Hello, Newbie Here :)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Vegan_Zoey, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Vegan_Zoey

Vegan_Zoey New Member

Hello, I'm pretty new to the forums. I just joined last week, decided i might as well make an introduction thread ^_^;;

18 year old high school student/ animal rights activist who was diagnosed with fibro some time earlier this year. Though I've been dealing with symptoms since I was 12, they've gotten progressively worse over the years. My doctor's and I agree I have CFS too but they haven’t put it down on paper yet. I was diagnosed with depression and social anxiety disorder last year.

I missed a year of high school thanks to these illnesses, last year I was in the HomeBound program for disabled students (they call you on the phone and the material is a little laid back). This year I thought I could handle switching to the more intense online high school program, but I'm struggling and am falling behind. I'm planning to switch back to homebound in the beginning of next semester.

So that's about it, just an animal lover trying to survive high school. It's nice to finally meet people who understand :)
  2. evol_or_revert

evol_or_revert New Member

I had CFS though high school and missed my last year of school. instead I did work from home that my school sent me.

Hope thing get better for you with the school work.

I'm also an animal lover, I use to ride horses till I had to sell mine at the start of the year. Now I keep pet rats, really easy pet for those that are sick and so much fun to watch.

This place is really great.

btw I'm 20 now and at university :D.
  3. Vegan_Zoey

Vegan_Zoey New Member

Nink: Thanks for your support, it is very difficult, but I’m trying to stay motivated and make use of the accommodations so that I can finish high school.

I do have a decent amount of pets hehe: 6 spoiled rotten kitties and a dog. I love them so much :] It’s totally awesome what your friend is doing rescuing animals like that. Some day I dream of doing something similar, if fate allows it :]

It nice to meet people of all ages with these Dds, so I can learn about peoples varying experiences :] and I do kind of miss the social aspect. Seeing as how I have social anxiety disorder I’m a lot less stressed out at home, though a little lonely.

evol_or_revert: Sorry to hear you had to deal with this stuff in high school too, I know how difficult it is. Thank you for wishing me luck, I could use some :]

It’s great you love animals, they’re so comforting aren’t they? I would love to have some cute little rodents… but seeing as I have 6 cats and a dog in a small area I don’t think it wise :[

I wish you the best of luck at university!
  4. llama

llama New Member

Hi and welcome,

I hope you'll like this board. Overall, people are very kind and generous with their advice, support and warmth.

I hope you'll be happily surprised by how much humor and OT posts there are. When I first visited this board, I thought it would just be a lot of endless medical stuff and just basically a serious site. But luckily, most of us have a very well developed sense of humor and a wide variety of interests. Really helps to distract you, when you're having a particularly bad day!

Good Luck .....Jill..........
  5. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I am glad you found this board. There are so many nice people here and SOOO much good information. Everyone is supportive and it helps to have people to talk to who know what you are going through...especially when a lot of us don't get out much.

I hope your school work goes ok. Do what you need to do to get through. If you have to scale back than definitely do it.

You sound like you are off to a good start with healthy eating. That is a big help with these illnesses. I became vegan 2 years ago in an effort to help my CFS. It did help. I saw some improvement.

Anyhow, Good luck with school and welcome to the board!

Pam
  6. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Welcome! Glad you found us...I'm sure you are going to like this board. You get all kinds of personalities here...it's so much fun. And when you have a problem, everybody drops everything and rallies around you to help you if they can, but definitely give you loving support.

What exactly is vegan? I know it is all vegetable, but is there anything else unique to the way of eating? I am a semi-vegetarian. I eat nothing but vegetables and fish. No meat of any kind whatsoever.

Good luck in your schoolwork. I admire you for your tenacity. My niece is high-functioning asperger's disease, a type of autisum which has some social anxitey disorder associated to it.

We're really proud of her. She spent a year in a rehabilitation center and after eight years of struggling through school, is graduating from college in December.

So hang in there! You can do it, too! Sometimes it just takes a little longer. BTW, she's an animal lover, too!
    She has a rottweiler named Max...they call him "the gentle giant." He's such a love. She also has a boa constrictor and a rare lizard. The boa sits in her lap.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Hugs,
    ~~~
    Auntie Lew

7. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Hi Ladykew...I am vegan as well. Vegan Zoey can probably answer better for you as I have only been vegan for 2 years. I am a bit different because I am doing it for health reason not as an animal rights activist (though I do love animals). A few times a year I might eat a dessert that is not vegan so I guess I am not a true vegan.

So here goes...Vegan means no eating no animal products at all. No meat, no dairy, no eggs, nothing at all that has animal products in it. Some vegans don't eat honey. And most vegans who do it for animal rights also dont use products or clothes that were made with any type of animal or animal product.

So that is my explanation of veganism. I have found that becoming vegan has helped me with CFS. I am definitely better than I was before being vegan although far from cured.

There are many tasty things you can eat...including vegan desserts. It is not just vegetables. I eat fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, beans, whole grains, brown rice, tofu, vegan chili, vegan tacos, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, the list goes on and on. Very tasty and healthy!

I am sure vegan zoey could add more about it.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/25/2006]
  8. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Hi, pw75, and thank you for your reply. I appreciate your input. I don't consider myself a true vegetarian, either, because I do eat eggs, but I don't drink milk...I drink rice milk. And as I mentioned, I do eat fish.

I do this for both health reasons and also for animal rights.

I have had FM for 20+ years and CFIDS for 10+ years. I also suffer from major depression and severe anxiety. Throw in Disk degenerative disease, Osteoarthritis, Scoliosis, Sleep Apnea, IBS, Chronic Gastric Disease, and Graves disease, and I'm a real mess at 60 yrs old (next mo).

But I do my best, and try to enjoy life. I love this board. It has helped me so much, and has brought me back to the world.

It was nice to meet you. Thanks again for your input.

Best to you,
    ~~~
    LadyLew
  9. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Sounds like you have a number of things you are dealing with. Like you I am glad to have this board. It is really nice to get to chat with people. Especially when these illnesses keep a lot of us from getting out much.

Pam
  10. tinktink

tinktink New Member

I am a newbie here also and am finding great information along with great support. I hope you like the board as much as I do. I feel much less isolated and hope it makes you feel that way too. Glad you found us. Best Wishes Diana

PS. Hello from my 2 dogs .... trip and lili and my 2 cats pride and mortimer. They love animal lovers :)
  11. kriket

kriket New Member

Glad that you joined all of us here!!!! I also have depression and social anxiety. I have 7 dogs and a growing baby squirrel!!! Anyway, just wanted to welcome you here!!!

Kriket
  12. Vegan_Zoey

Vegan_Zoey New Member

Llama: Thanks for the welcome ^_^ I’ve noticed some of the cute OT jokes, its nice to be able to laugh once and a while :]

Pw7575: Thank you! I’ve seen how nice and knowledgeable people here are, its really great to be around people who -actually- understand. And yes I have noticed a difference since going vegan too, though I must say it was an unexpected perk since I went vegan for the animals :]

Ladykew: It is an adorable picture isn’t it? That tiger’s foster mother was a pig, so now she loves pigs like sisters and brothers. Soo cute. Pw7575 pretty much covered it, veganism is abstaining from all animal derived products and ingredients. Anyway, it’s awesome that your niece is making it through college, gratz to her! I’m trying really hard to stick with it and stay motivated. I’m glad to hear she loves animals too!

Tinktink: Yes I feel a lot less lonely and isolated here, it’s really great to finally be able to relax around people. Gives your animals a big hug for me! :D

Kricket: wow, 7 dogs? How do you manage all of them? And a squirrel? Sooo cute, you’re so lucky hehe. Anyway, thank you for welcoming me!
  13. akanesama

akanesama New Member

Hi Zoey!! It's nice to meet you ^_^ I'm kinda new here, too! I love animals, too! I have a new Shih Tzu (he's 5 months old now) named Cocoa. You should post piccies of your pets! ^-^

Good luck with High School, I think High School for me was more stressful than college (I'm 25) :)
  14. kriket

kriket New Member

It's not too easy managing 7 dogs. 3 of them are outside dogs and 4 are inside. The inside dogs are little, but can still be hard to deal with, but all in all they are cute and have a lot of love to give. The little squirrel is not really that much of a problem. She is so cute and playful.

Kriket
  15. Vegan_Zoey

Vegan_Zoey New Member

jillstarr : I’m sorry to hear about your son, if it does turn out to be something disabling you might want to consider some of the at-home schooling options. It’s definitely easier than walking all over school for classes, etc.

akanesama : Hello, welcome to the forum for you too then. I saw your profile pic, your pup is absolutely adorable! And I’m thinking about getting some pics of them, if I can ever get them to sit still long enough to take one hehe.

Kriket: They always bring more joy than work huh? The squirrel sounds really cute, how did you get her?
  16. Kazah

Kazah New Member

welcome, i hope you find this place useful. I only joined a bout a year ago and have found it so liberating to find so many kindered spirits!

I got FM bad when I was 17, missed alot of school and failed my exams. I becam vegan at 18 (I was vegetarian before that scine 11yrs old) and definitley began to notice a difference to the point where i managed to go back to school and then get a job i love. I think becoming vegan was definitley a turning point but it took a few years to detox myself to the point of being ready for the outdside world - i was on income support ( UK benefit)due to my illness for 6 years till i was ready to face life again.

It has in no way got rid of my symptoms but i can now get out of bed most days and be a bit more productive than early on in my illness.

I keep tweaking my diet ans have recently cut out caffine except for the occasional treat and drink hot water most of the time. there's alot more vegan 'junk food' around these days and i try to avoid this stuff as it's still really processed and i notice the difference, but none of us can be angels and sometimes all you can mange to do is stick a veggie burger in the oven!

Hope you feel better soon and keep posting!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/27/2006]
  17. Vegan_Zoey

Vegan_Zoey New Member

bumping for myself - too tired to reply at the moment ^_^;; Not ignoring you!
  18. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I can identify. I became vegan two years ago but was not a vegetarian before that. It was quite the adjustment but as you said it helps. I improved after changing my diet. I have been slacking on the fruits and veggies lately (not getting in enough servings a day) but I am working on that again as I am in a flare up.

I definitely know the feeling of it being all you can do sometimes to just heat up a veggie burger. I too have some treats now and then but really since I have become vegan I notice that I don't crave the sweets and junk like I used too. I bought a chocolate and raspberry chocolate bar (endangered species brand) and it took me about two weeks to eat one chocolate bar. How crazy is that!

Anyhow, I am just rambling. Just wanted to say that I agree that being vegan does help with this illness.

Glad to see there are other vegans on this board and not just me :)

Take Care,
    Pam
  19. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Zoey!

Glad you found us, but I'm SO SORRY to hear of your struggles. I hope it gets better for you.

I love animals too. My cat of 19 years died over the summer. It was tough to lose him, but we were so blessed that he lived that long. He was a Birman and TOO CUTE for words. Thanks for joining us on the board!

Much love, Erika
  20. kriket

kriket New Member

My b/f's sister saw the dogs chasing something one day and so she went out to see what it was and it was a baby squirrel. She quickly ran and saved her, and now my b/f and I are raising her.

I will put another pic. of her on my profile.

Kriket