Heavy metal chelation progress, so far its working

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AllWXRider, Jan 12, 2007.

1. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Hair analysis verified low levels of mercury, but toxic levels of Cadmium, Lead, Antimony & Arsenic.

I had already used two bottle of DMSA 100mg X 45 capsules, on suspicion of mercury. It worked real well on the mercury. Dr. Cinque of 1to1vitamins now recommends that I take EDTA and ALA as they work better on the other metals.

When I chelate, I feel worse: tired, kidneys hurt, headache, depression. After 3 days, I'm resting and taking my mineral supplements again and WOW, I do feel better: Less brain fog, less anxiety, better outlook so the depression is less.

I was reading the literature from BodyBalance that came with the hair analysis: it emphasized that toxic metals can interfere with our body's enzymatic reactions and mess up thousands of reactions. Enzymes are amino acids with a metal attached. If a toxic metal attaches itself, extreme changes can take place. Some metals work as antagonists:

Zinc and Cadmium
    Lead and Calcium

The bones breath calcium and, in my case, lead, so it will take several cycles to chelate it all out...but I feel better with the first cycle!!!!
  2. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

Be careful with EDTA. I've used it and would never again. Watch your copper levels. EDTA will chelate copper as well and most men are usually low on copper to begin with...

Get a copy of Nutritional Balancing and Hair Mineral Analysis by Dr Lawrence Wilson. It's very enlightening regarding hair analysis and what the results really mean.
  3. deliarose

deliarose New Member

i'm interested in why you're leery of EDTA? IS it because it exacerbated your low copper levels?

What were the symptoms?

Delia
  4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I'm using Bluebonnet SuperEarth multivitamin & minerals. It doesn't have much selenium, so I add 100mcg.

Copper Ok per hair analysis but will add some on.

I'm presently using DMSA 50mg + EDTA 100mg + ALA 300mg 12 hour time-released.

I used EDTA in the past as a Cardio-EDTA and had no problems. From the comments that I've read so far on the Yahoo Adult Metal-Chelation site, that you can detox too fast. Just reduce the dosage or give your body a break for a couple of days.
  5. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

Hi deliarose,

I don't like EDTA for two reasons. One is , yes , I beleive it made my copper levels worse. Two, I became very sick shortly after taking it for several weeks and had to finally go on disability. It was my worst phase of the illness. It's hard to say if it was the cause, but I believe it only contributed to the problems I was having.

After doing hair mineral analysis for the last 2 and half years and studying my own as well as those of other people. Learning from people more experienced than myself, I've come to believe that chemical chelation is not only unecessary but can be dangerous. I would only advise it if you were accidentally exposed to large amounts of toxic metals, for instance if you worked in a lead mine etc... However, Chelating with small amounts of natural substances like vitamin C and N-acetyl cystein are more safe and healthy for your body. One other very important thing to know is that no matter how much ETDA or chelation agent you take you will never be able to get rid of toxic metals that are deeply suquestered within your tissues and cells. The only way you can get at those deeply buried toxic metals is to balance you body with the nutritional minerals, Ca, Mg, Cu, Na, K, Fe, etc...The key thing to understand about toxic minerals in the body is that the body incorporates them into the tissues because of a deficiency in one or more nutritional minerals. For instance, if you are low on Zinc your body will substitute Cadmium in it's place because Cadmium has similar properties to Zinc. Once you start to balance your Zinc levels the body will start to release Cadmium which can then be eliminated. The only rational way to get rid of toxic metals therefore is to embark on a program of nutritional mineral balancing. In this way you can release the toxic metals and the body can it's natural work of eliminating them. This takes time, 6 months to 2 years to really do the work.

For myself I'm still working on it. Only recently did my iron and manganese levels balance out and as a result my toxic aluminum levels shot up indicating they are now getting released. (Iron and Manganase levels are related to toxic Aluminum). This brings up another point. When you look at your mineral chart, just because you show no toxic minerals in your hair doesn't mean they are not in your tissues. It just means they are not in your hair. Once the body starts to release them, then they will show up in the hair for a while and then go back down again.

Anyway, hope this wasn't too long...good luck.

6. deliarose

deliarose New Member

thanks for posting. It all helps.
    Regards
    Delia
  7. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Thanks so much for sharing this info. It makes a lot sense to me.

Dr. Cheney's DVD mentioned slow detox, too, with selenium, chorella, and hawthorn leaf and flower. He has heard about some nasty results with too high detoxifaction with high amounts of NAC, and doesn't believe in using it.

I often think a natural approach is best, and your plan seem good to me.

CherylSue
  8. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

ALA is a natural product that Dr. Cutler recommends for INTRAcelluar toxic metals. Most chelators don't go inside the cells.

He recommends that you wait until all your side effects are down with the regular chelation first.

He says that ALA crosses the Blood-Brain-Barrier (BBB) to remove mercury. Since ALA does chelate and IS a natural product: Metal toxicity symptoms may actually get worse. So take it easy with it. 12.5mg/3 hours is a good starting dose.

9. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

Very interesting post! So if I now start to get my daily allowance and more of essential minerals will my body start to release toxic metals because I am now increasing my levels of essential minerals?

Thanks, Sean
    [This Message was Edited on 01/25/2007]
  10. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Good question. Can't wait for the answer. So, if I take Selenium then I should be able to get rid of some mercury? Also, thanks Allwxrider and Spiritsky. Marie
    [This Message was Edited on 01/25/2007]
  11. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

Lets say that I am deficient with some minerals and have too high of levels of some toxic subtance in it's place ( wondering about either flouride or is it florine? from taking floroquinolones antibiotic Levaquin )

And you say one should take a balanced mix of many needed minerals like calcium, zinc, magnesium, etc. to restore the balance and get these substances removed.

In my case however, I have many problems with my digestive tract. I am not sure if it's low digestive acids, but I was just diagnosed with an extremely low B-12 level ( high 100s when normal is 200 to 1100.)

I rtried taking calcium ttablets but right away the pain I felt in my digestive tract was torturous. Could I have a problem digesting these minerals? Can they hurt me if I try to take them? Why would calcium hurt my intestinal tract so powerfully? Any form I could take these and not have this problem. Isn't their one brand of mineral supplements that I could take that has everything?

Sure would appreciate your getting back on this. Thanks, JB.
  12. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Dr. Cutler says to always take your minerals during chelation and off chelation. Some bad side effects of chelation are due to good minerals being chelated out too.

Chelating too fast causes most of the bad side effects, so taking other supplements that also chelate may worsen the symptoms. Chelate out the Extra-celluar (outside the cell)system first with DMSA and then use the ALA and others that go Intra-celluar (inside the cell) along with the DMSA.

Dr. Culter mentions also that Selenium is an antagonist to mercury but selenium locks up the mercury without really displacing it so the mercury becomes inert for awhile and then gets released.

I don't know about taking mega-amounts of minerals for "chelation" purposes. I have read that excessive anything causes problems. I think that Joeb is just another example of that.

Dr. Andrew Cutler is a Ph.D. chemist who specializes in chelation, he has several books on his website: NoAmalgam and use to teach Pharmo-kinetics to pre-medical students. I would think that if it were just that easy to take excesses of any antagonist, that he would recommend it.

Everyone that I read about on the Yahoo forum: Adult Metal Chelation thinks that his methods work...and so far it is for me too.
  13. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

Sorry for not getting back earlier, I thought this post had died a while ago...You mentioned getting more nutritional minerals to get rid of the toxics. Yes that's the idea, however, you have to know which minerals you need. Taking a multimineral/vitamins is not something I do anymore. I've realized over time that these mineral combinations are really not in balance necessarily with what each person needs and if you're out of balance it can just perpetuate your symptoms. Really the only way I think that works is to get a hair mineral analysis done. Then you can more clearly see what's out of balance. As an example, for a long time I was taking a Cal/Mag supplement along with a mutilvit/mineral which also had some Cal/Mag in it. I didn't realize that I was really suffereing from an imabalance of too much Cal compared with Mag and was contantly making my problems worse. What I needed was just extra Magnesium but no Calcium... I wouldn't have known this without the hair analysis. All that Calcium was causing my muscles to twitch all the time and it was hard to get to sleep at night - just an example of what hair analysis can do. Also, I've realized that my copper deficiency is partly caused by the Manganese and Molybdenum in the multivit/mineral. Now I just take copper, magnesium and take my vitamins separately but no more multivit or multimineral.
  14. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I hear what you're saying, but I wouldn't start taking any multivitamin or minerals without first knowing what you're deficient in or toxic in. Keep in mind you can be toxic with nutritional minerals as well. Many people are copper toxic (especially women), iron toxic, manganese toxic etc...just because it's a nutritional mineral doesn't mean you can't have too much of it. I see a lot of people popping Calcium, Calcium, Calcium and I cringe whenever I read about that on the board. Too much calcium can really mess you up metabolically and otherwise as excess calcium starts getting stored in your tissues and deposited in arteries etc...I was one of those people taking lots of calcium thinking it was good for me and not realizing that it was causing me all kinds of problems with fatigue and muscle twitching which then made it hard to sleep and then of course more fatigue. Somewhere along the way I heard that we needed more calcium, I mean how could it do anything but help, was my thinking.

Get yourself checked by doing a hair mineral analysis. Ít costs a little money but you'll save in the long run by not buying all kinds of supplements that you don't need and buying the ones you do and which can really benefit you.

It's all about balance...coming back into balance and the body can start working properly again.

15. spiritsky

spiritsky Member