Hello from an old face on here

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, May 9, 2011.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Haven't checked in on here in a long time. Still disabled with CFS, still living in New Mexico, but getting out a bit more. I got a mobility lift for the back of my vehicle, which I can put my scooter on, and I'm able to drive again, even if it's only for short drives. Also doing the occasional tutoring. The highlight of the last year or so, though, is travel! Made it to Moab, Utah; Denver; and back home for a visit to Minnesota. Generally doing a little better, though still disabled and still need to be very careful. Life has opened up a bit more for me.

Still reading a lot.

Very sad to read about Mrdad's passing.

Hope you've all been doing okay,

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Old Face. Good ta see ya! And how nice to hear you're doin' a
    bit better. Did you see any Moabites in Utah? Did you visit the banks of
    the Wabasha in Minnesota? How's you dad doing?

As you can see, we have tried to keep up the book club, but one really
    couldn't say it is flourishing. Last Thursday I visited our library and took
    home 14 books that were on hold. One third of them we had previously
    read. Gordon is indiscriminate when he gets in the book holding mode. I'll
    have to check and see if there is an applicable 12 step program.

Right now I'm reading a book about a Victorian police inspector and his
    housekeeper who helps him solve crimes. Also a military thriller by
    Brad Thor which sounds suspiciously like a nom de plume to me.
    (Remember when Lucy tried to learn French? Quell fromage!)

It's been a busy day so far. Already I have posted 3 X on the board,
    reordered meds and washed dishes. Plus I left the house. Went to
    a music store. As is generally the case, it had nothing I wanted to
    own. I believe it is about time for a nap.

Anyhoo, Ken, talk atcha later as Mr Dad used to say.

3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Welcome back, Ken. I just began posting here again myself. It sounds as if you have people around you who accept your limitations. Congratulations!

Rock, always good to see you. I'm reading an author who is new to me. His name is Justin Cronin and the book is called The Summer Guest. It's very well-written but almost too realistic.

I miss Joe a lot. I also had another good friend who died the week before Joe died. Waaay too much of that going around! I find myself in a bit of a funk so came back here for some encouragement from people who understand.

Yes, talk atcha later.

4. rockgor

Welcome back to the board. I brought home a book by Justin Cronin. I think the
    name was "Passage". Read a chapter or two and put it in the pile to take back to
    the library. I see, however, that some reviewers have compared him to Stephen King.

I hope they have the early King in mind. The recent one got so wordy I found his
    book totally unreadable and barely liftable.

The board has changed in the last couple years. The Health and Depression boards
    are practically moribund. Still folks on Chit chat and CFS/FM. I come here for therapy and
    some social life.

I have 3 siblings, but you know how dysfunctional families are. They are not much
    for writing. I have no friends left as I no longer go to work, school, bridge club, or
    12 step meeting. Good thing I can still read and listen to music.

You want to vent about your funk or you want it to remain a formless funk? Ken,
    what are you reading?

I think I'll go watch Mama's Family on Youtube. I like to improve my mind.

5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Good to hear from you guys.

Rock, I see your wit and sense of humore are intact. I got to see my old dad in Wabasha and eat ice ice cream at a creamery across the river on the Wisconsin side. Went to the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum in Chaska with my sister, and got a tour of downtown Minneapolis, where my wife ran the half marathon. Last June, Minnesota never looked more beautiful: green, warm, and before the mosquitoes hatched.

In Moab, we explored Arches National Park and Dead Horse Point. Scooted across the Colorado River on a bridge right as the moon rose over the canyon walls.

Marta, glad you checked in again, too. People tend to disappear from boards like this and never check back in, especially if they improve.

Been adding to my instrument collection lately. I now play guitar, banjo, mandolin, bouzouki, mountain dulcimer, Native American flute, and hulusi (a Chinese flute). Okay, I play all of them badly. But music is huge therapy for me. I especially like jamming with friends.

What have I been reading? Got a Kindle, and I love the thing.

A few books come to mind from the last couple years:

The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating, Elizabeth Tova Bailey (great book by a friend with CFS)
    Pillars of the Earth, Ken Follet
    Over the Edge: Death in Yosemite (morbid but highly entertaining)
    Stroke of Insight: Jill Bolte
    Tales of Wonder: Adventures Chasing the Divine, Huston Smith (a memoir by the world religion scholar)
    LSD: My Bastard Child, Albert Hoffman
    all of the New Mexico mysteries by Judith Van Gieson

Lots more, but can't remember any of them...you know how that goes.

6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Rocky, I've whined on a couple of other threads I started on the CFS/ME board. Read at your own risk. It's primarily depression from losing not just Joe, but another dear friend the week before Joe died. Then there was a scary mammo.... It came out alright, but I had an entire week to wait before the deciding test.

Then I have two cats - remember Sophie and Honey?? Sophie was dxed with food allergies, but is getting worse with no tolerable food to be found and looks ill. Honey, in sympathy, has decided her dry food (they both eat different foods - try that for fun) is no longer what she wants to eat. New foods give her diarrhea. I can't mix the old and new because she won't touch it. Ah, but enough about my life.

Ken, I always have a book going and seldom toss them back on the pile. Rock, I think you might like the latest Justin (time?)....no, Cronin. No resemblance to King that I see. (The Summer Guest). Or not.

Ken, I wish we could hear your music.

Off to the animal shelter to mingle with people if I can. I understand the lack of friends.

As Joe would say "Huggles"...
  7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

How nice to hear from you both after all this time.

Marta, sorry to hear about your kitty Sophie and her allergies. There are so many of us on the boards who have "disappeared" that I have been missing lately. I had wondered about MrDad too for some time after he left CC.

No time to really post much now as I have to get ready to go sing (with my small group) at an assisted living place where our old director/pianist is now living with her husband. Hope it goes well . She has been having more medical problems and her husband was dxed not to long ago with Dementia. This facility also has other areas for those needing more help, etc.

Don't know if Ken remembers me or not but I think I remember him and of courase I remember you Marta and Rock who still makes visits to the Porch when he feels up to it and the puter doesn't give him problems.

Stay well dear friends. I do remember you !! I think I must have joined about the same time as Ken did but he might have joined a little before I did.

Yes Marta and I do remember MrDad's

HUGGLES to all,
  8. jole

jole Member

It's so good to see you two again, and hope you're back to stay with us. I'm not on daily like I use to be....pain and fatigue levels haven't changed, and energy is even less, but my cognitive problems are a bit better, to the point that I can now read again after years of not. Reading is like finding an old friend back!

Ken, my kids just got me a Kindle for Mother's Day, and it's the best gift I can remember ever! We live in the country and I can't drive, so it's great to be able to order books from home. I'm making a list of books I want to get, and stole a couple from your list~thanks! What great news to hear you're doing well enough to travel some and still enjoy moments of life. I too wish we could hear you play your instruments. My hubby has some of the same here, but has nerve damage and has no feeling in his fingers anymore. Hard to play, and he misses it.

Marta, I sure do remember your kitties....when you first brought Sophie home, and all the problems you had. I'm amazed she's still with you. You're definitely a good mommie! I'm sorry you've been having a hard time lately, but sure do understand. I have no close friends now (other than ones on my boards) due to illness, but have lost a lot of past friends, and it gets harder all the time. Not fun to face our immortality.

Rock/Granni, keep on keeping on~ Jole
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, good to hear from you. I've drifted back here again too now that I've retired. I missed everyone. Good to hear you are able to get out.

Love, Mikie
  10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

It's reunion time!

Have fun singing, Granni. I remember that pic of you dancing. Gorgeous legs!

Jole, good to hear from you, as well. And Mikie, I see you're back now. You were gone for awhile, I remember.

Maybe it's pick-me-up time for all of us.

11. Marta608

Marta608 Member

You started something good, Ken!

12. elliespad

elliespad Member

from my old face. Of course I remember you. Glad you're getting out and about. I've been itching for a road trip myself. If not a road trip, then at least a game of "Where in The World"? Welcome back.
  13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Glad this post started a reunion of sorts. Good to hear what people are up to. Lots of spirit, humor and compassion on this board, and, I think, the strongest people in the world.

Lincamp, I started book club! Back in '06, when I was completely bedridden. But it was hard to keep it going every month. I remember struggling to think up good discussion questions.

Granni, I do remember you. Neat to see so many familiar names on here. I wonder who has been on the longest. Mikie, you have to be one of them. I remember you from when I first got on in '03, I think.

Oh, and I'd recommend a Kindle to any CFSer. Very light and easy to read, even in broad sunlight, and hold hundreds if not thousands of books. Even fits in my cargo shorts pocket.

Hope everybody is getting some nice spring weather.

14. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Ok, I'll admit to sometimes lurking, been a busy year for us as well.

I've just somewhat begun a move from Stuttgart Germany to Maryland, hubby got a new job here. I'm living in a hotel at the moment and oh so tired of eating pizza!

Good to see everyone peeking back in again!

15. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Very neat that you got a Kindle, especially since you live in the country. Aren't they great?
    Glad you're able to do some reading again.

16. springwater

springwater Active Member

Holmes, I remember you and the book club. and good to see you back. Im smiling seeing all
    the old faces. Yes, you seem to have started a reunion of sorts. I never knew there was a
    place called Moab in Utah. It sounds so biblical.

Enjoying reading everyones everythings.

God Bless
  17. kholmes

kholmes New Member

It does sound bibilical, doesn't it?

Moab, Zion, Kanab...

18. rockgor

Tnx for the Youtube alert. I checked out a couple of Ken's new videos.
    The helicopter ride is really well put together. Wonder if Ken is playing
    the soundtrack.

Not sure if I'd go on a helicopter ride. I read the choppers are harder to
    fly than a plane. The pilots have to use their feet as well as their hands.

40 year ago I took a sightseeing ride in a small plane over and in the Grand
    Canyon. I thought I was unlucky because I took only one picture and then my
    camera stopped working.

Two days later the plane crashed.

But then again, one of my bosses said a plane crash was a good way to go.
    A minute or two of terror, and then it's all over. Not even painful.

Will check out the Enchanted Forest video tomorrow. Is A. A. Milne
    involved? What's going on at your casa?

19. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Nice to hear from you. I thought it might be fun to get back on here, reconnect with old friends, and maybe jump on here a little more again.

Very neat that you've read Wild Snail Eating and Stroke of Insight, too. I loved both of them.

I will check out the bios you've been reading.

Very glad you're energy levels are improving. I hope that you will be able to do a little travelling again, or more exploring of your wonderful city of Toronto!

20. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Very neat that you've found some of my videos. I've been posting a lot on Youtube. Feel free to share anything on here that you want.

I just completed a video on the "24 Hours in the Enchanted Forest: a Race to Solve CFS":
    It was a wonderful, inspiring event, and I got to use my video skills to do a highlights/informational video on it.

Here it is on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/26042017

It will be on Youtube soon as well.

I've forgotten the board rules. Am I allowed to post my videos on here? I'd like to post some of my work on Chit Chat, but also on the ME/CFS board.