HELP 2nd Opinion for my job to get benefits

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JulieL, Jan 26, 2007.

1. JulieL

JulieL New Member

I have been off from work since July of 2006 and my regular doctor has suggested that I go on permanment disability.
    I have a request from my employer to get a second opinion from a doctor that they know to determine if I have Fibromyalgia/CFS. I know this doctor has been tagged as an anxiety/psychiatrist on the internet.

Should I be worried about my employer thinking that I am just anxious and do not having fibro/cfs (and then of course I will not get my by benefits) or should I start looking for a lawyer. I have been diagnosed by other doctors in the past with Fibro/CFS and I kind of think this guy is on their payroll. I just hate to be tagged by their doctor as just anxious instead of having the disease. I know that some doctors do not even consider this to be a real disease and I think he is one of them. Does anyone know legally if I have to see the doctor they suggest to get benefits. I work for ExxonMobil so they are a big company to be up against.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Juliel
  2. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

This looks like a sticky issue.
    Sounds like you need legal advice. I wouldn't trust the doc they are suggesting.
    Best of luck
    Mini
  3. jakeg

jakeg New Member

What does your employee benefits package say about this?? If it says that you are required to see a doctor of their choosing you have to, at that point I definitely would consult a lawyer on what your rights are. I would question why they keep a doctor in their pockets if they use this doctor to determine benefits often.

I think I would look for a consult with an attorney just to be on the safe side though.

A list of things you should have when you do go for a consult

Copies of STD and Ltd policies
    List of doctors who will back up your disability
    A list of things you used to do versus what you can do now.

The lawyer may not want all of this but it is better to be prepared then not. Copies of the policies are a must though.

Take Care

JakeG
  4. JulieL

JulieL New Member

Mine4me,

Thanks for the info and support.

Julie