Hello, All -- New-Member-Greetings from Costa Rica

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Maxine_CR, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Maxine_CR

Maxine_CR New Member

I've been lurking for a few days, reading through posts. I've a myriad questions/comments but will keep this intro as brief as I know how to...!

I fell ill with supposed viral meningitis early November of last year. I never recovered and had many, many disturbing neurological symptoms including horrendous headaches, burning and tingling in the extremities, lack of coordination, cognitive dysfunction -- on top of the sore throat, swollen gland, achiness of the supposed virus. I packed myself off to the US last month and was scanned, poked and prodded -- all came back negative with the exception of some funny mini-seizure stuff on an EEG. At the time, I was greatly relieved as I had been bracing myslef for leukemia, lupus, MS, or a brain tumor. I had little to no education about CFIDS or fibro at the time.

At the end of five days of exams and appointments, my GP looked at me and said "You know, it wouldn't be so difficult for me to help you if you didn't look so good."

I packed up and went home. Had I had the energy to do so, I would've broken her nose.

In any event, a dear family friend who happens to be a surgeon and one of the only health professionals I've ever come across to have a healthy disdain for his peers, pointed me in the direction of CFIDS and fibro. So here I am. After a few weeks of research, I have decided, with my friend's help, that these are what ail me.

So there is my intro -- I live in Costa Rica which has fabulous medical care if you're looking for a face lift or tummy tuck so I am trying to figure out how to deal with this in partnership with my doctor friend in the States. He's been fabulous thus far as he believes (imagine!) that all have the right to be comfortable and free of pain.

I am sure I will be posting frequently but wanted to introduce myself first.

Thanks, in advance, to you all -- empathy is amazing thing...

-max-

2. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Welcome!!! I will look forward to chatting with you later.
    Kathryn
  3. ozgran

ozgran New Member

I live in Australia and just wanted to say welcome. You will learn much from this board and have a great deal of support. (((((((Hugs)))))) Ozgran.
  4. dsames

dsames New Member

Hi:

Welcome from one Newbie to another. I just signed on the message board today also. I too had been looking at all the great info,.

Looking forward to meeting up with you again.
    Shirley
  5. pamela

pamela New Member

Just want to welcome you to the board. You will love being here as every one is great and has excellant advice. Look forward to chit chatting later..Pammy
  6. Maxine_CR

Maxine_CR New Member

Girl, you want "the works", this is THE place to be!

Seriously, it's an interesting phenomenon in medicine -- CR is a very third-world country but it has found its niche in very high quality, moderately priced plastic surgery.

BUT (get this), as of last week, if you have the audacity to be bitten by one of the 80 endemic poisonous snakes, there in NO antivenin to be found anywhere in the country -- they've exported it all.

Amazing, isn't it??

I mentioned FM and CFIDS to a local doctor and he looked decidedly puzzled....

-max-
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I have never been to beautiful Costa Rica, but I had the pleasure of traveling to Belize two years ago, and was so in awe of the friendly people, pristine beaches and fascinating rainforest. The one thing that would be hard for me as a constant diet was the humidity----the week I spent there was fine, but humidity is deadly for me ever since fibro!

I can relate to many of your symptoms. My first symptoms were all neurological (burning & tingling extremities, twitching muscles, headaches, hands that felt swollen & throbbing) long before I had real pain---so I tended to dismiss the idea of fibro. The overall achiness, & real pain in my extremities, plus general fatigue seemed to creep in over time.....I've had this for 4 years now. I also had a lot of depression at the beginning, probably a lot of it stemming from shock, denial, anger, grief-----the whole package. The good news is, that part has gotten better with time; I've learned to make the adjustment to a life with fibro-----that doesn't for one minute mean I find it easy now, or that I don't have days of frustration or downright despair. But I have learned to accept it, not fight it----while still always looking to find the underlying issues that seem to propel it, in the hopes that someday my symptoms may get a little better.....

This board is great for that!! You'll not only find friendship & unconditional support & understanding, but you'll learn so much about the potential for treatment, possible perpetuating factors, etc. I really believe that almost every time I come here, I learn at least one new thing (and often several). Some of the tests & treatment options I'm exploring now, I learned about here. So do visit often! I'm sorry for your illness, but I'm glad you found us!

Welcome Hugs,
    Pam
  8. bejo

bejo New Member

Hi max,welcome to our home away from home.I lurked a while before I posted too.But with the support you get here it doesn't take long to feel at home.(((((hugs)))))for you.
    bejo
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm looking for a tummy tuck AND a face lift :)

But seriously, welcome to our board.

Love, Mikie