hello

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by ameilie73, Mar 27, 2013.

1. ameilie73

ameilie73 Member

Im new here. Id like to know how people became athiests, and howcthey cope with there health in relation to it? Im agnostic leaning towards athiest hete are some reasons i live by
    Not excluding thiests but i believe your belief is what keeps you going, if i am wrong please elaborate, and join in as well, i am intrigued by this topic.especially when we suffer pain conditions we must all look for readon and comfort.

Hell and Heaven reside in the human consience, can you live with yourself, always keep your conscience clear. (obviously doesnt apply to the unaware or psychopaths you cannot expect someone to do the right thing when they are asleep or if their brain doesnt function the same as you)

Choose your battles wisely, will your actions make a difference? In the larger scheme of things how important is it?

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. (thank you Newton)

Everything you do or dont do counts, both are a choice and bith cause a ripple affect.

Even speaking your truth will fall deaf on a fools ears

The moment is now, you're either negative or you are postive ( thank you tom hardy)

To make someone laugh costs nothing but is priceless

We are all but mirrors. It is not the other persons company you enjoy as so much as the person you become in their company. Therefore, you are always that person.

You win the greatest race if all, out of 100000 sperm you made it to the egg first despite a hostile enviroment (a womans body attacks foreign matter)

You wont ever be by this way again.
  2. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

how coincidental I should check in here...it took me a LOT
    of years to Finally arrive at my non-belief state....lots of years
    and work on my part...

As far as getting thru it all, I count on me and help from my friends, etc....and being in the place at the right time kinda thing. That's how my life has gone and I'm 75 this year....

There is a universal energy and I believe good prevails...

I can't offer much here at this board, as I'm a non believer...but everyone chooses their path.....my path for the first half of my life was probably of a believer, but that's changed....

Take care and keep up the work....it takes work to change things and priorities.....jam

PS: THis has been quite an educational week for me, and a lot about the DOMA and supreme court ruling here in the U.S....and how so many talk about how god established marriage,,,that is balony, man established the laws of the marriage state....many choose religious rites, but a govt piece of paper is needed first and foremost.

PSS: Thinking about this topic, a dear longtime friend from these boards really helped me to see "the light" of it all...I was a sheepeople for a long time,,,followed the crowd... This board member added so much to this group and she doesn't come to the boards at this time...

Then when my father was dying in 2005 and I spent 3 months with him to his end, he finally admitted TO ME he never believed...he lived a life of quiet desperation...that's not going to be me...

But I don't wear a sign across my chest, but I'm comfortable with where I am today...very content.

Too too much hypocrisy out there and uneducated on our history...I was one of them, never questioned anything for many yrs...[This Message was Edited on 03/29/2013]
  3. windblade

windblade Active Member

Welcome! You certainly are a thoughtful person - so many interesting things here.

Love what you wrote about laughter! It is so healing, and takes us outside of ourselves in such a good way. Opens life up.

Your one comment about "we are all mirrors". I think it's true that we become more ourselves in good, enjoyable relationships. I'm thinking of the friends I have where I can put all my burdens down, listen deeply, be listened to deeply, laugh, cry together.

But these rare, precious friends - I would hate for them to lose their individuality, and just be me. But maybe I misunderstood your conclusion. I guess I am saying that I love the people in my life because they are different from me, as well as sympatico. With their own stories, struggles, joys. And I feel so honored when someone shares themselves with me. The trust is such a tremendous gift!

Will go back and read again some of your other interesting comments.

Glad you are here
    Judy
  4. ameilie73

ameilie73 Member

The world provides the stimulas, you provide the feelings/ reaction towards that stimulas. Its your experience of it eg I feel, i see, i hear, i smell, i think, i do, i sense.
    Feelings, senses etc are generated/arise from within you.
    This is what i meant by mirrors

Example: Someone says or does this = me feeling/thinking/doing this.

But regardless how I react to a stimulas (person place or thing) the "I" never changes. I am essentially always the same person regardless. Which means i can take control over how i react to said stimulas instead of feeling controlled by it, because the reaction is my responsibility it is generated from within me.

I started the thread because im interested in others guides by what they live by to. Especially when we suffer pain. Pain, fatigue, sleep dysfunction are very difficult thing not to react to, or feel controlled by.

thanks

Ameile

[This Message was Edited on 03/30/2013]
  5. freida

freida Active Member

I did not become an etheist.
    However, In addition to my religion and my personal faith,

I also turn for strength, in face of my challengeing pain and difficult sufferings,
    to other positive and bolstering ideas, beleifs, awarenesses and perspectives and truths, and inspirations.

Nature is a strong force for me.

The stability and constancy of the immense beauty and majesty ,
    of the sky, for example, and night and day cycles....help to sustain me.

As do positive principles, and kindness.

A deep sense of love and respect,
    and gentleness, and compassion...
    for people, animals, plants, the soil....
    life. For others.
    Which I can then attempt to include myself.

I look for inner peace,
    and peace with others,
    and acceptance of my difficulties,
    through a variety of ways and paths.

I believe there were always meant to be multiple ones. None right or wrong or better or worse, than my own. Exploring and evolving my own, remaining open to new learnings, are important to my path. As others are to theirs.

I am very comfortable with different religious and non-religious beliefs and viewpoints,
    as long as they don't say that mine, or anyone else's,
    are wrong or stupid.

I came upon mine gradually on a long path, one that is precious to me, as all of you have yours. I followed no crowd to the precious treasured place I am at, while still struggling with very difficult disabling illness. It was a unique road.

My warm hopes, for you, Ameile, and others, as you each follow and search out, your path.

Leah

6. jaminhealth

is my path...since on anatabloc now almost 3 months, I've had a marked improvement from where I was for the last 2.5 yrs for sure, those years I had SO MUCH pain and all mostly since a hip replacement and that trauma and injury to my body....

Last night at dinner my daughter commented she sees a marked improvement in my "being" since on anatabloc...she takes it too and just about a month now....

And the grape seed extract I've been on over 17 yrs has given me a strong immune system.

Visualizing good health helps, but actions and trying things is my M.O. Prayers ummmm....

Ameilie, my daughter takes care of a little 2 yr old with the same name...you do not hear the name very often at all. I think her parents are italian. [This Message was Edited on 03/30/2013]
  7. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Both my sons are non believers and I am unable to "argue" with them nor do I want to. It is the Holy Spirit who calls and convicts a person to believe. As for me, my faith in God and his son Jesus have deepened over the years and have sustained me through many trials. I guess none of us will know what lies beyond this life, which in the bible is like a vapor, until we close our eyes for the last time. I am a different person since I became a Born Again Believer, of that I am sure.

If you are interested you might want to get the book, The Case For Christ, by Lee Strobel. He was a total nonbeliever journalist who set out to prove there was no God and became a strong Christian in the process.
  8. jaminhealth

topic and speak openly of my current beliefs...I've read some books not many, but was losing all the so called faith in the last 30 some yrs....I'm soon 75...yikos.....

I have and had lots of non believer friends and it just rubbed off and I started my search...Julia Sweeney was my big push over to where I am now...she is now on the board of Freedom From Religion Foundation.....

I never raised my daughter in my born religion, tried over the years to have her embrace Science of the Mind, aka Religious Science and she was not ready for it.....now since her AA program, she is basically in the Science of Mind principles....life is so fascinating....

I don't know if she embraces anything really, believes in meditations and some form of prayers but no church etc...the children neither....their father was going to the cath church to please his mom, but she is gone so now he does not participate in any church...

So again, we all have our paths and what works is what works...I just can't believe in someone who may or may not have existed 1000's of yrs ago...maybe millions, it's all stories from what we hear.
  9. ameilie73

ameilie73 Member

Your posts gave me alot of insight into where and how each one of you draw strength and meaning.

Lol, im not sure now what i was aiming for when i started this post, little ditties i suppose that get you through the day. However, maybe now i understand that your belief systems are those little ditties.

I will find the time to look into and read some of the things you've said. But i have no real interest or enthusiam to affliate myself with anything really. (i can elabourate on why but i feel theres no need, and it would take up to many pages ;-)

I gave agnostic leaning towards athiest as an idea/ guide for you but i do not really label myself with anything because even those labels are missing something for me and so would be inaccurate.

I've read many, many, books, a whole library of them and i have a cupboard full of them, with my favorites to hand.

What i have learnt is this :-

That religion cannot fully be understood without knowing the history of it, or the psychology and scientific functioning of the brain and body.

Psychology cannot be understood without, knowing the scientific make up, and the knowledge of how spiritual 'wareness' can aid in it.

And science cannot be fully understood without psychology, and the psychology and possible spiritual benefit of 'awareness

Sadly, each sector remains separate. I think if they were understood together there would be a better overall and balanced understanding.

I get alot of solace and awareness raising from different music, films, TV programs, and talking to and mixing with a diversity of individuals.

I too enjoy taking walks over parks, around lakes, and through woodland, theres something very peaceful and grounding in that.

Comedians are one if my favorite awareness raising professions. I very much enjoy comedy.

However, its my own experiences in life, and going through different situations and mixing with different people that bring about my most meaningful insight.

So thank you to each one of you for sharing :)

Ameile

10. jaminhealth

hadn't heard that word in many moons....brought me a smile.
  11. freida

freida Active Member

You were thinking, little ditties. :)

Thanks for the sharing and the feedback, Ameile!
    :)

Brings me a smile, too.

I also love humor, for both the creativity, and the uplift,
    as well as the added perspective.

take care all!

Leah