Hello MsMaGuess

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jackie41, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

Hi Marsha

I stumbled onto one of your posts where you said that you use forearm crutches. Since there aren't many of us crutch users on this board, I thought I give you a post.

I started with a cane when I was 28, due to tired legs. After about 3 months, I went to 2 canes for another few months, then got the forearm crutches and have been using them for about 3 years. I also have a walker which I only use rarely. If I'm having a really good day, I use the 2 canes just in case I'll need some support, but for most days, I find the crutches work very well. It's so easy to walk with the crutches that I can go much farther and have never felt the need for a wheel chair or scooter.

How long have you been on yours? Do you use them full time? Was it embarrassing for you to start using them? It was most embarrassing for me when I started using 2 canes. From there, switching to the crutches wasn't as much of a deal. I still feel a bit self-conscious, though. I walk so well with the crutches that I don't look like I need them, unless I'm in a major flare. If people ask why I'm using crutches when I don't look like I need them, I say you should see me walk if I try to do without---then I hit them with one of the crutches!!!

Anyway, I'd like to hear about your experiences since there aren't many of us here.

Hugs

Jackie
  2. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

I don't think I'll be throwing mine away any time soon. At first I just used them when my legs were really weak. I would push getting off the crutches as soon as I could walk without them after each flare and I'd usually get off them a little too soon. Gradually I stayed with them a little longer till I was sure that I wouldn't relapse. At first I used them for an extra day or two. Then a day or two became a few days, then a week or two, etc. I slowly realised that I was able to walk farther and feel more secure with the crutches, even after I didn't absolutely need them.

In 2004 I had a flare in early August and couldn't walk without the crutches for about three weeks. I stayed on them about an extra month after I could walk again. I was only off the crutches for 3 weeks when I had the worst flare ever. I was in a wheel chair for 2 weeks because my legs were so weak. Then I could only walk with a walker for about 6 weeks. After that I had enough leg strength that I could walk with my crutches but not without. It was almost May before I could walk again. This time I decided to stay on the crutches. I would maybe not always use them around the house or for short distances at the office where I work ( which is tricky since I usually wear pumps at work!!!) but I don't even do that anymore. I don't see any point in spending a little while here and there without the crutches just to prove I can, so I basically use them all the time now.

The good thing is that I haven't had a flare or even nearly as much leg pain since using the crutches full time. I am walking much farther and feel better for the exercise. So it looks like I won't be throwing my crutches away any time soon

Jackie