Help Anyone Know Which Antidepressant will give energy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sharon5650, May 11, 2006.

1. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

Does anyone know if there is an ant-depressant that will give a bit of energy? I am on effexor, and I am finding I am so tired all the time. I have recently been put on Alertec for the chronic fatigue, but I think the anti-depressant side affects are making me tired too. I am also on trazodone...I need some life back into me, been in a bit or a relapse with my energy here, and have been sleeping off and on lately, kind of depressing lately. If I let myself go, I can isolate again very easily, this is my dam pattern. Between the pain and the fatigue, really getting to me now. If there is an anti-depressant I am missing, let me know about it could you....must be something that boosts up some kind of energy. I am on B12 too and all kinds of vitamins...This is funny cause sometimes I am just full of energy like a energizing bunny, but wow when I go down, so hard to come back up.. sharon5650 so tired of being here now
  2. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

My therapist just put me on Prozac a week ago. He also has me on Wellbutrin. I was told Prozac and Wellbutrin sometimes give you more energy than other AD's. I'll let you know in a few weeks if it has this effect on me. Best of luck to you.
  3. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

People seem to have individual reactions, so it's not totally predictable. I found both Wellbutrin and Effexor energizing.

You say you're also taking Trazodone which is very sedating, taken by many as a sleep aid -- might be counteracting any energizing effect of Effexor.

I'd wonder if dropping the Trazodone and taking Klonopin, as needed, for sleep might work better for you.
  4. mykas_mommy

mykas_mommy New Member

Right now I am on Effexor XR 225mg a day. I feel great with it, but the one thing I notice with it is I definitly need to take my Amitryptiline at night to get a good nights rest. Since we upped my dosage to the 225mg I have not had any pain unless I forget to take it and then I have a terrible headache. I was able to start cleaning my house for the first time in a long time, granted its not totally clean yet but its better than it was.

One other warning is that there is no generic for this drug and a lot of insurance companies will not cover it. So be sure to check with your insurance before asking your doctor for it.

I was put on welbutrin a couple of years ago by a PA that decided I should take it to help lose weight. The only thing is it made me eat more.

Good luck
  5. cbella

cbella New Member

reacts differently. But I'm on cymbalta and ultram and when I take enough ultram to really rid the pain it gives me extra energy. I think the cymbalta helps too. :) cb
  6. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

I have been on Wellbutrin since approx year 2000. I went off in 2003 and when I complained to my PCP that I was more tired she said, duh!!

So back on Wellbutrin I went. Fast forward to April 2006. My new head doc decides to add Cymbalta so he cut my Wellbutrin in half. When I saw him last Friday he decides to stop Wellbutrin all together.

I didn't make it. I called him today saying I needed to go back on Wellbutrin. As of today I stopped Cymbalta (I had started it on April 6th) and am back on Wellbutrin.

Good luck in trying to decide what might work for you,
    Auntyem

PS: I am also on Trazadone 25mg before bedtime.
  7. intensemom

intensemom New Member

For energy, I've had luck in the past with Prozac and Zoloft. I did put on about 30 pounds with Zoloft.

GOOD LUCK!
    Tracy
  8. zena01

zena01 New Member

Hi, like some of the others said, Wellbutrin works for me.

While it may not work for some, I'd recommend Wellbutrin to anyone. I've been on it for 7+ years and have did fine on it and I do really believe it also helps with my pain.

Also, it is a good one for NOT gaining weight -- a lot of people actually lose weight on it -- I wasn't one of the lucky ones :) but I didn't gain either, no, I've did that with other medications. It also doesn't seem to make me all foggy and drowsy like some do in the mornigns.

And Auntyemnga, My story is sooooo similiar to yours!
    I also have been on Wellbutrin since I think 1998/99, took it for depression way before diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I weaned off it while trying Cymbalta and boy was that strange.....so back to the Wellbutrin as well.

I also messed up the first part of last month -- change in carrier/mail in pharmacy bothering to ask the doctor for a new prescription, etc. and knew I was running out, so I started spacing them out to make sure they lasted but was out completely for over a week and a half....at the end of that time my pain was so bad, I was totally miserable and I couldn't stay awake. I wasn't sure what was going on but I was soooo sick and so exhausted I was wondering if it might be the wellbutrin and watching the mailbox like a hawk.

Once I started back on it I wasn't sure for awhile because it takes about a week to get going but as each day went by I got slowly better and I am now about back where I was when I ran out.

I didn't ever think of it as helping me with the Fibro because I'd been on it way before I was diagnosed but I now think that it really helps me with my pain as well as energy.

Best wishes,
    Sherri
  9. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

Hi,

I also was taking Wellbutrin long before being diagnosed with both CFS and FM. I never thought about Wellbutrin helping with the pain. I'll need to pay attention as I go back on the Wellbutrin.

Sounds like you had a nightmare last month! I'm glad to know you finally received your Wellbutrin.

Yea for Wellbutrin!!
    Auntyem
  10. zena01

zena01 New Member

Hi Aunty!

If it does improve how your pain's been lately, I'd like to check in with others who take Wellbutrin
    as well -- if it is helping quite a few we should probably recommend it so everyone knows. It may not help a lot of us,, but even if it helps a few ....... maybe it will be something we can recommend for pain, who knows?

I just know I LOVE my Wellbutrin!!! It has made a big, huge, difference in my life! All the other antidepressants I had tried bothered me for whatever reasons, and I was so happy when I found this! One that worked and didn't make me nuts with side effects! And now the added bonus as I think it helps with pain....

Take care,
    Sherri
    [This Message was Edited on 05/11/2006]
  11. Thistledown

Thistledown New Member

extended release formula, boosted me a ton...now I don't need it anymore.
  12. petsrme

petsrme Member

wellbutrin is the only one I have found to help with energy. It didn't seem to help enough for me with my sadness and crying so I am now on paxil, but maybe you can try it and see if it will help you. My doctor said it has many benefits. It is supposed to help with sex drive, weight loss, energy and smoking cessation. Give it a try, it may be what you need.

PS Sharon, your highs and lows of energy might be a sign of bipolarism. I suspect I may be bipolar. Just something to look into. Best wishes.
  13. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

I am so happy I have you guys to tell this to, but I think sometimes I am nuts to go along with all of this fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue. Or I don't know if it is the side affects of the meds/menopause/or maybe I am ADD or bi-polar or WHAT?? but I have never been diagnosed with anything else than fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue, and depression. I am on all the same meds as we all get for this...However, let me tell you I can swing into some weird moods sometimes, is actually makes me wonder what the hell is going on. My sister is an astroligist (professionally) and she goes by this stuff, she tells me its because of my sign..(sagitaurius) we are suppossed to be all over the place anyways. Then I wonder if it is because I am a recovering alcoholic. Therefore feeling feelings I used to numb with alcohol. But I can go from one mood to another mood every hour, or min. sometimes. I will be so happy one hour, then the next I am crying, then I am suspious, then I am so sad my life has turned out this way, then I am very angry, then I have accepted everything, then I don't want to answer my phone, then I get turned off with everyone, then I decide one thing, then I have decided another, my descions change every minute about things, I am up, then down, I love life, I hate life, it goes on and on, I look at call display on my phone, then decide if I am going to answer the phone, depending on who it is... My head is such a busy neighbourhood, with all kinds of different thoughts and emotions going on. I don't need company, I am my own company...I am so full of differnt moods at times, I don't like it. This is not all the time, but when it comes it really comes. This dd, has really effected all aspects of my life, as my whole life revolves around it unfortuneatly, as I can not plan, it has affected me finacially, emotionally, phycially, mentally, and of course spirtually...My doctor says that Topomax is also for moods swings, who knows, they say one thing then another. I just know I am not the same woman as I used to be, and I guess I just grieve sometimes for the old me. I have a supportive boyfriend, he notices the moods too, he laughs at them, he thinks its exciting, lol....never knows what to expect with me...He goes by the horoscope thing too....funny eh? oh well I just had to get this off of my shoulders. I wonder at times if I am ADD, I have all the dam symptoms if I look into it. I am not organized, loose everything (I mean everything) forget everything) etc...or is this the Fibro fog...Oh gezz....the list can go on and on....crazy old me up here in the wild city of Montreal, Que. Canada...Sharon5650
  14. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Wellbutrin, my doctor said, would give me more energy. It just made me jittery but everybody's different (we should get that made into a bumper sticker). And yes, if you're taking the Trazadone during the day, you might find it to be sedating.

Another doctor told me that Wellbutrin is not always well tolerated by people who have a lot of anxiety. That would be me and probably the reason for the jittery-ness.)

Marta
  15. carebelle

carebelle New Member

wellbutrin will put weight on you.It did me