hello-from a first timer who's already got questions...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teknival, Aug 25, 2002.

1. teknival

teknival New Member

It's my first time here and I think it's lovely how much support people give each other on this site. It's so what we need, people being horrible to me just intensifies the pain even more.
    I'm sorry if you've discussed this all before but was wondering if any of you have tried these or other methods for dealing with fibromyalgia and if they have worked for me:
    Acupuncture has really done a lot of good for me. It stopped my sympmtoms getting worse and worse which they were doing, and even helped the side effects of my painkillers. It is even gradually improving the condition, although it is a slow process, the benefits are brilliant. I don't know for sure if it will get rid of it completely or not. I had to find the right acupuncturist which had been studying it full time for three years unlike my first one who had studied half the time and just wasn't anywhere near as good (and was a bit more painful- the one i have now is basically painless the needles can be as thin as you like, the thinner they are the less likely they'll cause even the tiniest bit of pain)
    been doing the fibromyalgia weekly plans with dr.selfridge's book 'the five week plan to heal fibromylagia, i thought it was worth a try and it has done some good, like joy's advice about journaling and even taking it further than joy said. i've been getting lots of fibromyalgia books from the library, ordering them from other libraries and they've been doing good. I thought they wouldn't as my fibro started with physical injury but i'll try just about anything.
    Found so many relaxation exercises etc help lessen the pain a lot too, and love the self-help tapes,i can't get enough of them-even if they just make me fall asleep, the relaxtion really helps.
    The Novosonic intrasound massager seems to be helping to, especially with my memory loss (weird) and pains, especially because it helps circulation etc and massages right into the joints as well as the outer muscles.
    Chinese herbs too, I've found do some good.
    if anyone could tell me if anyone else had any success stories with these methods or other, however minor? any advice would be good as I'm determined to battle this out-
    as much as i am able. they say whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, wow are we going to be stronger one day eh?
    i so relate to tracy and everyone- it's so difficult, i'm too ill to see my friends-i hardly ever see them-but when i am better they won't be able to get rid of me** they are so lovely, honestly but i haven't got the energy for them so they cause me lots of pain if i hang round with them. i'm still fighting my positive person i used to me with the negative thoughts that come into my head, other people in mmy life know they got to be good with me, but other people have problems of thei own. This selfridge book is helping me deal with their stress though.
    p.s am 24, have had fibro almost 3 years, only been diagnosed about a year ago (if that).
  2. teknival

teknival New Member

It's my first time here and I think it's lovely how much support people give each other on this site. It's so what we need, people being horrible to me just intensifies the pain even more.
    I'm sorry if you've discussed this all before but was wondering if any of you have tried these or other methods for dealing with fibromyalgia and if they have worked for me:
    Acupuncture has really done a lot of good for me. It stopped my sympmtoms getting worse and worse which they were doing, and even helped the side effects of my painkillers. It is even gradually improving the condition, although it is a slow process, the benefits are brilliant. I don't know for sure if it will get rid of it completely or not. I had to find the right acupuncturist which had been studying it full time for three years unlike my first one who had studied half the time and just wasn't anywhere near as good (and was a bit more painful- the one i have now is basically painless the needles can be as thin as you like, the thinner they are the less likely they'll cause even the tiniest bit of pain)
    been doing the fibromyalgia weekly plans with dr.selfridge's book 'the five week plan to heal fibromylagia, i thought it was worth a try and it has done some good, like joy's advice about journaling and even taking it further than joy said. i've been getting lots of fibromyalgia books from the library, ordering them from other libraries and they've been doing good. I thought they wouldn't as my fibro started with physical injury but i'll try just about anything.
    Found so many relaxation exercises etc help lessen the pain a lot too, and love the self-help tapes,i can't get enough of them-even if they just make me fall asleep, the relaxtion really helps.
    The Novosonic intrasound massager seems to be helping to, especially with my memory loss (weird) and pains, especially because it helps circulation etc and massages right into the joints as well as the outer muscles.
    Chinese herbs too, I've found do some good.
    if anyone could tell me if anyone else had any success stories with these methods or other, however minor? any advice would be good as I'm determined to battle this out-
    as much as i am able. they say whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, wow are we going to be stronger one day eh?
    i so relate to tracy and everyone- it's so difficult, i'm too ill to see my friends-i hardly ever see them-but when i am better they won't be able to get rid of me** they are so lovely, honestly but i haven't got the energy for them so they cause me lots of pain if i hang round with them. i'm still fighting my positive person i used to me with the negative thoughts that come into my head, other people in mmy life know they got to be good with me, but other people have problems of thei own. This selfridge book is helping me deal with their stress though.
    p.s am 24, have had fibro almost 3 years, only been diagnosed about a year ago (if that).
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi, glad you found our board. Its good to hear someone is getting such good results.

We have someone today asking about Chinese meds/herbs, and acupuncture. Maybe you will be able to help them with their questions.

Just stopped to welcome you, and hope you enjoy being a member here.

We do have a lot of young people on the board, and I know you will be hearing from them soon.

Again, a big welcome to you.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

and thanks for sharing what works for you. That's one of the things I love about this board...you can find out so much from other people quickly, that would take you hours on your own.

You can type in "acupuncture" at the top under search messages and read backposts on this subject or any others. I say if it's working for you, great! I've found that some things that work for some, don't work for others, so don't be discouraged if you've found something that someone else is not having success with.

I've found myself making more informed decisions about my treatment options (w/ my doctor) because of info pro & con I've found here. Info is power in my book & it sounds like you're not only really informed about these DDs, you're also working on your positive attitude, which is over half the battle in my opinion. Self-help tapes are wonderful to keep up w/ the positive thoughts. I always find myself able to handle things better when I get out the tapes & listen to them...thanks for the reminder!

Best wishes. Michele
  5. G

G New Member

Thanks for your wonderful information and glad it's working for you. Years ago I tried acupuncture and it helped me alot and put me into an semi remission (that's what I call it) and I was able to go back to work. I would love to do it again but am unable to do so and still looking for good doctor. It helped me so much, for at that time I had been falling and walking like I was old before my time - was only in my late 20's - and had to have help to walk and climb stairs. It was awful but it did help me a lot. Unfortunately, I moved and the doctor isn't in that area anymore.

My health began to get bad again and I had to quit working and had surgery as well. It took me months to recover from the surgery and the FMS came back with an vengence. 3 and a half years ago, I was bedridden and in pain and spasm 24-7 and I'm not kidding. It was hell on earth and I knew I had to try something and had research my information on Guaifenesin. I heard the good, the bad about guaifenesin but decided I had nothing to lose by giving it an try. I got it and am now not bedridden, don't fall much anymore, spasms are few and far between, pain level is less intense, no longer having bladder & bowel accidents, use my cane around the house but still use my wheelchair for going out - for I still never know if I'll fall or not. I am back to cooking again but I still know my limitations and that I still need to rest. But it's a lot better then it was and will continue to take guaifenesin as long as I have to.

I just have gotten over an bout of bedrest after an big family event and guest. It sure was great to hit the bed when it was all over! Rested and back to my routine.

G

6. kitkat623

kitkat623 New Member

Although I was saddened to read that you have been afflicted with this illness at such a young age, I am glad to read of the wonderful fight you are putting up against it. So glad to read that your program is working for you! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and welome to the board. Best Wishes, Kathy
  7. Karrot

Karrot New Member

Welcome to the board!

I am also a young-un with this DD. I have CFS - and I might have a minor form of FMS, too. Anyway, it is so great to hear how upbeat and ambitious you are about this! I have two questions: Where are you from? And are you married? I ask the second question because I am 22 and have been married for only 10 months. I'm always looking for someone to help me help my husband with me :) And I am so willing to hear of any natural remedies - don't have much faith in pills.

I totally know what you mean about not being able to see friends. Unfortunately all my friends live in completely different states across the country. So phones calls are all I really have. I do have my sister across the street but she has cancer. So both of us find it difficult to be social.

At any rate, if you ever just want to chat or whatever my email is iahoosh@hotmail.com There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this board. And you will find so much support and friendship here. A lot of my issues are situational and emotionally centered. I get a feeling that sort of topic isn't encouraged here. So, if you need to talk about anything, feel free to write!

Hope this made sense - having some fog over here ;)
    Karrot
  8. brightlights

brightlights New Member

I'm new here too, so I feel strange welcoming you.

I found this site while doing a search and hitting this library. Then I ordered some Magnesium/Malic Acid from this site. It's too soon to see if I'm getting any benefits, yet.

I will mention that I have tried accupressure but non accupuncture. I'm just too afraid of the needles. It really hurt while it was being done, but she assured me hat she was releasing the tender points. The next day, when I got up, many of the points that she applied pressure too were really swollen! I couldn't even touch them with shooting pain.

I asked her if she had worked with FMS patients before, and she told me yes. If she did, they must have had really mild cases. That's all I can say.

Sandra
  9. domesticgoddess

domesticgoddess New Member

I'm a fairly new person myself to this board, but not new to Fibromyalgia - dx 12 yrs ago.

Yes, I've tried accupuncture. However, I became so "stressed" with the needles sticking out of me - I went into a big time flare & gee I tried it 5 times.

Guess you could say I'm "one of the lucky ones"! I'm able to work 30 to 36 hours a week, even tho I'm 48 LOL!

I survive with Fibromyalgia with Flexeril and Pamelor. My doctor is requesting I taper off the Pamelor - rx since 96 -and replace it with Ambien. I'm trying really hard; however, the nites I take the ambien (which have been on the weekend only, since I work) I'm unable to get that "REM Sleep" as I can with 75 Mg Of Pamelor.

Gentleness
  10. jeanann

jeanann New Member

hi all of you. I was diagnosed by an accupuncturist. I was in pain, lower back and knee pain, however I was in pain all over all the time for a long time. Any way went to the accupunturist and he dx with fms. I went 2 times per week for 4 months at $84 per time. I also took all the chinese herbs recommended. I felt great!!! I weened off the accupuncture and within a few months I was back in pain. So now I started on guaifenesin. I have started clearing and have had some good days.
    For me the accupunture was my attempt at the natural. I also did rolfing, great!!!! he mapped me for my guai and said the guai is making me better. I have way more energy!!!! I too take doxepin at night, zoloft and hydrocodone. Natural is good, sometimes we have to get more aggressive.
    welcome all hope to get to know you better
    (((((((HUGS))))))))) jean ann
  11. jeanann

jeanann New Member

hi all of you. I was diagnosed by an accupuncturist. I was in pain, lower back and knee pain, however I was in pain all over all the time for a long time. Any way went to the accupunturist and he dx with fms. I went 2 times per week for 4 months at $84 per time. I also took all the chinese herbs recommended. I felt great!!! I weened off the accupuncture and within a few months I was back in pain. So now I started on guaifenesin. I have started clearing and have had some good days.
    For me the accupunture was my attempt at the natural. I also did rolfing, great!!!! he mapped me for my guai and said the guai is making me better. I have way more energy!!!! I too take doxepin at night, zoloft and hydrocodone. Natural is good, sometimes we have to get more aggressive.
    welcome all hope to get to know you better
    (((((((HUGS))))))))) jean ann