Heavy Mucus ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tcpolchies, Jun 20, 2006.

1. tcpolchies

tcpolchies New Member

Lately my nasal & throat muscus has increased significantly.It feels as though theres something blocking my esophagus and I'm breathing like a pikaneese at times, LOL!The muscles spasms in my throat area dont help any either.The last time I went to see my doc about this she mentioned I may have polyps in my nasal cavitys and suggested a nasal surgery to clear it up. Anyone else notice a change at times in mucus?

T~
  2. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Yes. Whenever I have a change like you are describing I have a sinus infection.

When it's thicker and "chunkier" that means that you have inflammation, and potentially an infection. If the mucus is dark in color and very thick, I'd get it checked out by a doctor- especially if it has changed consistency recently.

Sorry for your nasal issues! I hope it eases very soon. :)

3. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear T:

I agree, get it checked out. I have triad asthma...I am sensitive to asthma, have nasal polyps and am allergic to MOLD foods. I have had the nasal polyps removed..and believe me, you will benefit from the improved technology. The issue is that they often grow back very quickly. You need to see your doctor, and if you are not able to resolve the cycle of infection, mucus, etc, you should see an ear, nose and throat doctor (ENT).

I have what I call the YUCKS in the morning. My voice sounds as if I have smoked a carton of cigarettes (never smoked) and I can "cough up" a large bit of congestion. Sounds gross, but getting it out of my system is a daily process. If I do not do it, I tend to develop bronchitis, and then on to pneumonia. If I get an actual sinus infection, I usually have 6 months of infection/clearing/infection to look forward to. Gross as it may sound...the color and consistency of the mucus will determine what you need to do to treat it.

Good luck.

Ingrid
  4. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

one other thing to remeber is to stay well hydrated. it you keep very well hydrated it will thin the mucus and make it easier to bring up and you won't get that plugged up feeling. so drink lots of water.
    i hope this helps.
    rachel
  5. caroleye

caroleye New Member

A friend just went through it, and now can barely talk. I've had many when younger, and always had worse side affects.

This time of year the pollens are at their worse, and this can cause the increased mucus. Can you keep your windows closed, and an air filter on?

Also, cut out dairy, as it's reknown for increasing mucus.

And there are organic throat teas at the health food stores, as well as other remedies that the helpers there can recommend.

I depend on them more than my Dr.'s, as they "study" more about natural approaches before you go too deep into chemical remedies.

LIGHT*************carole
  6. tcpolchies

tcpolchies New Member

Im seriously considering it. The consistancy and color does change from a greyish dark -reddish color. But Im thinking thats just from constant blowing. What I have observed is that season doesnt change much with it. I mean it aggrivates it more worsens during fall - winter. It almost took my 6 moths to fight off the last infection and the doc were fed up with me.

Thank you all for sharing your info, I really appreciate it!

T~