HELP: BAD sore throat won't go away

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by VickyB, Apr 3, 2003.

1. VickyB

VickyB New Member

Hi all!! I have been really sick lately with a VERY bad sore throat that I cannot get rid off. I have not been able to get out of bed the last couple of days and my throat is raw from wheezy cough. I have been using cold-e eze but it has not been helping.
    Does anyone have any suggestions???
    CFIDS is bad enough without this on top of it!! Please help if you can.
    Thanks, Vicky
  2. Peace7

Peace7 New Member

Do you by any chance have asthma?

A wheezy cough or a dry cough is sometimes my only symptom of asthma trouble.

Can someone help you get to a doctor?

In the meantime, do you have any zinc lozenges?

Also helpful - Throat Coat Tea available at health food stores and grocery stores with a health food dept.
    Until you can get that, try drinking tea (any kind) with honey.

or try cutting up an onion and placing in a small pan with at least 2 cups of water on simmer (lowest heat) for a couple hours. When the liquid becomes like syrup, drink it.

Do you have any cough drops or even some hard mint candy to suck on?

Anne
  3. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I will try all of your suggestions. My son has asthma and I used his inhaler which seemed to help a little. Thanks again!!
  4. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Sore throats can be allieviated instantly by gargling and swallowing with a couple of SOLUBLE DISPRIN in some water.
    It beats anything else you can buy over the counter...

If that doesnt work , then you have a different problem which will be helped by taking some capsules by higher nature which have, Echinacea, Black Elderberry, Myrrh and Olive leaf Extract in.

Neither of these are expensive and have worked for us.

Love pat.
  5. Gardengal

Gardengal New Member

The last time I had strep throat I had to (gross out alert) spit my saliva in the sink instead of swallowing for 24-48 hours until the antibiotics helped. Silly me, I thought I would bounce back in 12 hours like my kids do. The kicker is, when I called back the acute care center (I went in on a Saturday) they told me to use Cloraseptic lozenges or tea - although I had called me back because I could not swallow at all!

Anyway, I did not have a cough with it, but strep in an adult can come on suddendly and is VERY painful. It just knocks me on my feet, too. I began to feel sick on Friday p.m. and by the time I got to the doctor on Saturday they said it would have hit my bloodstream in another 24 hours.

Hope you feel better - and sorry for rambling! Peace, Amy
  6. VickyB

VickyB New Member

Everyone in my family has come down with this sore throat. I still have dry, wheezy cough. I have been coughing up yellow gunk so I guess I better break down and go to the doctor. My 4 yr. old has been running fever and crying about her throat.
    Does anyone know how long to wait before going to doctor??
    We should get a group discount for the whole family-too bad there aren't discount coupons
  7. Dara

Dara New Member

I hope that you've gone to the doctor by now. A very good friend of my daughters had a sore throat for several days and was just hoping it would go away on it's own. He ended up in the ER and then in ICU for three days, by the time he got to the hospital his throat was closing and he was septic. Don't mess with a strep throat, it also causes rheumatic fever which causes heart murmurs. If you have it then probably the children do too. I do know there's a really nasty virus out there, I had it off and on for over two months, I took three different types of anti-biotics before it finally went away. I also had to use the inhaler for asthma. Even if it's just the virus, sounds like you are definitely ready for an anti-biotic.

Dara
  8. babyblues68

babyblues68 New Member

I've had the same problem for about 3 weeks now. I thought it was just the weather changing. Thrusday morning I woke up my throat hurt so bad and I went into a coughing fit. Then it hurt so bad to breath in and out. Than it hit me I'm having an asthma attack. My daughter has had asthma since she was 9 months old, she's five now. So I've had alot of experience with asthma. I took a breathing treatment and it helped.

I went to the doctor yesterday and he checked me out. He did a peak-flow test and some others. I have asthma and pneumonia. I've always had respritory problems brochitis, pneumonia and plursey, but never thought I would be diagonised with asthma.

Don't let it go on too long without checking with your doctor. If it's strep....you need antibotics.

Tammy
    [This Message was Edited on 04/05/2003]
  9. j9miller

j9miller New Member

for the same thing on Monday, 3/31. The dr gave me a steroid shot that helped alot. I am now having HORRIBLE congestion and that is miserable too. NOTHING is helping that. All that gets dried up is my mouth. Uugh!!! My dad went to the dr yesterday for the same thing and he got an antibiotic. Funny how different drs treat the same thing so differently. My dad and I also have conjuctivitis with the sore throat.
    Take care.

Janine