Hello - help needed re charities

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrA, Dec 28, 2005.

1. mrA

mrA New Member

Hi All

I am not a fibromyalgia sufferer however this year I have met someone who is. As a result I feel as though I need to DO something.

I would like to donate to a fibromyalgia charity on a regular basis in 2006 however I am finding it hard to find a charity that is credible. I have donated to a charity in america but I am really looking for a UK charity that can take advantage of gift aid (for those that dont know the treasury "tops up" your donation with the tax you would of paid on that donated money) to maximise my small contribution. I would also prefer a charity that pays or contributes to research or provides real care for sufferers. Finally I want the charity to be mainly volunteer based with a large proportion of the money going to "front line" service rather than Admin.

I would really appreciate your advice.

Thanks

MrA
  2. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

hi mra
    pleased to meet you.
    my husband does something sponsered every year to donate to fmauk. you can email them at fmauk@hotmail.com and the website is www.fibromyalgia-association.org.
    they are based in the west midlands and nearly all staff are fm or me sufferers.
    last year he did a 100 mile bike ride and raised nearly £700 to send to them.they sent him a shirt to wear while he was out there but ive bought one for myself at £6.

all the best smiffy (east anglia)
  3. mrA

mrA New Member

Thanks

And well done on the fund raising.

I have looked at there website. Maybe a possibility although I am slightly alarmed that lack of communication seems to be the main topic of conversation ! Perhaps I might be able to assist in some way.

Would welcome more suggestions.

MrA
  4. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

ive just trolled through the address book.
    the lady who deals with sponsership is sue tait she was friendly and answered all our questions. the money goes to research into fm and not their running cost.
    these costs are met through the magazine they produce and their fibro awareness products.
    goodluck in your quest :)
  5. mrA

mrA New Member

thanks again. Its now on my list for 2006.

Happy new year
  6. mrA

mrA New Member

Hi Kate

Thats a good idea. I have chosen the charity above to give to however if there are any sufferers in the loughborough (leics) area then please let me know through this forum and i will see what I can do on a case by case basis.

Happy new year
  7. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

this is an fm help line also run by fms sufferers they hold lists of support groups up and down the country may be you could drop in on one in your area i know i would be mega greatful for you if i didnt have my wonderful husband.
    if you came to help me i would steal you away :)

and now i cant find it. i will post what ive written so far as weve been having power cuts.

RASP! this is all i can come up with at the mo. 0870 220 1232. they might hold group listings or be able to give you the number i cant find :)[This Message was Edited on 12/30/2005]
  8. mrA

mrA New Member

lol

I have looked up the helpline and they have a helpline in Nottingham. I may give them a buzz and see if anyone there want to steal me away.

Kind regards

MrA
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

ProHealth has raised more than $2.5 million through sales of its products for research into, and advocacy for, our illnesses. Contact them through TechSupport@Prohealth.com.

Love, Mikie