Hello Cromwell..Flexeril Information

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jenni4736, Jun 7, 2006.

1. jenni4736

jenni4736 New Member

Hello Anne,

Flexeril is a muscle relaxant that also helps with spasms. The generic name I get is Cyclobenzaprine. It is a small round, yellowish pill.

Since it is a muscle relaxer it can make you sleepy which is why I choose to use it only in the evenings and weekends when I am not driving my kids.

I find it helpful with the muscle aches and spasms in my shoulders and neck. I have had no other side effects and the ones listed are fairly minor compared to most.

There are some antidepresants that can not be taken with it and I know they don't give it if you have had any heart trouble.

If you do not have insurance it will run you about $25 for 30 pills. Well worth it I think! It is also helpful to take before I do ANY exercise, massage,etc. It is also good at helping with my headaches.

If I can help any more than let me know. Good luck

Jenni
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

so sorry to butt in on your note to Anne, but since I saw you were giving her info on Flexeril, I thought I would put my 2 cents worth in!!! LOL

Anne, I don't know why you wanted the info on Flexeril because I haven't been on the board reading too much lately--just posting some stuff.

I just wanted to tell you that I take the muscle relaxer Zanaflex. Well, I take the generic for it. I think it's fairly cheap if I'm not mistaken.

It makes you pretty drowsy, so I take it a couple hours before bedtime and it makes me sleep better.

Hope you have been doing well.

Love and hugs,
    Janet
  3. jenni4736

jenni4736 New Member

Feel free to "butt in". That is what makes this place great.....!!!!!

Good to know what our RX options are.

FYI...Anne was looking for a muscle relaxer to help with muscle spasms in her shoulderd and/or neck, I believe.

Anne, We all hope you find something that works for you!

Jenni

4. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Ambien really not seeming to help anymore. Since I have bad spasms and trouble sleeping, I was wondering if I could do the Flexeril (I have some here) around maybe 7:00 and then my Ambien around 9pm.

Do you think I might go into a coma (LOL)???? I think that would be a relief at this point. Maybe I am just immune to the Ambien now, but I need sleep..... I feel as if I am feeling a little better and if I could only get some sleep... who knows how I would feel.

God knows I wonder around here aimlessly during the day - so drwosy from lack of sleep.... I just need some darn SLEEP!

Any drug interactions (with those 2) that you know of???
    Hugs :) Kim
  5. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Sam's Club and Costco will have a price that usually is much lower than in the other stores.I lovr my cyclobenzaprine(flexiril)It really helps the pain.As far as Ambien ,I take neurontin and flexiril at 6 and ambien or trazadone at 9.Linda
    [This Message was Edited on 06/08/2006]
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Wow, Anne here. Thank you so much for all this info. As I have trouble sleeping and cannot do the valium or elavil any more due to them both making me weird in the head in the daytime, then I may give one of these a try. I am very med sensitive, so what is the lowest dose of either of these? I have got insurance thanks to my FIL who buys it for me.

About six weeks ago my neck was doing better and I helped Dan put in some fence posts, only three, not really heavy work, but the next day, I could not MOVE my neck and the spasms came back with a vengeance. I get bad dizzy feeling when the neck is bad too. My PT said my neck and shoulders feel like rocks they are so tight. The Bio Freeze helped for a while but like everything else it seems to lose its effectiveness when used a lot.

Thanks so much for taking the time. Now what do you all take for ENERGY!!!!?LOL

Love Anne Cromwell
  7. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Hello you guys !
    I take the generic flexeril as well .. and it does help a lot .. and especially before I do my yoga in early evening .. it relaxes the muscles so I can do the deep stretching and the heating pad on the lower back prepares the ares to take that stretching more easily as well,that helps tremendously .. to be able to get out of bed in the morning and walk almost normally !
    I have formed a resistance to the sleepy affect of it .. all it does now is help with muscle contractions and problems with the neck area .. the neck and my hamstrings are like rock most of the time .. so it helps !
    I'm glad to hear other people with positive results !
    Thanks too !
    Joy : )
    PS ... the energy question .. Ann .. I take a good vit B complex from COSTCO .. CoQ10 about 100 mgs .. a time released 1000 mg of Vit C .. at breakfast .. and I find it does give me the boost I need to get things done during the day !
    Good Luck !

[This Message was Edited on 06/08/2006]
  8. drbeth2000

drbeth2000 New Member

I was reading that out in Washington State a doctor is having patients rotate sleep meds (ambien, then clonazepam the next night, then Lunesta, la la la)
    You get the idea. At any rate this may halp you not to develop a tolerance for just one.
  9. millennia

millennia New Member

Someone mentioned taking flexiril with a heart condition. I have MVP (as many of us do) and I take flexiril, so my doc had no trouble prescribing it with that. It doesn't really help me sleep, but I wake up feeling much more rested, which is great!
  10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Glad you brought that up as I have dilated aorta. So good to know.

Love Anne Cromwell