Hello, I'm wondering what the "fog" is? and oxycontin pain med?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dursuery, Aug 26, 2002.

1. dursuery

dursuery New Member

Hi,
    I am new to the board and happy I have found a place people know and about FMS. It is really disrupting my life and it seems to be getting worse. I could not bend my arms out straight last week after working a lot of overtime. I had to rub and rub them the pain is horrible. The Doc put me on oxycontin and it sure helps but is this med bad for you?
    I have heard people talk about the "fog" and I was wondering about it? Any help I could sure use it, I am stuck in a little town where the Docs don't seem to know alot..Anything so I can help myself..
    Thanks,
    Deb
  2. dursuery

dursuery New Member

Hi,
    I am new to the board and happy I have found a place people know and about FMS. It is really disrupting my life and it seems to be getting worse. I could not bend my arms out straight last week after working a lot of overtime. I had to rub and rub them the pain is horrible. The Doc put me on oxycontin and it sure helps but is this med bad for you?
    I have heard people talk about the "fog" and I was wondering about it? Any help I could sure use it, I am stuck in a little town where the Docs don't seem to know alot..Anything so I can help myself..
    Thanks,
    Deb
  3. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

We call the memory/cognitive problems "fibrofog".

You can find out so much info from the library and from the members. Be sure to order a patient guide (1st post on every page & it's free) to help educate you, your family & friends.

One of the first things I learned thru research is that you have to pace yourself, especially when exercising. If you overexert (and it will almost definitely take a great deal less to overexert yourself than when you did not have fms) you will take much longer to recover than another person w/o fms. For me, who was so out of shape to begin with, I started extremely slow. 5 minutes at a time was too much, I had to build up slowly.

Type in oxycontin on search messages or on the library or home page. I personally am not on pain meds at this time, but there are others who can give you advice. Some use meds, some do not, most use a combo of supplements, meds, alternatives.

Best wishes. Michele
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Deb, welcome to the board. We have many members who take Oxycontin here. Some get great results from it.

As for the Fibro Fog, I think someone else has filled you in on that one.

The Fog comes and goes, I have Fibro for 20 plus years, and it just stays about the same. Sometimes its worst than others, then it clears up and I can think perfectly. In my case I can't see where it grew progressivly worst with the years.

As for the pain, have you tired Magnesium, its a fact that most of us who suffer from FM/CFS are deficient in this mineral.

What I take is; 'Pro Health' Malic Acid and Magnesium, you can go to the link on the right top of the board where it says;'Store' and read about its benefits for FM.

Also, over exerting yourself will cause severe pain, not sleeping well is also another culprit, along with stress.

I hope this has been of some help to you, please feel free to ask questions, we will be glad to answer all that we can, or direct you were to go for more information.

You might want to go to the top were it says; 'Home', Library' and 'Community', there is are some wonderful information there, and updates on treatment frequently by some well know health professionals that are doing research on FM/CFS.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. G

G New Member

and know you will learn a lot here. Do your research on your illness and this site has the best information on it!

Keep an daily journal of your health for each day about your pain level and how you felt throughout the day. This will help you with your doctor and yourself as well. Record your symptoms as they come and go. Also learn what symptoms you may get and print it out or write it down.

Learn alternatives as an aid to coping for there are several you can do along with your treatment.

Always remember you are not alone and that you can ask anything and please don't be afraid to do so.

G
  6. nova

nova New Member

I find it very helpful with little or no side effects!!!
    Constipation is the worst problem I have with it and fiber takes care of that!!!!

Tara