you get at WalMart. What ever that means!!!

Just wanted to pass this info along in case anyone on Medicare needs a new heating pad!!!

Check it out!!!

jlh
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Jih:
    I use a Sunbeam heating pad that I would not do without.
    I also have a CPAP which needed a doctor to write 'medically needed' or I would never have gotten it through Medicare which pays 100% for 'Durable Medical Goods'.
    (At least it does with my plan)
    NyroFan
  3. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Heating Pads...
    Hi. I have been using a thermophore heating pad for the past 10 years or so. I have gone through many of them. Sometimes they have burned out after a month or two, sometimes they last a year or more. The relief I get with the thermophore surpasses almost all other methods of relief. I use it to help fall asleep every night. I live in NY and the thermophore cost about $65.00 here. The first time I saw that price, I had sticker shock. The first one, was a gift from my mom, after that I have been on my own. Now, I feel it is still a lot of money, but it is something that helps me feel better, so I would NOT be without it. I take an extension cord when I go on vacation, so I can plug it in to reach the bed.
    If you haven't tried a Thermophore, I strongly recommend it.
    My dilemma... I have aches in my mid & lower back, my knees, my head, my shoulder and I only have one thermophore. Should I rotate it, or should I buy another one? The only way the thermophore will work as someone else mentioned is by holding your finger down on the button to release the heat. This would make it difficult to use more than one at a time.
    I hope you all feel better, and if you haven't gotten one, go get a thermophore. I bet you'll be happy you did.
    Hugs,
    UPK 5
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

I said in my post that the script should read "for Arthritis Pain Relief" and I should have said "for Arthritis Pain Management." I tell you, between old age and this fibro fog, I'm lucky to write even one sentence correctly!!! LOL

The ad in Arthritis Today magazine was for the Thermaphore heating pad.

Well, when I went to the medical supply store and looked at it and the salesman told me how you have to sit there and hold the button down for the heat - I said FORGET IT!!

My hands and fingers hurt so badly with arthritis, that I just didn't think that I could do that!!

That's why I just chose a regular heating pad. This "professional" heating pad is just larger, and supposed to be better, than the type you buy at WalMart -- according to the salesman!!

Yes, I do have arthritis, too. I have it all over my body!! It's in my hands and wrists, shoulders, back/spine, hips, knees, and ankles and feet.

I also have systemic lupus and fibro .... as well as osteoporosis, diabetes, many heart problems, severe back problems, obstructive sleep apnea, and lots more!!

I got my heating pad at the same medical supply store that supplies my CPAP machine and oxygen concentrator.

It was billed to Medicare first, then to my secondary insurer (Anthem Blue Cross & Blue Shield). The balance left for me to pay was about $4 -- not sure what it was really, but the store did not bill me for it.

If you don't have Medicare, you might want to check with your insurance company to see if they cover one under their durable medical equipment. Then, all it would cost you is your co-pay. I know my secondary insurance paid their portion on it.

You might get a new one for just a few dollars!!

My heating pad is my best friend!! I use it for hours every day--even if it's 95 degrees outside (because we keep our A/C set on 68 degrees and it always feels like winter in our house!!).

jlh
    [This Message was Edited on 07/01/2005]
  5. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

as I ach almost over my whole body, and my heating pad is dying, and I only have so many grain bags to heat up in the microwave. This way my whole bed will be toasty warm, in all the right places!!
  6. lea

lea Member

Thanks for posting.

I've tried to find someone in my area that carries such things but cannot. Can you please post the name and city your home healthcare store, so I can contact them to see if they will ship to me.

I'm very sick and require a caregiver. Therefore, any help would be much appreciated.

thank you

[This Message was Edited on 08/25/2005]
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

Lea,

First of all, you need a prescription from your doctor for a Heating Pad, and it must also contain the reason, which is "Arthritis Pain Management."

This is just a regular ole' heating pad. Any drugstore, Wal-Mart, or health care store close to where you live surely must carry heating pads.

Mine only cost $35.00, so it's not a fortune anyway.

I only suggest that you try locally first, because the shipping & handling charges, which will NOT be covered by Medicare, will cost you half as much as the heating pad!!!

I hate to hear that you are so sick and need a caregiver. Maybe your caregiver could call around locally to see if anyone has one.

If you cannot find one locally, I will list the name of the place where I got mine. But remember, you would need to mail them your prescription before they would send you the heating pad.

Take care,
    (((Hugs)))
    Janet

8. lea

lea Member

Yes, I would still appreciate the name and number of your heating pad company.

We tried many times/places locally but have not been successful.

thank you
    best,
    lea
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

I got mine at:

Hallmark Health Care, Inc.
    P. O. Box 410
    Portsmouth, OH 45662

ask for Mark
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

or, I saw some of the "Thermacore" Heating Pads at my chiropractor's office. If you happen to subscribe to Arthritis Today, the Thermacore Heating Pad is always advertised in it. I think it is a moist heat; however, if I remember correctly, you had to keep holding down a button to keep it on--this was a safety feature so you would not fall asleep with it on. I didn't like this, that is why I just got a regular one at the Hallmark Medical place.

His name and address is:

Dr. Jeffrey R. Barker
    8326 Ohio River Road, Suite A
    Wheelersburg, OH 45694

I don't have the phone numbers handy now, but I can get them for you tommorow -- my phone books are in another room where my husband is asleep (and it is 1:40 A.M.!! now)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope this helps!

I'm sure either place would mail you one, but would probably charge you shipping.

Remember though, in order for Medicare to pay 80%, you MUST have a prescription written from your doctor and have the diagnosis written on it of "for arthritis pain relief."

Let me know if you are able to get one through either of these places!

Janet
  10. lea

lea Member

Hi JIH:

Thanks for your nice post.

If you can please list the telephone number, I would much appreciate it.

BTW, do I need the doctor's name you listed for anything?

thank you so much

best,
    lea
  11. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

I don't know if it differs from state to state but I called Medicare and asked if they pay 80% for a heating pad with a doctors prescription for arthritis pain management and the customer service rep said no.
    Should I try again?
  12. acesk

acesk New Member

I read your posts and order a Thermaphore moist heating pad and just got it today. It is the best! Helped my pain already.(FM) Just ordered my Mom one. It's very big - the reason they make you hold it down for a minute and then let go is that it gets VERY hot and then stays hot for about 5 minutes and then you pulse it - press on for a minute and leave off for 3-5 minutes for 20-30 minutes in total.

Sue in Florida
  13. lea

lea Member

HI Mable:
    Hope you have had a chance to look up where you got your heating pad?
    thank you
    best,
    lea
  14. JLH

JLH New Member

lea: I have copied my last post that had the names of the places where you can get them, and have added the phone numbers.

I got mine at:

Hallmark Health Care, Inc.
    P. O. Box 410
    Portsmouth, OH 45662

Phone: 1-740-353-0202 or 1-740-353-1141

ask for Mark
    (I don't know if they are open on Saturdays or not)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

or, I saw some of the "Thermacore" Heating Pads at my chiropractor's office. He sells them.

Note: If you happen to subscribe to Arthritis Today, the Thermacore Heating Pad is always advertised in it. I think it is a moist heat; however, if I remember correctly, you had to keep holding down a button to keep it on--this was a safety feature so you would not fall asleep with it on. I didn't like this, that is why I just got a regular one at the Hallmark Medical place.

The name of my chiropractor is: Dr. Jeffrey R. Barker.

Barker Chiropractor Clinic
    8326 Ohio River Road, Suite A
    Wheelersburg, OH 45694

Phone: 1-740-574-4335

Note: He is NOT open on Saturdays. And, he closes at noon on Wednesdays, I think.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope this helps!

I'm sure either place would mail you one, but would probably charge you shipping.

Remember though, in order for Medicare to pay 80%, you MUST have a prescription written from your doctor and have the diagnosis written on it of "for arthritis pain relief."

Let me know if you are able to get one through either of these places!

Janet

P.S. Sorry it has taken me soooooooooooo long to get these phone numbers to you! I apologize.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/04/2005]
  15. JLH

JLH New Member

Bump for lea ......

Did you get your phone numbers off my last reply?

Janet
  16. lea

lea Member

Hi Jlh:

Thank you so much for all of the info. and phone numbers.

I don't know when I would have remembered to check if you did not bump this message.

We called and found out that he does not ship out of state anymore!

THank you so much for everything.

take care
    best,
    lea
    [This Message was Edited on 11/08/2005]
  17. lea

lea Member

Hoping you had a chance to find the contact info.
    thank you
    best,
    lea