Help anxiety/panic attacks

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dekese, Jul 15, 2008.

1. dekese

dekese New Member

I need some serious help here. I am having really bad panic attacks. It is waking me up at night. I went to the doctor and took Lexapro and it made me worse and I missed 3 days of work. She then gave me Zoloft and I am too scared to take it. I have taken a very small piece of Lorazepam that I have and I was fine other then I felt a little shaky before I was to take more. Once I took it I was fine. I took it a last night and I felt awful but I think I had siked myself up so I was already in a state of panic before I took it. To top this all off we are suppose to leave for vacation on Thursday and I know that is not helping me at all. I am almost to the point of begging my husband not to go.
    I have never been this bad, I have had times of anxiety/depression but it would go away and I would be fine for quite a few months.
    Sometimes even a good cry is helpful but I can't seem to have one.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. tamsyn

tamsyn Member

Would your doc give you a prescription for subligual Lorazepam? You'll likely find this would totally help your attacks to the point they would stop entirely. I went thro this a few yeas ago at a time of very high stress...the Lorazepam got me through...but now I don't have this problem anymore. Also, how about trying meditation (Jon Kabat Zinn's body scan and other CD's are great.) Also, have you tried Emotional Freedom Technique? It seems a little weird at first but I -- and other people on this site -- have found that it works. You can find out about it on the web. Take care of yourself!
  3. Empower

Empower New Member

Can you see a therapist who can instruct you how to work through a panic attack?

I had SEVERE panic attacks for YEARS

Have been okay lately (knock on wood) I think because I have eliminated as much stress in my life as possible

Also, cut down on the caffeine, it really does make a difference

4. yoga_mom34

yoga_mom34 New Member

Had the same problem and cutting out sugar, refined carbs, and caffeine made it stop altogether. I stay clear of anxiety medications because they tend to have more side effects than they help. Cannot stress enough how diet can cause anxiety.

I took Hyland's Calm's Forte Nervous Tension and Sleeplessness formula, which is a homeopathic when I was still suffering with anxiety. One pill for anxiety and three before bed. It helps more than any perscription I ever had, seriously.
  5. baanders

baanders New Member

I use compazine (it is a nausea pill). I think it's 10 mg along with Clonidine (a sedating blood pressure pill)Just 0.2 mg pill. Within 15 minutes, a panic attack will stop. These are uncontrolled substances, so your dr should help you.

6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Since you are leaving on a vacation tomorrow (!) I thought I'd tell you about Xanax which many of us have had very good success with. Xanax is a short acting benzo. which also has some mild anti-depressant effects.

I used to have terrible Panic Disorder but once prescribed Xanax (a panic blocker) I went from being a unable to get in an elevator or travel even a short distance to being very comfortable traveling alone all over the world.

Given the limited time you have before your holiday, you might want to talk to your doctor about this med. as a temporary measure. Many doc.s are reluctant to prescribe it as it has gotten, unfairly I think, a bad reputation. You can search the posts here on the board as it has been discussed many times here.

Your long term options are many -- I started meditating several years ago and it's been fantastic -- and you will get on top of this.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

And, don't forget to...

Smile, breathe and go slowly,
  7. star273

star273 New Member

I think panic attacks are the worst thing in the world. They make you feel like you are out of control and crazy! Deep breathing helps alot. Try that. I take a small dose of Xanax and I put it under my tongue. (it gets into your system faster) It helps so much. Try and get that before you go on vacation. That is the only thing that really helped me. I tried Celexa but it took weeks to help. When you need something RIGHT NOW, you need something that works right now.
    If you can get that, you will be fine. Good luck!
  8. dekese

dekese New Member

Thank you all for the advice. I think I will ask for the Xanax just to atleast get through the vacation and hopefully enjoy it.
    I have another strange question, I have been bit by ticks, today is my third time..UGH!! The first two times I reacted and had to be on antibiotic that I reacted too also. But it amazes me at how I now feel a tick on me. I am hoping and praying I will not react as I was able to pull him off so he hadn't embedded yet. So far I have a very small red spot. Is that because of the Fibromyalgia? Do you think you feel more sensitivity to things?
    But I must say since the tick bite, I have cried my eyes out and it has relieved some of my tension. :)
  9. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I take the generic Effexor XR for my anxiety and it did/does wonders for me. The generic and a lot cheaper than the brand name.

I get a 3 month supply for $25 through my mail service/insurance.

It is wonderful and I don't even have to go to the pharmacy
  10. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

has given me my life back. The first 2 weeks are difficult, so I wouldn't start it until you have a few weeks to rest.

Good Luck

sue in Ontario
  11. tamsyn

tamsyn Member

Hi, you do know about Lyme disease, right? If you've been bitten by ticks, you should get tested for Lyme as it causes many of the same symptoms as FMS/CFS.
  12. shaz73

shaz73 New Member

I have found that Bach Rescue Remedy really helps for states of anxiety/panic attacks. I used to have panic attacks, particularly if on public transport. Find that Rescue Remedy really helps. You can get it from most health shops/pharmacies.

Hope you manage to go and enjoy your holiday.....

13. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

Hi Dekeze,

I take a natural remedy containing passiflora, arnica and chamomile. You may be able to find a herbal remedy that might help to some degree in a health shop.

I also drink something caled relaxing tea which contains passiflora and chamomile.

Another herbal supplement I take as needed called Rhodiola Rosea heps with deep sleep, energy and anxiety.

I don't know if you take Vitamin B5 but 500mg twice a day can support the adrenals along with Vitamin C in high doses - 3g plus Vitamin B6 50mg twice a day and a general B complex vitamin. Perhaps you need some support for your adrenals?

I hope some of this helps