Heightened senses and fibromyalgia...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mariac2000, Nov 29, 2002.

1. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I have read in many different places that people with fibro have heightened senses. I know I do. I can see farther than most people(except at night when I can't see at all), I smell things others don't and I hear things before others hear them. What about the sense of touch/feeling. Could we all be so sensitive to pain that we feel it much worse than others? Just a thought.

Maria
  2. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I have read in many different places that people with fibro have heightened senses. I know I do. I can see farther than most people(except at night when I can't see at all), I smell things others don't and I hear things before others hear them. What about the sense of touch/feeling. Could we all be so sensitive to pain that we feel it much worse than others? Just a thought.

Maria
  3. theimpossibleflute

theimpossibleflute New Member

Besides the sight/sound/smell, my sense of touch is also very unpredictable. Sometimes I have to have other people tell me if something is too hot to touch with a bare hand. Other times something cold will feel hot. You're not alone!! But that never helps, does it?

God Bless..Good luck.
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Studies have shown very high levels (3 times the average)of the powerful pain-transmitting, substance P, in the spinal fluid of people with Fibro.
    Karen
  5. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I am super-sensitive to EVERYTHING. For years, people thought I was just making this up or I was exaggerating, but I wasn't. I am sensitive to touch, sound, temperatures, smells, tastes, feelings....EVERYTHING. There are pros and cons to this. When something feels good, it feels really GOOD and when foods taste good, they are just wonderful!!!
    Love,
    Kady
  6. dlizard

dlizard New Member

my parents have always called me "over sensitive". I see very well ( yeah except at night and that changed this year) I hear fair,,, used to be better but recent insertion of three ear tubes has changed that.... I don't like to be touched at all unless I know its coming and some days that still is NOT OK>>> and the intuition thing is very very~ strong!!
  7. Ness

Ness New Member

I have to cut the tags out of everything that I wear or they will drive me crazy..and feel like I am being stabbed or scratched to death..

The worse problem I have with the extra sensitive thing is with my glasses..they will actually hurt to wear at times, but with out them I can't see and contacts are even worse.

I also can out smell anyone I know....and my eyes are very sensitive to the light. And noises seen louder to me at times...

You are not alone on this one!!!

Peace
    Ness
  8. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I had three babys. With all of them I got an epidural as soon as they would let me. The pain was so unbearable that I though I would passout. Somany other people I know did it without any kind of help for the pain and I could not fathom how they could stand it! The sight and smell, and taste things are definatly a plus exept my eyes are also sensitive to light(I wear sunglasses even when it's overcast) and I can't see at all at night, so night driving is really scary. This heightened pain thing though I could live without. I have also recently become aware of my intuitiveness and have made some wonderful major decisions because of it. I guess there are ups and downs to everything. Thanks for all of your answers.
    Maria
  9. jesuslover

jesuslover New Member

I also have heightened hearing. We have a drier that whines and whistles when it is running. It sets my teeth on edge. No one else in the house has this experience but me.

When I am hot, I burn up. When I am cold, I freeze. No one else in the house seems to share that, either. I usually wear a t-shirt with a sweater over it so I can peel the sweater off when I am hot. Our family room was an add-on, and is cooler than the rest of the house. I wear a robe or two sweaters in there. If this is part of fms (like, what ISN'T?), is there any advice so this doesn't drive me nuts?

Thanks, Nancy S.
  10. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

Right now it is maybe a little chilly in our house and I am freezing, but when I go to my parents house, which they keep real hot, I can't stand the heat. Weird huh?
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dr. Cheney's article on Klonopin explains so many things about our illnesses, including sensory overload, RLS, inability to sleep, and anxiety. The article, which is in our library, is very well written and well worth the time to read.

Love, Mikie
  12. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Wow! I'm also glad I'm not the only one. Noise really gets to me. If I'm at a restaurant, one voice will set me off - usually a woman's voice. Also other noises. Even someone scratching bothers me. I used to be cold all the time - now I'm hot all the time. I dress in layers too, so I can start to peel things off. And I hate wearing my bra -I know I have to, but as soon as I get home - off it comes! I am also very sensitive to touch - if someone touches or pokes my arm very lightly it hurts. And I also have to drive with my visor down - I can't stand the glare. I'm glad to know it's because of FMS - at first I thought I was going crazy.......

Annette2