Hello Everyone, I am new here!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Robbie1, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Robbie1

Robbie1 New Member

What a great place!!! So much information and so many people who are unfortunately suffering the same things as I am. The last few days I have tried to be very busy which means doing things that need doing, and helping my hubby tear the bathroom apart, we are doing a little remodling. Tonite I am in so much pain, I can't believe it. I guess I still don't know how to judge how much I can and cannot do. I was diagnosed three years ago by my internest and a year ago by a Rheumy although I believe I have had CFS for most of my life and FMS after a car accident as a teen. I was always achy and tired. But back then, I am 50, no one had any ideas about FMS or CFS. A friend called the other day and wanted to go shopping, I knew I couldn't do it, I could barely walk so I had to say no. I didn't explain why, although she is a nurse and pretty understanding, I just get sick of explaining. I was wondering if anyone else gets "heavy leg" feelings? Mine feel like they weigh a ton and its so hard to walk! Sometimes I feel like a Sumo wrestler, you know they way they walk onto the mat(?) Like they heave one leg in and then heave the other leg up and throw that one in? UGH! Thanks for listening and I am so glad to have found this site!!!
    Robbie
  2. Robbie1

Robbie1 New Member

What a great place!!! So much information and so many people who are unfortunately suffering the same things as I am. The last few days I have tried to be very busy which means doing things that need doing, and helping my hubby tear the bathroom apart, we are doing a little remodling. Tonite I am in so much pain, I can't believe it. I guess I still don't know how to judge how much I can and cannot do. I was diagnosed three years ago by my internest and a year ago by a Rheumy although I believe I have had CFS for most of my life and FMS after a car accident as a teen. I was always achy and tired. But back then, I am 50, no one had any ideas about FMS or CFS. A friend called the other day and wanted to go shopping, I knew I couldn't do it, I could barely walk so I had to say no. I didn't explain why, although she is a nurse and pretty understanding, I just get sick of explaining. I was wondering if anyone else gets "heavy leg" feelings? Mine feel like they weigh a ton and its so hard to walk! Sometimes I feel like a Sumo wrestler, you know they way they walk onto the mat(?) Like they heave one leg in and then heave the other leg up and throw that one in? UGH! Thanks for listening and I am so glad to have found this site!!!
    Robbie
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Robbie, welcome to the group. Glad you have found us.

One of the hardest things I had to learn was to 'pace' myself, and conserve my energy.

I was one of those people who had to get the job done no matter how long it took, or how much sleep I had to lose to do it!

But I learned, the hard way. YOu are on your way, you said 'no' to your friend for the shopping trip. I didn't know what the word meant!

Now I conserve my energy, I learned to say 'no', stop a job I am doing before I am exausted and in pain, stay in bed if I am having a bad day, rest each day for at least an hour, and if you add it all up it makes a great difference in the quality of life we can have. Plus you get so much more done if you are not exausted.

Again, welcome to the board, and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl

4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Very nice to meet you!
    I am 45, and have those same concrete blocks you have affixed to my legs--and arms as well...Darn they get heavy, lol. Sometimes judging what one can do and limits are difficult--they can change and often do...
    All in the fun of trying to figure this challenge out, the darn rules keep changing!
    Hope to hear from you alot--since you have lots of experience behind you.
    Karen
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Welcome to our board and welcome to the "Overdoers Club."

I just finished wallpapering me bathroom while I was having my condo tiled. I took my time (3 days) to finish the job, but my hands, feet, and legs are very swollen and in pain. I had thought I was pacing myself, but I guess not. Oh well, it came out beautifully and it was worth it.

Love, Mikie
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Welcome! I, too, have the heavy leg thing, especially at night. "Overdoing it" is one of those things I think we may never quite get a handle on. For me, sometimes I can really do a lot of physical or stressful stuff, and somehow I'm spared the after-effects. Yet other times, I do a small amount, something I feel sure won't be "overdoing it", and I'm miserable the next day! It's so hard to predict... Anyway, welcome to you, this is a great board, hope to hear from you often!

Hugs,
    Pam
  7. Robbie1

Robbie1 New Member

for the very warm welcome! I appreciate all the replys so much!!
    Robbie
  8. joyof3

joyof3 New Member

I have foung this board to be so helpful, and hope you enjoy coming here. again welcome.

stephanie
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

Very glad your here,and so nice to meet you!I'm sure you'll find this board helpful with any questions you may have about these illnesses.Lots of support and understanding too~Its gotten to be a part of my daily routine and I enjoy peeking in.
    And yes I get the heavy legs too.And I too have to say no when I feel to sore to do much.Today I had plans on doing some christmas shopping(planned it for Tuesday since last saturday)Well I woke up so sore and fatigued that it was'nt possible to do anything!!I did take a 2 hr nap!!Tee hee~Hopefully I'll have better luck tomorrow.
    thanks for the chuckle!I like the sumo wrestler discription!!!You hit the nail right on the head!
    Warm regards,
    Tracey