Hello everyone from a newbie

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tinktink, Oct 20, 2006.

1. tinktink

tinktink New Member

I wanted to introduce myself. This is my first post. I have been reading your posts for a while... maybe a few weeks... I don't remember... brain fog hehe, and have found them incredibly informative and helpful but I still feel like I have so many questions so I thought I would start asking some but wanted to let you know who I am first. I am a 48 year old female from Grand Junction, Colorado. About a year and a half ago I got the flu and it just never seemed to go away. I was first diagnosed with west nile virus but when it turned out not to be that I was told that I might have FM. I went to an internest for a second opinion because I was having a hard time accepting that diagnosis because I have an elevated sed rate that was basically being ignored. I have hypopnea, which is like sleep apnea for the last 8 years and he basically added oxygen to my cpap and sent me on my way saying thats it. My doc put me on vicadin and a muscle rexlaxer to help with the pain. I was also diagnosed with depression in 1989 and have actively worked on that issue since then with very poor results, being called a drug resistant depressive. I cant tell you how many people I have told I am the happiest depressive I've ever known. But after reading info on these message borard I am wondering if I haven't had CFS for most of my life and have just been working on the wrong primary issue. (I did have mono as a child). I also have type 2 diabetes. So that is totally enough about me... tell me about you. Thanks for the time and thanks in advance for all the questions I will be posting in the near future.
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

tinktink:

Welcome! It is good to know you have been reading the posts for a few weeks now.

Just jump right in.

And remember: very often doctors have a hard time diagnosing fibromyalgia and CFS.

I had to try many doctors until I was properly Dx.

nyrofan
  3. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Welcome to this message board Tink Tink. I think you will find it a nice place.

I am sorry that you have FM but I think you will get lots of information here at this site.

hugs Redwillow
  4. tinktink

tinktink New Member

the tinktink is all about being computer illerate .... dont know how it got on their twice hehe.
  5. cct

cct Member

Good to hear from you again!

This is a very good message board and I think that you will find it to be as informative and helpful as most any support group. The only thing missing with this message board support group is the face-to-face social interaction.

I received my CFS diagnosis in 1990 and I have been searching for relevant CFS information since 1993. I joined this board only a month ago and I have found more support and good information on this board than I have found anywhere else.

Welcome!

Carron
    [This Message was Edited on 10/20/2006]
  6. tinktink

tinktink New Member

I will check into that. Diana
  7. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

WELCOME.....I have been here only for a short time but this is a wonderful place. The people here are very helpful and have tons of advice and will help with any question that you might have in any way that they can. Again, welcome .....BTW...how did you come up with the name tink? I ask because a few people call me that because I have a tattoo of tinkerbell on my lower back.....~hugs~ Mick!!
  8. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Welcome to the board. It can be frustrating trying to figure out what is wrong and getting a diagnosis. Hope that you find the answers to all of your questions here.
  9. tinktink

tinktink New Member

My family nick name was Tinkle when I was a child because I always wore little friendship bells from my girlscout friends.... over the years as I have gotten (a little older) I shortened it to tink. Thanks for all the replys everyone.
  10. tinktink

tinktink New Member

It is so good knowing you all are there and I don't have to go through this alone... brace yourselves the questions have yet to start.
  11. jenni4736

jenni4736 New Member

This is a wonderful board and often moves very quickly which is great to get answers fast when you need to.

Many, if not most of us, have had mis-DX's atleast once. SOmetimes one disease only masks another. It is a tough DX's to swollow sometimes because we are a country that believes that you can take a pill and "just get better".

Most of us here haven't been that lucky. It is a Dx's that requires research and patients, and pacing yourself. Over doing will put you back days or even weeks on end.

When you have a new symtpom that you question ask around- someone will know something about it.

We wish you health and gentle hugs,

Jenni
  12. tandy

tandy New Member

Welcome!
    Hey,..my niece's nickname is tink. LOL
    call her it all the time :)

So sorry you've been feeling like all us,which is lousy.

I still sometimes wonder about my Dx of Fibro too.
    and its been many yrs for me!! 13 or 14?? who's countin?

I also have a high sed rate.
    Off and on. The highest was 58,..which is when I was put on low dose prednisone to bring that count down a bit.
    It was thought that I had RA and fibro.

Do you feel your pain is mostly muscles? or joints?
    or both~

My sickness also started with a very bad Flu type illness. I had a strep throat that turned into a staph infection. Have'nt felt exactly 'right' since.

So,..I'm glad your here,...
    let the questions begin!! LOL
    I think I'm ready :)

Nice meeting you Tink
    Tandy
  13. huska

huska New Member

HI.I'M NEW HERE TOO. JUST LIKE YOU I READ THE POSTS 1ST FOR SOME TIME. I HAVE FIBRO AND I ONLY NEW IT FOR SURE LAST YEAR. IT WAS YEARS OF PAIN WITH NO DR HELPING ME AND PRESCRIVING ALL THE MEDICATION YOU CAN IMAGINE.IT'S STILL DIFICULT FOR ME SOME DAYS TO HANDLE THE PAIN , DEPRESSION AND LOTS OF TIMES KNOWONE TO TALK TO....I GO TO MASSAGE ONCE A WEEK AND THAT IS THE ONLY THING THAT'S BEEN HELPING.
    I HOPE YOU GET ALL THE HELP YOU NEED HERE. THEY ARE ALL GREAT PEOPLE WHO UNDERSTAND EXACTLY "OUR" PROBLEMS.
    MY NAME IS OLGA, BY THE WAY.
  14. tinktink

tinktink New Member

thank you for your replys. Tandy I am interested in you also having a high sed rate. Last time mine was checked it was 47. My other blood tests showed no RA problems. My dad has polymyalgia. His sed rate was over a hundred initially. They also put him on predinosne and it helped him a great deal. They say I am to young to have polymyalgia but also don't have any other answers or treatments for me. They don't want to put me on prednisone because it is such a harsh drug. Yes my hips and right arm joints ache as do my muscles ache and feel always fatigued. I also feel pressurized like I am blown up from the inside like a balloon. Exercise makes me feel much worse. After walking for a while my hip joints just stop working until i rest for a while. Any way I wish there was a way my sed rate could be adressed another way besides prednisone.. If I hear of any I will let you know.
  15. tinktink

tinktink New Member

I look foward to any advice as I look toward my answers. I have to go to my doctor on the 7th of Nov and this time I plan on going with a lot more info than last time when all I could do was sit there and cry ... sigh. Thanks all for the support. Best Wishes Diana
  16. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I just wanted to welcome to our little home here, we are so glad you found us, please ask any questions and we'll help with any answers we can give.

love to all, Ann
  17. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Welcome to the board. I have had Fibro for 20+ years and CFIDS for 10+. I have found the people on this message board to be very nice folks and more than willing to offer help and suggestions.

When someone is in trouble, everyone rallies around them to help them in their time of need. That's what we all need, and what is so often times absent in the FMS/CFIDS communities.

I hope you like it here! Will look forward to talking with you.

~~~
    LadyLew

18. DoveL

DoveL Member

welcome newbie :)

Stick around, there is a wealth of info. here!! I have learned so much from reading posts and networking, which has improved my health over the years..from being bedridden about 2 and a half years, to working part-time now, (about 20 hours a week).

WELCOME AGAIN
    HUGS TO YOU!

DOVE
  19. tinktink

tinktink New Member

Thanks for all the replys. I look foward to having such a great support system. Best Wishes Diana
  20. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I see you are from Colorado. My brother just moved to the suburbs outside of Denver, I miss him! But, I look forward to vacations there. He just sent me pics of his new house and their first snow. Just beautiful there. How long have you lived there?

Welcome to the board, I am in Southern California. Hope you get a lot of good info. here. There are lots of nice people. Take care, Kim