hello, newly diagnosed. sixteen years old. couple questions?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sherridl, Feb 10, 2006.

1. sherridl

sherridl New Member

i was wondering,
    i'm 16 years old, and i just got diagnosed with FM two days ago.
    before getting diagnosed, i traveled around numerous doctors,
    and one doctor told me it was depression, and all in my head.
    nevertheless, i've still been sick for about four months.
    i haven't been able to get back in school really,
    and it takes a tremendous amount of effort to stay out for
    longer than two to three hours.
    and even then, i only usually do that once every couple weeks.
    so, i guess my question is...
    how did you guys get your lives back on track?
    i really want to get back to my normal life,
    exercise, hang out with friends, go to school.
    but i don't know how to.
    is there anything that helps,
    other than exercise, knowing your limits, etc?
    and does anyone here get real bad migraines
    that last for a week or two?
    i just got put on a new med for fibro, cymbalta, the other day.
    any experience with that?
    sorry for all the questions,
    i'm just kind of worried about it all.
    i haven't heard of anyone as young as me getting it.
    as far as they can tell, nothing triggered it.
    it just appeared one day.
    my mom also has it, but we're doubtful i got it from genetics,
    because she got it as a complication from a med.
    anyways, any kind of advice or help would be appreciated :0].
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I think I saw something somewhere that if you get it when you are young there's a chance of recovery.Just wanted to say welcome to the board.There are many oldtimers to the board that know more than I do.Linda
    [This Message was Edited on 02/11/2006]
  3. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

Looking back on my life I now know I had fibro when I was in my teens. Just didnt know I had until my 40's. It seemed to come and go though. Maybe it was better I didnt know I had it as I didnt dwell on it. Just take things one day at a time. Try to keep as positive as you can. Dont isolate yourself. Go out with your friends and try to have fun. I find the more I distract myself with good things the better I feel. I had to learn the I had an illness but was not the illness. I refused to let it conrol my life. Hang in there.
    poodlemum
  4. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

Well welcome but I am sorry it has to be this way.

My daughter was dx. at the age of 12.SHe is now 20 and doing much better.

You need to help your mom and anyone else fight for your right to a good education despite your illness.That is one thing that was the most difficult thing for my daughter.

She missed alot of school,was homeschooled alot.SHe really missed out.

My advice to you is to get out when you can.have friends over.SOmetimes when a friedn gets sick like you, your friends tend to shy away.They just don't know what to do.

I hope that your mom and others are able to fight for you and you need to educate yoru self as much as possible about fm.Don't get scared not everyone has the same complications.

My daughter is better.She went to college and now works full time.SOmedays it is hard,mainly the fatigue but she was able to do it and so will you.

Take care and let us know if we can help in any way.
    HUGS
    Sheila
  5. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Have you been tested for lyme, epstein barr, or thyroid disease? Bad headaches are a symptom of lyme. Just wondering. I wish you all the best and hope you do get your life back.
    Take Care!
    Kellyann
  6. yuckie

yuckie New Member

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It must be horrible missing out on so much at your age. I just wanted to mention that my illness started with an 8 week migraine. The migraines are down to once a week or so now. The other posters had some great suggestions. Please take care.
  7. 2YUNG

2YUNG New Member

HI, I'M THE MOM OF A 14 YEAR OLD WITH FMS SINCE 9/05. NOONE IN OUR FAMILY HAS IT, BUT SHE DOES. I WISH SHE COULD GO BACK TO SCHOOL, BUT SHE CAN'T AND DON'T KNOW WHY, I HAVE GOTTEN SCHOOL (HIGH SCHOOL) TO TEACH HER AT HOME 2X A WK. SHE DOESN'T REALLY GO OUT WITH ANY OF HER FRIENDS ANYMORE.
    SHE GOES TO PHYS THERAPY 2X WK, COUNSELLING ONCE A WEEK. SHE HAS GOTTEN MORE ACTIVE. BUT BAD HEADACHES, PAIN IN MOST OF HER BODY. ARE U ON ANY MEDS? I THOUGHT SHE WAS THE ONLY TEEN WITH IT. I;VE ONLY HEARD ABOUT OLDER PEOPLE GETTING IT.
  8. julieboo

julieboo New Member

Hi sherridl,

Just knowing what is wrong with you is a major thing, now do not ever let any one tell you , you are crazy or that it is all in your head. People just do not understand because they do not have it.
    I have had chronic fatigue syndrome for 17 years with full fibro symptoms about 5. My 14 year daughter has now been diag. with it. So it makes me wonder if there can be a genetic link.
    I can only give you the best advise that I did not want to hear. I wanted something that would "cure" me and did not want to accept this disease....so I pushed it and pushed it until I believe I went to a place that only made me worse. I know how hard it must be for teenagers to deal with this disease since I know how terrible it has been as an adult.
    So please take good care of yourself and try to eat as healthy as possible and know that stress make every symptom of this disease intensified.
    So you have to listen to your body and when you are pushing that point it is time to stop and rest. Dont let what other people say hurt you and try to prove them wrong by trying to do too much.
    I believe that your age will be on your side. And by pacing yourself now and the rest of your life, your body can heal itself much better.
    Just know that I am thinking of you.

Take care, Julie

9. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

She is a member here who also got fibro in her teens. She may have some good strategies for you. Good luck and God bless!
    Terri
  10. blondebeachgrl

blondebeachgrl New Member

I am 19 years old and was just diagnosed with CFS about a week ago and I have several symptoms of FM. I know that I wanted my life to be the same way it was before I was sick. I was a sophmore in college and could not wait for another year. The first few weeks I was staying up until 1:00 talking with friends, hanging out on weekends with them, and being a teenager. One day I woke up and was tired. I figured take a nap and you will be fine. But that was September. I can't imagine staying up that late now. My advice to is: stay positive and know your limits. I pushed myself all last semester thinking I would get better in a week or two. Now that I look back, that hurt my condition more than anything. Being a teenager with a limiting condition is a challenge but there are ways to still hang out with your friends. I now go to early afternoon movies right after lunch and then afterwards take a nap. It takes some adjustment but by the time you are diagnosed you are pretty much adjusted. Good luck and best wishes.
  11. sherridl

sherridl New Member

thank you to everyone who responded :0] i'm happy to see how much support there is on this board. and i'm also a little bit relieved to hear that there is some relief from this after a while.
    yes, my high school is causing quite a bit of trouble, not understanding why i can't get everything in on time. though my principal has a daughter [i believe about 19 years old?] who has FM...but i don't think she really understands.

kellyann- yes, i've been tested for just about everything :0]. they thought it was a "mono-like" virus for a really long time, but when they realized i wasn't getting better they decided to move on. but they did do a whole blood workup on me.

2YUNG- i am trying out a couple meds right now, i've just started cymbalta, which is supposed to help me sleep a little more. i'm also taking lunesta, migratine, and occasionally vicodin. i don't know anyone else in their teens besides people on this board, just my principals daughter, though i don't know her by aquaintance. the only other thing i'm doing for FM right now is chiropractic. it seems to be helping with the pain in my back and neck, though i haven't been doing it for very long.

prickles- the magnesium supplement sounds reassuring. and the trigger point therapy seems like a good idea too :0] i think i'll give those a try and see if they work for me.

all your replies were extremely helpful :0] and have a lot of good ideas.
    thank you again to everyone.