Hello I am new

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Caerlaverock, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Caerlaverock

Caerlaverock New Member

Hello everybody, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 1990 and have more or less put up with it with the occasional help of Elavil and other antidepressants. I also used to take Bayer Aspirin almost everyday. I find that each year the winter months become harder to deal with, although I also find the heat of summer difficult as well. I am quite down at the moment mostly due to some health problems that my husband is dealing with. Today is my 59th birthday and it just feels as if I am really getting old and life is passing me by. Most of the time I am okay once I get moving, but it is a major effort and once I stop I only want to lie down and rest, which of course causes my body to seize up. I also have Graves disease and hyperactive thyroid which I have been getting treatment for since August 2000. Within the next 6 months I will most likely be having the Irradiated Iodine treatment for the hyperactive thyroid. I am not taking any antidepressants at the moment. I have had poor success with most of them, but recently saw someone mentioning EFFEXOR XR. Does anyone have any experience with this product ? I am having a lot of trouble with Brain Fog and it terrifies me. I am going to see my endocrinologist later in February for thyroid follow up and I believe I will try to get an appointment to see my family doctor for antidepressant medication at the same time. I am feeling like a real wimp and whiner lately, but truthfully I hurt all over. I live in Calgary, Alberta and we have severe weather extremes here that probably don't help. Thanks for listening I can't talk to friends and family about how I feel because I know they can't do anything about it and I don't want to always be complaining. I sure wish there was some relief somewhere !!!
  2. Beth37

Beth37 New Member

Just wanted to welcome you.This is a great place to ask questions,answer questions,or just to vent.I found that it makes me feel better to just vent,sometimes.Sorry,you have this invisible disease,it's hard to cope with.Take Care! Beth
  3. DebP

DebP New Member

Hello and Welcome to the board!!

This is a good place to come with questions, comments and concerns. I am on Effexor XR, and have been for about 3 years or so now. I have found it to be very effective for my depression. I started on 75mg once daily, and after about 2 years it was upped to 150mg daily, and it still continues to work for me. If you have the opportunity to try it, I would suggest you do. Hopefully you will get the relief from it that I have. Just do be sure and give it a good month or so for it to take its full affect and get into your system good. Hope it works!!!! :)

God Bless,
    DebP
  4. Caerlaverock

Caerlaverock New Member

Thanks to each who have responded and also for the information about Effexor XR. I am definitely going to see if it is available in Canada.
  5. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

I'm also on EFFEXOR XR. It has help with some of the symptoms, but..... I at first had terrible side-effects. I became anti-social and had panick attacks for the first 6-weeks. Also I didn't eat more than crackers and water for at least 3-weeks.

I too am up to 150 mgs, for about 3 years now. This year I plan to wean myself off and look for a holistic approach. I am tired of being dependant on meds. Not sure if it will work but I'm going to get it a shot as soon as I can afford it.

Welcome you will find great people here..
    Laura
  6. jeanann

jeanann New Member

to the site. I am so sorry about your husband. I have been diagnosed for 2 years. It can get very fweary with this disease. Stress will really affect it!!!!

Get moving. The YMCA down the street from my home has fwater aerobics fro $10.00 a month for folkes like us. Get moving and stay moving, fI have had to slow down and figure out the right amount of exercise and the right kind. Come in here and listening and helping others is also good for the depression. Find the right combo of vitamines, supplements and meds that work ffor you.
    Welcome and keep coming back here, you are loved

Jean Ann
  7. Debbi

Debbi New Member

sorry about the spelling - sometimes its hard to copy things - feeling like a wimp and a whiner is okay - its the only way we have to show we are hurting - where in Canada are you from - I have been looking for support in this vast country of ours forever - plse let me know
  8. Caerlaverock

Caerlaverock New Member

Good morning Debbi, I live in Calgary, Alberta in the North East.
  9. LindaW

LindaW New Member

First of all I want to wish you a Happy Birthday! I am so grateful for this web site ,it is a godsend because there are times when I feel so isolated with this illness. I understand what you mean when you say the weather has a terrible affect. We moved from So. Ca to Cape Cod and this winter has been awful. I am like you, the cold hurts so bad, and the humidity is bad also. I was diagnosed with this illness, after havinf a cervical fusion. A year after the fusion this appeared. I took Prozac for several yars and then just lately stopped. I really didn't see it helping any longer. This is definitely a lifechange, from being so acvtive having a full time job, and a life to now being so isolated and in constant pain. I try to take one day at a time. Hangin there. Guess I will try to sitby the wood stove today. The warmth does help.