Help Ambien and depression

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by yuckie, Mar 24, 2006.

1. yuckie

yuckie New Member

Have any of the Ambien users out there experienced depression when taking Ambien? My doctor started me on it about 10 days ago. One 10mg pill each evening right before bed. I'm usually a cup is half full kind of person but this terrible depression has been sneaking up on me the last 4-5 days. I'm angry, sad and afraid I'm going to take someone's head off. I am never like this. I called my doctor and he said Ambien doesn't cause depression however, when I researched it on the web, it does say it is a side effect. Can anyone help me?

By the way, even though I've been a member here for a while...and posted many replies, this is the first post I've initiated. Yippee!
  2. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I cannot take ambien either. It just about makes me suicidal. I have all kinds of bad thoughts. I also lash out at everyone around me. I am just not the same person on that stuff. I slept better on it but it isn't worth the feelings it makes me have. I just start crying for no reason, etc. Be careful w/that stuff. I know most people dont get depression as a side effect, but some do. I'm glad you are realizing that it is doing this to you.

I dropped down to 5mg a night and still had the bad depression.
  3. yuckie

yuckie New Member

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much for your response. The side effects you mentioned (down to the detail) is what I'm experiencing. I can't thank you enough. My doctor made me feel like I was crazy. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  4. piebear

piebear New Member

Yes! I thought I was the only one to have that reaction. I tried it a few months ago for about 4 days and each day I took it I seemed to be more and more down. I was reaching the point of suicidal thoughts. And it didn't help that much with sleep either. I didn't care about anything or anyone, didn't want to do anything either. The house was a disaster during that time! All I could do is just sit on the couch the whole time staring into space. I don't know if I was angry but I definitely had no feelings at all. It was bad. Scared the crap out of my husband and Mom.

I began to wonder if the ambien might be causing all that so I stopped taking it to see. Sure enough all those feelings went away instantly and I was back to my old self.
    My doctor was very surprised when I told him I had that reaction. He almost looked like he didn't believe me.

So anyone trying this drug should be cautious. You never know how you will react. Its just so weird how everyone reacts differently to the same med.
  5. yuckie

yuckie New Member

it seems that we are a minority (most people love this stuff) but as you said people can react differently and if we have this problem it's a good thing to recognize. My doctor is a little mad (I think) that I want to go off of it. But, we're in charge of what we put in our body and if things are not right, we know it. Your response has helped confirm my suspicions. Thank you so much.
  6. piebear

piebear New Member

Your welcome! I sure felt like the odd ball when I had that reaction since no one had mentioned it before and everyone seems to do so well on it. Glad I'm not the odd ball anymore!
    And yea when it comes right down to it, its our body no matter what doctors say. We control what we put in it not them. =)
  7. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I felt like a weirdo too having this reaction when everyone else loves Ambien. I guess it just doesnt mix well w/some. I know I am glad that we all were with it enough to realize what it was doing to us and got off it. I even tried a second round a few months later and started off okay, but then it built up in my system and all those thoughts/feelings started again.. Anyway, glad to see I am not the only one too.

Take care,
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

My doctor changed me from Ambien to Lunesta with no explanation except: take this instead. So, I do. And I have had a good sleep rate with it. And none of the side effects.
    Try and get a good night's sleep: it is so important, as you know.

9. yuckie

yuckie New Member

To everyone who responded and helped me feel better about this. I actually tried the Lunesta and Ambien CR before this regular Ambien and neither reacted well with me. I guess I'm just not cut out for this type of sleep med. As a matter of fact I have chamomile tea brewing as I type. Can't blame me for trying!

Merve, I know what you mean about docs not knowing about drugs. The pharmacist I called said yes, it can cause depresssion and anger. My doc says no. Hmmm...
  10. LonelyHearts

LonelyHearts New Member