Hello all. Have ssd question. I just found out I will get it.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DVoit, Mar 30, 2006.

1. DVoit

DVoit New Member

Hi. Maybe one of you can answer this. I just found out I would get ssd. It will be $600 a month unitl I decide if I want medicare. I can receive that in December but will have to pay $88 for medicare out of my check.

My point and question:

I am working part time right now. I am making gross $1,000 a month. I don't want to lose my disability but would like to work this job while I feel I can. Does this make sense?

What are my options? Do any of you know? I don't want lose disabiltiy. I waited so long to get it. Can you shed light on this?

Donna
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

Call 1-800-772-1213, ask them how much money you can make a month and still collect SSDI...and for how long a period of time can you earn it before SS says you are no longer disabled!

they will not penalize or "tag" you because you make the call..

Forewarned is forwarned, ok?

Best of luck to you..

findmind
    p.s. edited to correct ph. number[This Message was Edited on 03/30/2006]
  3. ckzim

ckzim New Member

1st.. congrats on the ssd...that is so great! Especially while you are still working..
    Maybe I have lived in the woods too long...but I have not heard of anyone getting the ssd while still working?
    WOW...that's great!

You will really have to weigh your situation...ssd...is a life time...(unfortunatly)...
    where as you said ..."work this job while I feel I can" is or could be so temporairy.

Would this job be willing to pay you cash? Just another thought, of what maybe you could do?

I am on ssd...have been for about 4 yrs...if I Had been working, I would of Not gotten it. I had to be NOT working for 6 mths.

It took 2 yrs to get the ssd...such a long wait. I had to live off my credit cards during that time, which of course by time I got the ssd, I had long not been able to make the payment back, so my credit went out the window.
    Just now slowly getting it back.

They have the program "right to work" I don't know anyone on it...(course I don't trust the gov at all)
    You can make only so much...and they take 1.00 per 2.00 you make.That's what it says in my little ssd packeage.

Here in Michigan...that 88.00 was picked up by the state, by Meidcaid Which is a great help.
    Also...I get the raises every so often...I started out getting 648 a month...I'm now up to ...(drum roll please) lol...701.00!!!!!! That's 4 yrs later...lol..

Your best bet is to call them...be sure to get names of who you are talking too. Or to be on the safe side.. go right into the ss office they have all kinds of pahmlets on any subject they have to offer.

Hoping the best for you...
    KathyZ

4. findmind

findmind New Member

Kathyz is right, I think..i didn't express it correctly...you have to be unable to work for that 6 months and drs say you can't for forseeable future...and it does take up to 2 years to get approved, esp. since a lot of lawyers want you to file first, then be turned down x2 before they get involved.

But if you feel better, esp. after rest of two years and correct treatment/meds for you, you can try to work without losing SSDI, under that "right to work" program, or whatever its called.

findmind
  5. suzetal

suzetal New Member

But can only make 800.00 a month last time I checked you can not make more than that .If you do you can loose your benifits.

Sue

PS WTG on your ssd win .
  6. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Donna,

You'll get something called a Ticket to Work from Social Security. This has a trial period where you're not penalized for working and if at any time you have to stop, you don't have to requalify. I can't remember what the time frame is...something like 36 months.

Social Security has all the information on their website. If you don't use the Ticket to Work and are making $1000 a month when you have your evaluation in a year or so you will lose your benefits.

Jan
  7. DVoit

DVoit New Member

I have only worked at this job since January. I guess I will have to quit. It is very difficult getting up and getting out. It is only part time. I come home and hit the bed.

BUT, I don't want to lose disability. I am only getting worse. I will need it down the road. Thanks again.

Also because I am 60 I think, I qualify to get Medicare in December. I don't know what that can do for me but I am going to check.
  8. DVoit

DVoit New Member

I have only worked at this job since January. I guess I will have to quit. It is very difficult getting up and getting out. It is only part time. I come home and hit the bed.

BUT, I don't want to lose disability. I am only getting worse. I will need it down the road. Thanks again.

Also because I am 60 I think, I qualify to get Medicare in December. I don't know what that can do for me but I am going to check.
  9. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

I cant answer your questions but Im so happy to hear when one of us win the SSD. Im still trying.

Suzette
  10. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Dvoit:

I just wanted to say congratulatons on getting SSD.
    If I were you, I would quit work, but then again: I am not you.

n.f.
  11. borntired

borntired New Member

Hi Dvoit,

I too am 60. I applied for SSD two and 1/2 years ago. The first lawyer I had said I could not work. I had some contract work that didn't amount to a whole lot of money. I don't have the lawyer anymore because I have moved to a different state. This woman who is representing me is not a lawyer but she and her husband worked in the SSD department and she said that it's ok as long as you don't make more thatn $840.00. I have a friend, though in Florida who said she got SSD but her friend who wasn't making much working from her home did not get it because the Judge said if she could work part time she can work full time! It's the luck of the draw. I will pray for you, I think we might have our age in our favor.

God Bless you.

Borntired
  12. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

Do they take taxes out of your SSDI?

Tigger
  13. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

basically that is what they took out of our checks for while we were working...sorta like the insurance premiums are worked...you pay the big guys and they invest your money and get rich off us...that's they way i see...

donna you can work like 9 months while receiving ssdi..trial work period and make unlimited amount of money...

great site to go to is disabilitysecrets.com

jodie