Hello Everyone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Iam1ShadyLady, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Iam1ShadyLady

Iam1ShadyLady New Member

Just wanted to say hi and I am glad to be here. I have been diagnosed with fm since 2004 but have suffered from it for much longer. I am just now trying to get medical help again after walking away from dr's for over 2 years. I got tired of being treated like a hypochondriac or a pill seeker, I am neither. It seems that attitudes have changed but I am still gunshy.

I am currently taking Lyrica which isn't working, darvocet, zoloft and seroquil. I am still in pain every second of everyday and I am getting discouraged. I am going to my medical dr tomorrow and I have an artical about cortisone treatment that I am taking with me and hopefully I will get him to start me on prednisolone. I am willing to try anything at this point and I am getting ready to ask for pain management if he can't help me more. I am sick of living this way.

I have a wonderful hubby, a great 14 year old son, a 5 year old god daughter, a beautiful small farm in Tennessee that brings me such peace, 2 horses, 4 dogs, 7 cats, and 3 goldfish. I love my life except for the constant pain that I am in. It keeps me from enjoying the things that I love and I am sick of it. I am not a depressed person but fm causes my depression, my therapist has said so. I have known this all along.

I also have a great best friend and I just found out about a local support group meeting and she is going with me. I love her so for supporting me like she does. She is a rare find because she has had endometriosis so she knows about invisible pain and she is so understanding.

Well that is a little about me. I look forward to getting to know everyone here. I have been a member of fibrotalk for years and I was curious about other forums so I decided to join this one. Nice to be here!

2. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time.

I just wanted to say that it took a few years to come up with the medications I am on now. They help make the pain bearable but they do not take it completely away. With the meds I am able to have somewhat of a life but I am still always in some level of pain. It can take awhile and a lot of trial and error to come up with a group of meds that will help you and even then they may need to be tweaked now and then.

I have heard some people have had some success with the cortisone treatment but never as a cure.

Unfortunately at this time we just don't have anything to take it all away...it's a game of treating symptoms at the moment and trying to find the best solutions for ourselves...

Take a look at the top of the board, there should be a link to the treatments that people have tried and that have helped them.

My mother also has this and has her own cocktail of drugs however the pain is never completely gone for her either.
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I was diagnosed in 2004 also, and have had many of the FM symptoms for a long time.

I've been very fortunate to have a Dr. who has an open mind and was willing to learn, along with me, about FM. My Dr. recently wrote me of work for an undetermined period of time. Quite hard for me at the moment.

We also live in a lovely area and my garden is my pride and joy. Nothing fancy, just the usual veggie plot and roses, but it gives me great pleasure along with knowing that what we eat is a fresh and pesticide free as possible.

Now that I'm off, I'm going to look into taking Aquafit classes. They're supposed to be very good for people with FM. I'm trying to stay active, but it does increase the pain. Then again, I'm in pain anyway.

So, glad to see you've joined us.

Best wishes,

4. jaba520

jaba520 New Member

I was just diagnosed about 2 months ago, but also feel I suffered from this long before my diagnosis. My doctor put me on Lyrica it did nothing for me, I quit taking it, I found through this website a supplement called GABA that has been a god send for me. I also take vitamin d, vitamin b complex with foic acid and vitamin c, and fish oil. I am on Cymbalta for depression and anxiety. I am not at the newly approved FM dosage. I hope you are feeling better soon and seriously give GABA some research and a try. I have been thinking for 2 weeks now, when am I going to hurt again? But it hasnt happened so I am just going to keep taking it. GOOD LUCK with the doctor appointment.

5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi Shell!
    I've seen you over on Fibrotalk. I go by a different name over there. =)
    This is a great site, with a ton of very useful information and support!

You are very fortunate to have a great support system! I know exactly what you mean about loving your life EXCEPT for having FM and what it does to it. I am not 'depressed' either, however this FM sure can make you that way. It's hard sometimes to keep a smile on your face when dealing with all of the things we endure!

I'm glad you found this site. I think you'll enjoy it. If you go to the top, under Message Boards, scroll down and you'll find ChitChat. Visit there as well. It's a very 'light' place to be, where people share stories, laughs, recipes, 'hellos' etc.

Good Luck w/ your Doctor!
  6. Iam1ShadyLady

Iam1ShadyLady New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome. I will explore this site more when I come back from the dr.

7. charming

charming New Member

I hope you find the Doctor that is really there for you and listen and understands CFS/FMS. I have a new appointment in the chronic pain dept next Wednesday 07/23/08 and I already know that I won't get any narcotics because my doctor is at the Cleveland clinic foundation and I am a employee there also . I never had a cleveland clinic doctor since I been an employee for 7 years just that I transfer to another dept and they dropped my insurance and said I have to have theirs.I know that the dept for pain management or chronic pain specialize in fibromyalgia so I hope I will get what I applied for.And I wish you the same.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/14/2008]
  8. dinda

dinda New Member

Nice to meet you. I was diagnosed about two months ago. I have my second dr's appt next month. He did not give me anything for my fibro just told me to keep taking prozac and start walking.

I'm not sure if I like this dr, but I'm going to give him a second chance. He wouldn't even give me anything to help me sleep. I'm going to go to my primary doctor for that and see if she will give me something for sleeping. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
  9. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

A warm welcome to you Shell. Hope your dr appt went well today.

Take care, susan
  10. Iam1ShadyLady

Iam1ShadyLady New Member

Well I went to the dr and although he didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, he did give me a reality check when I had a meltdown and burst into tears, which I hate doing. He told me that I have to accept that I have a Chronic illness that may or may not get better with treatment and I needed to deal with it. He wants me to go to a rhuemy and referred me to one. He refilled my darvocet and gave me 5 refills. He left me on Lyrica and told me that he wants my mental health dr to switch me from zoloft to Cymbalta and from seroquil to Ambilify. He told me to try again with her and if she wasn't willing to change it to have her sign me over to him and he would take care of me. He said the new meds wouldn't cure me but they would make me feel better than I do now. He told me that we don't know why God puts these things on us but He is all knowing and all powerful and we have to trust in Him that He has a reason. It took me by surprise because most drs don't bring up religion. I was pleased. He told me that maybe I would be sitting in the lobby and touch someone's life that needed me to be there in the position that I am in. It made me think. Like I said he didn't say what I wanted to hear but he made me think.
    He told me that he would not prescribe prednisolone. He said that while it may make me feel better fm wise it would bring on a new host of side effects like diabetes and other things I can't remember(brain fog). He said it was not wortht the risks.
    He also prescribed a Cpap. Now my insurance is making him jump through hoops to get it for me. Frustrating!!!
    Anyway, I wanted to give you an update. I am going to a support meeting tomorrow nite and my best friend is going with me. They are going to show an fm movie and she wants to see it so she can better understand what I am going through. I am so lucky to have her. Hubby said he would go too if I need him too but I told him it was ok cause he will be tired from school and she is going with me. I thought it was sweet that he offered.
    I hope everyone is feeling well this evening.