Help Available, Only for the Well Enough

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Jun 11, 2008.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I spent some time yesterday checking around my area for what types of programs are available for those who have a very small disability income. And what I found was, anything that is available, you have to be well enough to go get it or go to their appointments. If you aren't, you are just plain out of luck. They have food and clothing programs here, but if you aren't well enough to get there, too bad. Some programs are also age based. If you aren't a senior citizen, you're out of luck. If you are fairly young and disabled, too bad, there's nothing available. If you are fairly young and have no children, there is even less available to you. There is very little help for someone severely afflicted by CFIDS/FM/ME.

Those of us who have it severe, often times, we can't leave our homes. We can't make it to appointments. We can't get out there and get the things available to us. I really don't know what we're supposed to do. Even a good program like Angel Food Ministries, if you miss the pickup date for the food, even though you paid for it, they will give your food away. You will lose the money if you are not well enough on that one day for those few hours to pick your food up.

What I realized was that those with severe CFIDS/ME/FM are more disabled than just about anything anyone can name. And we need a different kind of help.
  2. landra

landra New Member

Maybe someone in the family or among friends would help you get to the appointment? It would be a one-time service that would pay off immensely for you. With gas prices what they are, maybe you could offer to pay for gas or to help out with it?
  3. mezombie

mezombie Member

but discovered that's not the case. I just posted a thread about getting a helper through the county. This is through their Aging and Disability service. I'm disabled, and, like you, not a senior.

I don't know if the person I'm assigned to is someone who will help me get to places. I know that in some cases they will.

I also was on Meals on Wheels for a time. Volunteers deliver two meals daily directly to your home.

If you're interested in this program, check out

You might also want to check with local churches, synagogues, and related non-profits.

I know how frustrating this is. All I can say is perseverance pays off. It did for me.