Heavy Metal Toxicity

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lolalee, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

How does one go about being tested for heavy metal toxicity? I haven't been tested and wondered if this might be contributing to my problems.

Thanks all.

Lolalee
  2. IndianPrincess

IndianPrincess New Member

I grew up in the Ohio Valley with exhausts from Steel Mills.
    Worked in commercial printing where I was exposed to films (silver) and lead from the days when cold type was still being used.

Cindy
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I was tested at my doctors office. It was a challenge test with DMPS one of the chelating drugs. I had an IV dose of the drug followed by a urine collection. We were specifically looking for mercury and my levels were high.

I am in Canada but I would guess thatsome doctors will do this and some not. You have to ask. I would think, also that Naturopaths might do the test.

Kathy
  4. ReillyRaccoon

ReillyRaccoon New Member

I know that heavy metal toxicity can definitely contribute to CFIDS and detoxification is one of the treatments. The problem is finding a good doctor who will test you and get accurate results.
    EDTA is very often used to chelate the toxins so you can pee it out.
    You can buy EDTA at health food stores... but I wouldn't use it without finding out first if you need to use it.
    Here is some info on it: http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=5629
    I've never tried the stuff so don't take my word for it but do some research on it.
    Good luck.
  5. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Well now, you may have found the answer to all your problems. It was all that head-banging music that caused a toxic reaction...LOL just joking you know.

I can see how a dentist might be sensitive to being questioned about your fillings. But hasn't there been research about mercury toxicity? I am so confused about all the theories regarding what made us so sick and what can make us feel better. All I know is I know nothing. I was even wondering the other day about how many of us have had our tonsils removed. Years ago doctors would remove your tonsils "at the drop of a hat" (where did that saying come from anyway?).

So, it wasn't you on General Hospital? Hmmmmmm, I could have sworn it was you.

Happy day, mrpain,

Lolalee
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2006]
  6. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

My sis had a hair analysis done to determine metal toxicity. Her dr. insisited that she get all her amalgams removed. Our regular dentist had a fit and called her dr a wholistic nutcase. Anyway, she went to a wholelistic dentist recommended by her new dr to remove her fillings. Since they were so old, ins paid for most of it.

It's very important to go to a dentist who is careful about amalgam removal. There are a lot of dentists who will do it for cosmetic reasons to make $$ and they expose both the patient and themselves to mercury during the process.

Sis also had the challenge test after the mercury fillings were removed and is now going through chelation therapy to rid of the toxins. Her mouth looks very pretty too.

I;m going to get mine removed some time in the next few months. I will be going to the wholeistic dentist from now on, I'm a little miffed at my old dentist who I've been seeing for about 22 years! I really don't like his attitude, plus it was him who put most of this metal in my mouth and thinks its OK. He probaly has big time mercury toxicity!!! I;ve read that lots of dentists do.

7. Gosia

Gosia New Member

You or your doctor can order the test from DOCTOR'S DATA,INC. It is a very easy and good test I've done it a few times. If you dicade to go with it, make sure you take DMSA ( DMSA is a mobilizer and chelater)and don't take any minerals on collection day.
    Gosia
  8. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Could be that "Quest Diagnostics" Lab does toxin testing.
    (????) I believe you can Google them (except maybe in
    the Peoples Republic of China). Think they are located
    almost everywhere in the known World.

Hope everyone is having
    a good Eve,
    MRDAD
  9. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond to my post. Sorry, but I don't feel well enough right now to personally answer each of you. You have given me a lot to think about. I'm still not sure which path I should take.

Thanks,

Lolalee