HELP A Christmas Gift For MIL Who....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ksp56, Nov 30, 2006.

1. ksp56

ksp56 Member

has everything or doesn't like or use what she has been given. I take that back. Gift certificates to resturants, and movie theaters, work. It gets boring though!

One year we did give to 'Coats For Kids', after being told not to get anything for FIL or MIL. We thought FIL was going to stroke when we snuck that one in! But, hey, what can you say when it's going to a good cause? LOL He was a wonderful person, but darn weird about recieving gifts.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions. We all sit and unwrap presents, while she holds several gift certificates. I donate a portion money used for my gifts and donate it to various agencies in our city. However, I do still have a few gifts to unwrap!

Any suggestions, real or humorous, will be greatly appreciated!

2. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hi Kim.

If you have a nice deli in your area, you may want to consider having them make-up a gift basket for her. It's nice if you're able to choose what to include in the basket so you can tailor it to your MIL's taste.

We did this one year for my partner's hard-to-buy-for mom. The specialty foods looked delicious and the gift was well-received.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

3. ksp56

ksp56 Member

That's a wonderful idea! However, DH's brother already does this.

He must find giving her a gift challenging, also! This has been his gift to her for years and to be honest, she gives us everything! LOL

Gentle hugs,

4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

It really does get to a point when you really don't need anything, especially anything that has to be dusted!

Does she like flowers or plants? How about a large holiday plant? Just keep it to something with a short shelf life so she's not having to water one straggly leaf in March.

Another thought is a gift basket with bath products in it. If you could find out what kind of scent she likes, or get something with very little scent it might work.

I understand about wanting to give her something to open but I think gift cards are wondeful. Give her what works and don't worry about it.

5. bmadan

bmadan New Member

Does she like pictures? How about a recent family photograph? Or if they don't have their wedding picture displayed how about finding a really nice one of them and making a 8x10 of it, putting it a real nice crystal frame? Also possibly one of those frames that you can put all sorts of different size pictures in and use pictures from the past few years of the family.

Hope that helps.

Barbara :)
  6. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I appreciate your suggestions! I tell she is a tough one!

She doesn't put many pictures out of family. I believe she has eight in total, and they are the same ones she has had for the 26 years of my marriage! LOL

Probably staying with the gift cards, is the best choice.At least they are for things she will actually use.

Again, thank you!

7. opticaltech

opticaltech New Member

I have the same situation with my this year I bought her an ornament for her christmas tree!..someone bought her one last year and she loved it so this year I ordered her one from the Danbury Mint. It is a bichon that says 2006. She loves those dogs. Every year they have a different this maybe a new trend for her gift...Hugs...Lina
  8. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I appreciate all of the great ideas you have given me!

Hmmm, may one of those might be the 'ticket'! I'll pass along ideas to our daughter. She has the same problem with her grandma.

Have a good day!

Hugs to you all,

9. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

I know its hard to buy for in-laws and parents,but I'd just like to add my Daughter just e-mail and ask what Dad and I wanted for xmas.a everyyear occurence. well this makes us feel bad we know they all have young kids and xmas is hard enough,I have no idea what they can afford.
    but Dad and I can figure out what all of them would like usually gift cards to the stores they like.
    WE're not that hard to buy for ,if they would just think what we like,or every visit us and take a interest in our lives. we raised the kids and they don"t even know we enjoy music.movies,things for our I guess what I"m saying think about your parents what was some of their favorite things when you where at home with them just because we"re getting older we still enjoy surprise,s
    most people spend more time picking out a gift for someone at the office than their parents.I wished I still had mine to buy for. just think of them as a real person then it won"t be so hard. sixtyslady
  10. would she like a maid service for a day? Or how about a day at a hair salon?
  11. ksp56

ksp56 Member

You guys are good! Possibilities are popping up!

Sixtyslady, I appreciate hearing your thoughts. Don't get me wrong, I love that I have my mom an mil alive and with us. I miss both my dad and DH dad so very much. We do give so much thought to what she, and the rest of our family would like. She lives in town and we see her very often. I love her very much.

After being in the family for all of these years, I am in her home and know what she likes and doesn't. Here tastes are extremely simple. We gave her a small Christmas tree with ornaments, three years ago. She's never wanted to put it up again. It was something she had asked for.

To be honest, her life is very limited in what she does enjoy. She doesn't read, watch movies, have any hobbies, enjoy much in the way of music. We do take her to Christmas programs and events. She does enjoy them very much. These types of things, we do year round.

I am 50, and will become a MIL, next fall. My daughter has always been creative and knows I will love whatever she feels is special. Now as for our 19 y/o son, things might be very different! LOL

In the main scheme of life, this is certainly not a 'Biggie'! I would just love to find something she truly loves. Asking her does no good because her answer is 'nothing'..

Thanks again!

Hugs to you all!

[This Message was Edited on 12/01/2006]
  12. all4relief

all4relief New Member

It is expensive to hire a profressional window cleaner to wash windows. This is not an offensive gift as some may be uncomfortable about having someone clean their home. Window are hard to get clear but the professional has all the right stuff and they do both the inside and outside. I have a 4 bedroom tri-level and it was about $120 for the whole house. If that's too much just have the main windows done. They will come for as little as $10. I know cause they come and do 2 windows and a glass door in my office everymonth inside and out for $10. They will do it in the winter too!

Another idea is to hire someone that will shovel their walks for the winter. It's not a whole lot either....YOu can spend more and they will do the drive. Whatever fits your budget. It may not seem much fun when they unwrap these gifts but the warm fuzzy feeling comes when the service is done. It is very nice. Hire a service for someone that has it all.

For someone on a fixed income buy them some household supplies, laundry soap, dish soap, furniture polish, trash bags, whatever brands they use. You can be observant and figure out what do they spend their own money those same things. I'm still telling my grown kids, buy me some knee high nylons, I'm always needing new ones. It's so nice to have a new pair. Again not expensive but they will remember you everytime they put on a new pair with no runs. It will make them smile.

Car wash tickets., I don't really need anything when you ask me but when I'm out spending my money on crazy everday things it adds up. Oil change for their car. Yes, that's getting back into the gift card idea but it doesn't have to be dept stores, or resturaunts. Get them something new this year! Go ahead surprise them. Just some ideas.
  13. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

well hon you sound like a very caring person.
    and I was just venting about some of my own kids .not all our like that,my one daughter knows I collect the trail of the painted ponies so she tries to get me one of those every year .
    your MIL sounds like she maybe shes alittle depressed, I know I get that way from time to time,its hard because the older one gets the more we all think about xmas past, and it makes us sad. for the ones we"ve lost.
    somtimes the simple gift and a hug is the best gift of all.
    when we're children our parents hug us.we we grown up our spouse hugs but when we "re alone we may go alone time without a hug.I didn"t realize that until my Mother was in a nursing home and I hugged her and kissed her everytime I went to see her,her face looked like a childs, I still remember that. it made her so happy.
    now my sister is a widow and I hug her and kiss her because we all need that. so a hug and a kiss can be the best present of all.Merry Xmas to you. sixtyslady
  14. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Family photo of you, your hubby, and daughter.
    Coupon for photo of your MIL and FIL

Take your MIL and FIL with you to have an extended family portrait done.

Dinner theater tickets for the 2 of them.

Take them out for a nice supper with your family.

Box of homemade cookies and a nice card. I think you have to give them something, or you feel awkward when you are opening presents.

Fruit basket???

15. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Thank you for your suggestions!

I think we are going to take her out to dinner, after the holidays (lol, no more crowds for me, until then!), and give her gift certificates for movies. She and her friends like to go to moves!

There are such great ideas, I would never have thought of! I'll have to save some of them for other holidays and people!

Thank you!

16. elliespad

elliespad Member

I know slippers sounds a bit lame, but I just found this website that has memory foam slippers and houseshoes. It is Cuddletown (dot you know what). Very pricey though.$$$
  17. kiki2three

kiki2three New Member

I don't know if this helps but I have a mil, stepmil, gmil, and mom to buy for. This is what we've come up with:
    Everyone uses towels, washcloths, dishcloths etc.
    Next take a photo album cover it with quilting and pretty material to make it more personal and start it off with some pictures of the family.
    This is something that just always makes a hit, make a photo quilt, you can get at Hancock the material that goes thru printer and have a quilt made and on the material do pictures of mil and hubby, and their kids as babies around them, then further out in quilt do the child and their spouse with thier kids etc. It's a great gift for whole family to work on. Also great to start when a new baby comes do a baby quilt for the new baby with the parents baby pictures.
    Also do a pretty jar like a gift in a jar and make papers to fold and put in it with different memories you and your family have of past times with mil. Anything from something she gave ya'll to memories of something that you can describe like a cook out etc. Then she can open and read when she is feeling lonely or down.
    And last all of ours love getting home made jellies, cookies, candies etc.
    I hope this helps a little, have a Happy Holiday Season
    Love, hugs and prayers,
  18. Alary

Alary Member

These gift ideas are great. I've got a MIL, FIL, and parents who are hard to sho for.

This year I got my FIL and Dad each a stocking stuffer that's practical and could work for a lady, too. At Walmart's Optical shop I bought a small bottle of glasses cleaner (good for all lense types), a lense cleaning cloth, and a new eyeglass case. I'm going to wrap them all together. Total cost $10 for each person.

How about a little picture pretty book, I found one that is all about snowflakes with lovely photos and not a lot of writing. That one went to my FIL, who has early Alzheimer's.

Mom and MIL are getting Pashmina's, those cashmere blend wide scarves that can be worn over your shoulders in cold restaurants or even over winter coats.

Another idea is a fleece throw, cause older ladies also seem to feel colder than everyone (and I'm getting there myself!)