HELP Another kidney stone??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrsjethro, May 20, 2006.

1. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

First question - do all of the lovely "other perks" that go along with fm ever taper off for a while? I'm really new to all of this - as far as knowing what I've actually got now, and it just seems like it keeps on hammering me.
    Late Friday afternoon I started having really bad sharp pains in my right abdominal area and minor pain in the kidney area and all of the wonderful "sensations" that go along with a urinary tract infection. I've had lithotripsy to bust the stones in my kidney up twice already. Once about 5 years ago and then again about two years ago and this time it's kicking my butt. Thankfully I keep cystex and macrobid on hand. They said they still found gravel in my last specimen about 2 weeks ago, so I'm hoping that maybe it's just a larger piece that's passing and will come on out of there. Last time it got stuck and they had to go up in there and get it (OUCH). God blessed me with 2 tubes on that side running from the kidney to the bladder, so at least I've got a built in bypass. Any ideas on what other things I can do to ease it up??? I'm drinking lots of water and cranberry juice too. I'm really uncomfortable and I don't know what else to try.
  2. marilynb

marilynb New Member

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I know all too well about the pain from kidney stones. I passed my first one at 17 & my last one last year at 52. According to my xrays, that was my last one. Sure hope I don't make anymore. I have also had 2 lithos. My pieces that were left always grew bigger, which always caused a problem.

Wow, 2 tubes on one side? You are so lucky for that. The last stone I passed, last year got stuck coming out of my kidney & I spent most of the night in the ER. The Dr. wrote me for Flowmax (I think that's what it was called) It's usually taken by men with prostate problems, but it can also be used to dialate the uretha to help pass the stone. Have you tried that? You may want to ask you Dr. about that. It sure helped me.

Good luck,
    Marilyn
  3. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I will call them first thing Monday morning (If I can hold out that long)and see if they are familiar with it and if I can get it! I had my best friend on call last night just in case I had to go to the ER - My husband is out of town this weekend. I passed my first one at about 21 and have had several since then. I didn't know they made such a thing that would actually make them easier to pass. Thank you so much!!
    (((((((((((((bunches of hugs))))))))))))
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

I can sympathize with you. I have had 5 kidney stones in my lifetime - and they were 3 different types.

I've had the whole bit, too -- surgeries to get them out, tubes placed in my kidneys because of stuck stones, etc.

You probably need to be checked out, perhaps another ultrasound or something, to see if you have a stone, or piece of a stone, stuck somewhere.

Good luck and I hope you get some relief soon.

Hugs,
    Janet
  5. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I'm not feeling especially well today (storms last 2 days here). I haven't even been out of the house except to walk the dog. My puppy insists that I walk and get my exercise for about 20 minutes each time at 45 minute intervals now that I'm home with him! (ha-ha) I think the stone is passing on it's own though. It hurts to walk, but the pain is moving lower, so maybe it's helping. I'm taking the actibiotics and I'm thoroughly convinced that I may possibly turn into a cranberry at any moment from all the juice I've drank over the weekend. Doc doesn't want to treat with anything else without knowing for sure what is going on and if the stone is stuck. That's going to require a trip to the hospital for an x-ray and I just can't handle it right now. I'm not sure which hurts worse, the fibro or the stone.... OH, the icon is me doing the pee pee dance!!!