Hello and a Question from the New Girl ;)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AmyLR, Aug 4, 2005.

1. AmyLR

AmyLR New Member

Hi all

Im Amy, Im from the Seattle Wa area.

background:

For the past 6 year or so I have been fighting with stupid drs to try to get even ONE to listen to me. I spend my time cought between not being sure which I will wake up as: hurting head to toe like I just took a ride with a Grey Hound Bus...as its TIRE. Or if I will wake up feeling as if I just ran the boston marathon all night.

Ive gone to several drs. They all like to call each other and chit chat/compare notes/what ever it is they do. As a result. They all say the same thing. That nothings wrong with me, its all in my head. They tell me I have depression. Umm.. NO. If I am depressed somedays its cause I feel like _____ all the time. But mostly that makes me alittle...iratable.

I also have what amounts to chronic insomnia cause no mater how I try to sleep... I still end up hurting all night.

I have tried to follow the advice of web sites Ive visited and kept a journal and presented it to my dr. The last DR litterly threw it in the garbage and told me I needed to see a shrink for depression. Another one told me I needed to go to AA meetings and handed me a brochiure on Alchol Addiction...which is HYSTERICAL cause I DIDNT DRINK AT ALL, not one drink in over 12 years. Wow... thats some addiction....

Ive even been accused of just wanting pain killers. Which I refuse to take BTW. I wont even take advil for my constant migranes. If they write me a perscription (after I tell them not to) I wont fill it. Why? If I do I know they will just say that Im some kind of pain killer junkie or something. Im not though, I swear.... I HATE takeing medicine. Yeah, some hypocrondriac. I hate medicine, despise drs, and have a phobia of hospitles & needles. Wow, exactly what youd expect from a hypocondriac.... LOL **yeah right**

Im so tiered of being tiered. Im so sick of hurting all the time and being told that im some kind of hypocondreiac (how ever you spell it) or something.

My question is this: how do you find a dr who will at least make an attempt at 1/2 way beliveing you??

And is there ANY way to controll this pain and to give me bakc my energy?? I used to be a very high energy person...now all I have the energy to do is check my ebay store.

2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

FMS is diagnosed by elimination.As things become eliminated as being the problem,maybe he will consider giving pain pills
  3. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

At the top of this web page, you'll see some purple tabs. Click the one that says "doctor referral" and then click on the "FM/CFS good doctor list". There were 2 in Seattle that I noticed, and maybe others near to where you live.

Don't give up, and keep that journal and bring it to the next one, and the next one, and so on......until you find a doctor who will treat you with respect and compassion!!!

Meantime, we are all here on the board to lend our support, so don't be shy to holler if you need help, have questions, or just need to vent!

Wishing you well, nature
  4. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

bumping to the top for Amy......I'm sure there's other good suggestions out there......cheers, nature
  5. wangotango

wangotango New Member

sounds very familiar. my only help came after i found a dr that specialized in CFS. he is in kcmo and has several articles out and u can do a look up on this board and read about his methods and beliefs. dr. joseph brewer is his name. i still have to hear about "you are just depressed" but mine is only secondary to the CF.
    i did a lot of research and i do know this most depression does not come on in a 2 hr period and go away just as fast. thats the way my fatigue is, i can set my calander by it, feel ok for 4 days and in bed, hurting for 3 or 4 and it repeats itself like that for 5 yrs now.
    hang in there and find a dr that does nothing but CFS/FIBRO
    and keep airing your feelings. bill
  6. patches25

patches25 New Member

Hi Amy,

I see that there is a FFC center in Bellevue that is on Northrup Way. Would that be worth something to explore?

So nice to see you here and we all wish you well. E
  7. AmyLR

AmyLR New Member

Thanks evryone for the welcome!
  8. AmyLR

AmyLR New Member

Thanks evryone for the welcome!

*I think this is going to post twice* oops sorry!*

Anyhow, the major challenge for me getting to a decent dr is my health insurance. I only have Washington basic health, or rather Washington bascily death as I prefer to call it.

The ONLY way for me to go see another dr is by direct referal from my dr. My dr is this total pin head pr*&^ who wont even run a single test beacouse he called a dr I used to go to in Spokane and she told him that since all the tests she had done and the specists in spokane said there was nothing wrong... then its all in my head.

They prefer to say that im Bi-Polar. For a while I belived them and let them pump me full of all these meds. When things got worse, MORE meds. Needless to say you could have told me my name was Fred and I was from the planet Mars and I would have tried to show you my pasport. So basicly... they took me who came to them in constant pain and feeling fatigued all the time and turned me into someone who not only sleeps 16 hours a day but also is compleatly looney toones. Well, that was three years ago. Meds are out of my system and the "bi-polar" disorder is totaly gone. Well, I dont think that happens if your really bi-polar!!

Do they do this to other people when the answers are easy to find???
  9. fibromaster

fibromaster New Member

Do they do this to other people when the answers are easy to find??? YES

I was diagnoised in summer of 2000,Fibro and CFS. I was also hypothyroid and was put on .25 mg synthyroid my TSH was 7.2.
    I continued to have joint and muscle pain, memory and concentration problems.
    I was sent to a Rhumy and he put me on antidepressants cause that was the treatment for fibro not that I needed it.
    It was hard to work 8 hrs on your feet and feeling like your going to pass out.
    In January 2003 I had a major depression and suicidal after surgery and was hospitalized for a week.
    I started seeing a Psychiatrist and Psychologist. I ended up on Welbutrin,Zoloft,Lexapro,Seroquel and Trazadone for sleep.
    The Psychiatrist said I was having a psychosis.
    I applied in May for SSI and received it in June but they didn't tell me til August.
    In September I told the Psychiatrist I was stopping the medication cause it wasn't helping. He thought I shouldn't but I slowy took myself off. It took about six months to get the effects out of my system.
    I started doing more reasearch. I prayed that God would give me the knowledge to get myself better.
    I started taking armour thyroid in April 2004. I found that very low thyroid can cause depression and psychosis, especially low T3.
    In June my TSH was .15 on 2grs of armour thyroid but my Free T3 and Free T4 was still low, Free T3 226, range 230-420. I also had estrogen dominence and now I use progesterone cream and uped my armour thyroid to 3 grs.
    To make a long story short, help yourself and don't leave it up to the doctors to help you without facts.
    If I go to a new doctor and they want my records I tell them no and present them with a copy of my lab work or I tell them my last doctor was a naturopathy and present them with my lab work. That way they don't prescribe antidepressents.
    There's several places you can get your own labs or you can get saliva tests off the internet.
    www.healthcheckusa.com
    http://www.health-tests-direct.com/
    http://www.salivatest.com/store/prod_st.html

some test to have done;
    comprehensive metoblic panel
    Lipid panel; Total cholesterol, Triglycerides, HDL, LDL
    CBC with Differential/plateelet
    TSH
    Free T4
    Free T3
    Ferritin
    Thyroid antibodies- anti-TPO, anti- Tg
    cortisol- am, pm
    ACTH Test
    B12 and folic acid
    Estrogen, progesterone,testosterone
    DHEA
    Prolactin
    Western blot test- for lyme disease

The most important ones to start is TSH, Free T4 and Free T3, estrogen, progesterone, cortisol

10. chazzsmom99

chazzsmom99 New Member

I used to have all the energy in the world, until 2003. I was taking 18 units of college courses, working part time, and volunteering some hours at my son's preschool. Now, if I can get the dishes done, I'm happy! The hardest part for me was learning to pace myself. The world isn't going to end if I don't dust or vacuum or....

It wasn't until I started some research on my own that I figured out I had FM. Then I moved to a really tiny town near a town of 7500. (Our county seat!) I made an appointment with the local clinic who accepted Medi-Cal, and found a wonderful FNP who listened to me, and set me on basic course of treatment. That alone relieved a lot of stress and depression, let me tell you! I learned long ago to 'interview' doctors before deciding which one to use. Just because I'm on state medical doesn't mean I have to have a lousy dr. Try that--you might be surprised.

Peggi